Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofit complete! I have "the button" now ☣️

su2aoP.jpeg

Replacement HEPA filter is $90 (pair), and I was told it can be replaced every 2 years.

However, replacing it does not seem easy. The frunk lid overlaps the HEPA filter assembly, so the filter cannot be easily accessed as the non-HEPA version.

su2GmZ.jpeg

suAH6r.jpeg

You either have to remove the frunk, or remove the windshield washer tank. Then lift up the entire HEPA assembly out, to dismantle it to get to the HEPA filters inside. There are also 10 bolts on the HEPA assembly that needs to be removed, which keep the entire box well-sealed. Tesla has instructions for this. My technician recommended I make a service visit to replace the HEPA filter, rather than DIY.

Also, because of the new HEPA filter up front, I was also told that the cabin filters ($17 each) can be replaced every 2 years, instead of every year. They will get less dirty because the air is already pre-filtered by HEPA.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and Mike_TV

su2aoP.jpeg

Replacement HEPA filter is $90 (pair), and I was told it can be replaced every 2 years.

However, replacing it does not seem easy. The frunk lid overlaps the HEPA filter assembly, so the filter cannot be easily accessed as the non-HEPA version.

su2GmZ.jpeg

suAH6r.jpeg

You either have to remove the frunk, or remove the windshield washer tank. Then lift up the entire HEPA assembly out, to dismantle it to get to the HEPA filters inside. There are also 10 bolts on the HEPA assembly that needs to be removed, which keep the entire box well-sealed. Tesla has instructions for this. My technician recommended I make a service visit to replace the HEPA filter, rather than DIY.

Also, because of the new HEPA filter up front, I was also told that the cabin filters ($17 each) can be replaced every 2 years, instead of every year. They will get less dirty because the air is already pre-filtered by HEPA.

The owner’s manual and the Tesla Shop say the HEPA can be replaced every three years. Of course YMMV, etc.

I like that the new snorkel from the HEPA to the firewall appears to solve the water intrusion issue that could cause the cabin filters to smell.

Question for the group: Do you pronounce it “he-pa” (like heap+a) or “hep-a” (like hep+a)??

I’ve got a friend who worked in the nuclear energy field for years and he says it’s HEAP-a. I say hep-a.

Spent a week in my cousins brand new MYP and the wife and I could definitely feel the difference in air quality, especially in the outside smell factor. We have an appointment set for next week. It already got pushed twice because the parts are not here though.
Question for the group: Do you pronounce it “he-pa” (like heap+a) or “hep-a” (like hep+a)??

I’ve got a friend who worked in the nuclear energy field for years and he says it’s HEAP-a. I say hep-a.
I don’t know what relation exists between nuclear energy and hepa, but knowing hepa stands for high EFFICIENCY particulate air, i like to pronounce the E as hep+a.

Spent a week in my cousins brand new MYP and the wife and I could definitely feel the difference in air quality, especially in the outside smell factor. We have an appointment set for next week. It already got pushed twice because the parts are not here though.

I don’t know what relation exists between nuclear energy and hepa, but knowing hepa stands for high EFFICIENCY particulate air, i like to pronounce the E as hep+a.
Sorry, I meant to type nuclear energy 'research'. The facility he worked in used tons of HEPA filters for clean rooms, etc. apparently.

He said that when a new shipment of filters was delivered, they would say, "That's a whole heap of HEPA (heap-a) filters!" haha!!

I still say "hep-a" just to needle him, haha!!

su2aoP.jpeg

su2GmZ.jpeg

suAH6r.jpeg

very easy to do yourself. like VERY easy. I have videos on removing the frunk

Reactions: whisperingshad
That translates to putting the fan on the highest setting which is rather annoying due to the noise by the way. The benefits of the filter without pressing the bio button are still there since all outside air must now come through the hepa filter even with the fan on low. Only difference is it will not create positive cabin pressure.
So how is positive pressure achieved? Presumably the Hepa filters are in use in Bio Defense mode. I had mobile tech to the install so I don't know if the retrofit somehow seals outside air from being drawn into the Hepa filters.

So how is positive pressure achieved? Presumably the Hepa filters are in use in Bio Defense mode. I had mobile tech to the install so I don't know if the retrofit somehow seals outside air from being drawn into the Hepa filters.
All outside air is drawn in through the Hepa filter via the fan regarless of fan speed however there may be small leaks in the weather stripping or fire wall or anywhere for that matter. By putting the fan on high, it creates a positive pressure inside the car eliminating the possibility of outside air from the leaky places from entering. All the biodefense mode feature does is put the fan on high. Pretty simple and basic.

All outside air is drawn in through the Hepa filter via the fan regarless of fan speed however there may be small leaks in the weather stripping or fire wall or anywhere for that matter. By putting the fan on high, it creates a positive pressure inside the car eliminating the possibility of outside air from the leaky places from entering. All the biodefense mode feature does is put the fan on high. Pretty simple and basic.
It also looks to slightly open the blower blender door, which can be seen in service mode

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
Not sure if the retrofit kit is anything like the one installed from the factory (I'm assuming it is), but based on this video (removed HEPA filter, part of coilover install procedure), you can easily remove the HEPA assembly without removing the frunk.

See the 1:10 minute mark on this video. Just 1 push clip and 2 x 10mm bolts

I have HEPA filter installed since 2022 and I love it (HEPA filter assembly, new duct and new style apron). I have no issues with air flow in auto mode, but I was missing a bio-defense button. I've scheduled the retrofit service for next Tuesday and approved $330 estimate. I hope I won't be charged for parts again. We'll see.
Quick update from my side. A day before appointment I've messaged Tesla Service reminding them that I've installed retrofit myself and I just need the settings change in my car. They've updated the estimate from $330 to $34 and on the day of visit it was updated to $0 (Goodwill service). When mobile service technician arrived, he opened the frunk to validate that I have the HEPA filter (without removing the cowl), connected the computer and changed the fan setting. After a reboot, I have biohazard mode button, plus I feel that climate control in medium fan speed blows the same as in high before. Whole visit took less than 10 minutes and cost me $0. I'm very much satisfied!

Finally got the BioWeapon Defense Mode Button today!

I had already purchased the parts a few months ago and installed them myself but was unable to convince them to update my software to add the button. Since the retrofit option came out, I made a new appointment to get the retrofit and they quoted me the full $316 but I let them know in the messages through the app that I already had the hardware installed. They told me that I would still need to pay for the full retrofit. I just didn't respond and then on the day of my appointment they showed up and I explained it to the guy. He took a look and inspected that I already had the parts and that they were genuine Tesla parts and they are installed correctly. He called the shop and they told him he could update the software and just needed to take pictures of the parts installed on my car. He updated the software and only charged $25.50 for time spent. Hope this help anyone else in the same spot as I was with having the parts already but just needing the software update.

So, Finally got my, "BioWeapon Defense Mode Button". Took the technician no more than 3 minutes. He took out his laptop and bam the magical button appears. The darn bio button cost me $129 + nyc tax total of $140.45.

Now, the sad and frustrating part was trying to get the appointment going through the Tesla's was a freakin nightmare(Maybe those folks in Long Island city, NYC service center only). We went back and forth changing my appointment. 1 said you are all set. The next text said NO, you can't do it or you need the parts or they don't do this in Long Island city service center. The sad part I told them many times I've already installed HEPA and all I need just the darn button. At the end they don't even know how much to charge me. So, they were like this the least amount I can enter on my computer. I was like ehh, just get it over with. Well, don't mind paying but the time wasting back and forth. TERRIBLE.

So, Finally got my, "BioWeapon Defense Mode Button". Took the technician no more than 3 minutes. He took out his laptop and bam the magical button appears. The darn bio button cost me $129 + nyc tax total of $140.45.

Now, the sad and frustrating part was trying to get the appointment going through the Tesla's was a freakin nightmare(Maybe those folks in Long Island city, NYC service center only). We went back and forth changing my appointment. 1 said you are all set. The next text said NO, you can't do it or you need the parts or they don't do this in Long Island city service center. The sad part I told them many times I've already installed HEPA and all I need just the darn button. At the end they don't even know how much to charge me. So, they were like this the least amount I can enter on my computer. I was like ehh, just get it over with. Well, don't mind paying but the time wasting back and forth. TERRIBLE.

Glad you got it all worked out, eventually.

My mobile service appointment for this Friday 12/22 got pushed to 1/2 for lack of parts... I live in Long Island, and work in Brooklyn, so the Brooklyn SC is performing the job while in my work parking lot.

Glad you got it all worked out, eventually.

My mobile service appointment for this Friday 12/22 got pushed to 1/2 for lack of parts... I live in Long Island, and work in Brooklyn, so the Brooklyn SC is performing the job while in my work parking lot.
Kool. Had a good experience with them. bought the HEPA parts from them as well. BUT parking, oh man, TERRIBLE. Impossible.

I bought my 2019 TMY back in January from the Brooklyn SC... That was fun. I picked my 2021 TMY in May from Smithtown, that was much easier.
Smithtown.. should of gone there earlier. Went to Roslyn. Boy was it a nightmare trying to get some1's attention. Wish Tesla opening up more locations in NYC. Actually what they really need is the darn service center.

Smithtown.. should of gone there earlier. Went to Roslyn. Boy was it a nightmare trying to get some1's attention. Wish Tesla opening up more locations in NYC. Actually what they really need is the darn service center.

My regular go to is Syosset, but they do not take deliveries (or they didn't when I got mine two this year). They know me there, and always do a fantastic job of taking care of me. Tesla is opening a Westbury location (even closer to me) that is HUGE.

But since I work in BK, and you know this area, I can only drop off my Y at Syosset over the weekend, so my mobile service is always in BK. My wife gets the 3 mobile serviced at home (she gets home early enough), or at her job by the Syosset SC.