Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here comes another Tesla crash ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an interesting article on the subject of car door handle designs and crash safety, with a focus on Teslas and this crash in particular:

After fiery Tesla crash, a closer look at how door locks work in emergencies

It doesn't, however, have any explanation for why the Model S door handles didn't extend in this case, other than to point out that it didn't work as intended.

If there was no power (due to 12V battery getting crush in impact) would mean no power unlock, and no power to extend the handles. To get around this, the system would need local batteries or ultracaps at each door module to power them in the event of a catastrophic crash event (you could use fail safe drives, but those would draw power all the time).

Reactions: OPRCE
If there was no power (due to 12V battery getting crush in impact) would mean no power unlock, and no power to extend the handles. To get around this, the system would need local batteries or ultracaps at each door module to power them in the event of a catastrophic crash event (you could use fail safe drives, but those would draw power all the time).
Or a spring mechanism that released the door handle upon the loss of power.

Or a spring mechanism that released the door handle upon the loss of power.

Which would draw power all the time, and still be worthless because all the handle does is press a micro-switch to trigger the latch to release. i.e. it needs power.

If the handle doesn't present, or work, you have to break the window and use the internal manual handle.

Which would draw power all the time, and still be worthless because all the handle does is press a micro-switch to trigger the latch to release. i.e. it needs power.

If the handle doesn't present, or work, you have to break the window and use the internal manual handle.
There are very low power ways to do this. You could even make the doors unlock upon loss of power. I'm just saying it is a very solvable issue. There is no fundamental issue involved.

Do any other automakers have vehicles with handles that are recessed and can't be grabbed until a powered motor extends them out?

And do other automakers have vehicles with exterior door handles that have no physical connection to the door's latch mechanism?

And, finally, do any non-Tesla vehicles fall into both of these categories? (I'd guess not, but idk for sure.)

Do any other automakers have vehicles with handles that are recessed and can't be grabbed until a powered motor extends them out?

And do other automakers have vehicles with exterior door handles that have no physical connection to the door's latch mechanism?

And, finally, do any non-Tesla vehicles fall into both of these categories? (I'd guess not, but idk for sure.)
Not sure. My bets, BMW Z1 (not US legal), TVR Tuscan, and Chevrolet Corvette C6/ Cadillac XLR/ Cadillac CTS Coupe

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

McLaren even has one that the exterior "handle" is a sensor that detects you swiping across a body panel. (Nothing you can pull/push/etc.)

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311