Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's a cool feature that should be added re: superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we are at it, a "feature" I really would like is to have the SC stalls covered with a roof; it will shelter you and the car from the sun during summer and from rain/snow during winter.

This ^. I'm in the south and preferred parking spots are not closest to the buildings, but shady.

As for the original subject of this thread, it'd be nice if when a supercharger bay was out of service they removed it from teh number of empty boxes on the nav display. The Columbia SC supercharger had one bay that was out of service and simply showed as two bays in use all the time... this caused me no end of angst when we arrived and there was no other tesla owner there to talk to. (snicker).

Something I do genuinely think would be cool would be "Tesla radar" on the nav... show us nearby tesla owners (who opt in) on the map. Not any fast updates, certainly not real time, just an icon on the map to show how many there are around you.... great for playing "punch buggy" with kids on a road trip.

As we are at it, a "feature" I really would like is to have the SC stalls covered with a roof; it will shelter you and the car from the sun during summer and from rain/snow during winter.

This subject came up quite some time ago talking about solar panels and superchargers. It's obvious once you hear it, but it's all about permitting. Government officials get nervous when you start putting heavy things over the top of people's heads. Permitting takes many, many times longer.

Reactions: f205v
Nice idea but would also need a camera to show how may cars are WAITING to charge. It can be a huge line in Cali.

They could always adopt the sensor that some parking garages use. In DC metro area, there are parking garages that tell you how many spaces are open and on what floor. Some even have a red or green light above the spot to quickly identify the open space.

Tesla could and should do more to further improve the usability of the supercharger/destination charger network. Both are benefits of owning a Tesla, that will likely not be available from any other manufacturer.

Rather than investing in sensors/networking technology at each supercharger, Tesla could do more to utilize the data they are already collecting, plus add the ability for drivers to report issues through the onboard or smartphone apps (such as blocked charging spots).

And then provide this information to the onboard and smartphone apps.

Especially for superchargers located between cities, Tesla could also predict likely charging times/contention. They know what vehicles are approaching the superchargers, how many spots are available, the charging rates of the currently used chargers, and how much charge each vehicle will likely need (estimating time-at-charger for each vehicle). Tesla could use this to predict what the charging stop would look like (and if there is another supercharger in range, could even recommend skipping a charger and going to the next).

The onboard software could also recommend specific charging spots, based on current usage.

Tesla also knows how well each charger is working. We had problems charging a few months ago - I called to report the problem to Tesla - and their response was "yes, we know that's a problem" and then read off the degraded charging performance of each charging spot. Why can't they provide us that information - so we don't learn it the hardware by parking, plugging, charging and then moving to another charging spot to find one that is working well???

This ^. I'm in the south and preferred parking spots are not closest to the buildings, but shady.

As for the original subject of this thread, it'd be nice if when a supercharger bay was out of service they removed it from teh number of empty boxes on the nav display. The Columbia SC supercharger had one bay that was out of service and simply showed as two bays in use all the time... this caused me no end of angst when we arrived and there was no other tesla owner there to talk to. (snicker).

Something I do genuinely think would be cool would be "Tesla radar" on the nav... show us nearby tesla owners (who opt in) on the map. Not any fast updates, certainly not real time, just an icon on the map to show how many there are around you.... great for playing "punch buggy" with kids on a road trip.
What lol
I don’t think you’re gonna get too many owners to opt into that one