TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HEPA filter retrofit to Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vlakinana, Mar 4, 2019.

?

Do you believe TESLA Dublin California Service center?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2019.
  1. Yes

20.0%
  2. NO

80.0%
  1. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I got it installed today by a mobile ranger. I asked if the software needed to be updated to get the bioweapon button but he wasn't aware of one. I asked him to send the car the latest software update since mine is three months old now. I got the version I already had. 2018.50.6

The HVAC control is missing the bioweapon icon that I saw in the loaner I drove.

2. zanary

zanary Member

You already have the right software, the option code needs to be activated via the cable underneath the screen inside that cubby... The technician is supposed to plus in their computer in it, and turn on the option code for Bio Defense Mode. This then activated the feature in the HVAC UI for the current 2018.50.6 software you have.

• Informative x 2
  3. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

Thanks. I scheduled a service appointment.

4. kev1n

kev1n Member

anyone tried doing this on pre-facelift car? looks do-able if you replace the frunk and add the tubing in

5. IGotEastBay

IGotEastBay Member

I bought the $500 Bio Weapon upgrade and it does come with the filter and installation. I had mobile service do it and he brought the part with him and activated Bio Weapon button with his laptop connected to the car. Showed up right away.

Was a real simple installation (it just snaps onto the frunk) if you know the steps, although he did break a few clips that he had to replace.

6. Flyguy

Flyguy Member

Is it literally just the filter, or does the assembly, or any other part (besides clips) also get replaced?

7. toolioiep

toolioiep Member

Anyone done this in Canada? Any insight into cost in CAD?

8. TonyT

TonyT Member

Hmm. This is a interesting one. Don’t really want to give up the frunk. But kinda want bio defense mode. Going to have to see if I can find the parts cheap... deciding if I will accept the challenge...

• Disagree x 1
  9. kev1n

kev1n Member

i would be more curious if tesla will turn it on for you in the software or is this even required?

their likely answer will be that this cannot be done but you show up with a car that has it done already lol

10. TonyT

TonyT Member

Well I will be keeping my eyes open for the parts.... if I stumble across them cheap I will likely install them... kinda how I started with the heated steering wheel which is at 50% complete now.

11. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

Tesla was able to change the option code over the air so I ended up not needing a visit at the service center nor from a mobile tech.

• Like x 2
  12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I got a new S that came with biodefense mode enabled, but compared to my wife's X, it doesn't really seem to do much. Following her home the other day I mentioned when we got home how biodefense didn't seem to work on manure. She said hers handled it just fine.

Anyone know how easy it is to pop the frunk open and ensure there's a filter actually in there?

13. _knag

_knag Member

Vlakinana,
    I had a mobile ranger come out to install the filter this past weeked. When he took out the frunk bin, there was a filter already installed. Since I already paid for a new one I asked him to install the new one and then proceeded to install the biohazard button. We were both shocked to see the filter already installed, but my car was built around the time they were starting to include biohazard as standard. So we think Tesla may have just started to install it on all being built at the time. Now I have the old one in a bag waiting for the new one to get old. I think you were in a similar situation where you already had one installed and they just left the old one in the trunk.

14. Ronko

Ronko Member

I just ordered the HEPA filter from Tesla as we plan to do some road tripping this Summer and so many fires and smoke out this way, best to plan ahead. It is $500 installed they say will set appointment when arrives, my 2017 S was build Jan 2017 and does not have HEPA.
    Hopefully all will go well, if any relevant info to this thread I will update.

15. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I tried to put the Hepa filter to the test when I was behind a truck spewing black and smelly exhaust. After I pushed the button, it took maybe a block or two before the air was breathable. Is that delay to be expected?

• Informative x 1
  16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It wasn't in my wife's X, but that's about normal in my S.

17. oscure

oscure Member

If you have a 2016 with the refresh you can install the Hepa Filter. Here is a video I did when I installed mine to my 9/2016 model s.

Once installed you can ask the Service Center to update the software for the Biodefense button. I think they can send a tesla ranger to do it or over the air maybe.

18. Alexbv

Alexbv Member

Did u manage to find any better deals on parts? Ty

19. TonyT

TonyT Member

It's very low on my priority list. Have not seen it yet.

20. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It's been 3 months. So, what's the verdict on the cheating please?