Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's the million dollar question: where's the promised 35k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’ve figured it out!

OP is upset that his salesperson told him that SR has cloth seats because had he believed the salesperson he would have paid the extra money for the SR+ to get the upgraded vegan leather seats. So he thinks the salesperson lied to him to try and upsell him to an SR+ by telling him the SR would have inferior materials, which was not correct. So he has since figured this out and downgraded to an SR, but is posting his rant to warn other people who might unnecessarily upgrade to an SR+ because of similar misinformation being provided by the Tesla salespeople.

Did I get it right?:)

OP is upset that his salesperson told him that SR has cloth seats because had he believed the salesperson he would have paid the extra money for the SR+ to get the upgraded vegan leather seats. So he thinks the salesperson lied to him to try and upsell him to an SR+ by telling him the SR would have inferior materials, which was not correct. So he has since figured this out and downgraded to an SR, but is posting his rant to warn other people who might unnecessarily upgrade to an SR+ because of similar misinformation being provided by the Tesla salespeople.

Great. Now I have a headache. Thanks dude.

Any chance we can all send him a buck and he can go get cloth seat covers at Canadian tire?

Just sayin.

To be fair, the sales people were just as in the dark as everyone else and were well-meaning in trying to get people to upgrade. $2000 (later $2500) for 20 more miles, quicker acceleration, and partial premium is a steal.

But I’d agree with the OP and others that SR+ was meant as an upsell with Tesla hoping that the vast majority of people would take the bait. However it wasn’t with devious intent. It was a genuine market experiment. Because enough people took the bait (and they did, at a 6:1 ratio), Tesla benefits by not having to produce another variant (saves money in production efficiency and supply chain). Customers wanting the $35k car benefit because the SR car is now essentially the same as the SR+ car. And anyone that felt cheated getting the SR+ car because they thought the SR was too stripped down has been offered the option to downgrade and get a refund for the difference. Seems like everyone wins and it was a brilliant move.

Reactions: ry-ballz and xtcEV
Yes the complaining helps.
It helps the other ppl, who are undecided on either purchasing the SR or the SR+.
Its description isnt on the website as it is an off menu choice. As for calling an Advisor, some are aware and some are not.

There is a method of informing people (using Canadian freedom of speech) while being civil without coming across like a hardline activist as well as disenfranchising others. Of course, positive, informative, upbeat threads tend to be much shorter...:)

Of course I agree with OP that Tesla lied their butts off getting idiots like me to upgrade to the Plus. They knew the SR never existed, way in advance, so it was a premeditated scam.
As long as I get my refund, including taxes, back and "downgrade" the name of my car, I'll not be so hostile towards Tesla. I will however encourage other SR+ buyers in my area to also downgrade the name of their car for 5k.
I've since cancelled my Model Y order (top spec) and sold a vast majority of my shares (thanks, at least, Tesla for the big profits). Now looking to buy the R1S when it arrives. Hopefully that company will be less scammy.
I've never been so disappointed in a company, and person frankly, I'd admired so much for so long.
The right thing to do, and financially wise, would be to offer something up to differentiate the Plus from the non. I doubt they care enough to do that. They'll have calculated how many people will not bother asking for a name downgrade.
Reminds me of drug companies selling something toxic, knowing that after they get busted the profit will still outweigh the legal costs.

Of course I agree with OP that Tesla lied their butts off getting idiots like me to upgrade to the Plus. They knew the SR never existed, way in advance, so it was a premeditated scam.
As long as I get my refund, including taxes, back and "downgrade" the name of my car, I'll not be so hostile towards Tesla. I will however encourage other SR+ buyers in my area to also downgrade the name of their car for 5k.
I've since cancelled my Model Y order (top spec) and sold a vast majority of my shares (thanks, at least, Tesla for the big profits). Now looking to buy the R1S when it arrives. Hopefully that company will be less scammy.
I've never been so disappointed in a company, and person frankly, I'd admired so much for so long.
The right thing to do, and financially wise, would be to offer something up to differentiate the Plus from the non. I doubt they care enough to do that. They'll have calculated how many people will not bother asking for a name downgrade.
Reminds me of drug companies selling something toxic, knowing that after they get busted the profit will still outweigh the legal costs.

You really think changing all the orders and issuing refunds and all is preferred??

I think it was more like .....

Let’s start selling SR & SR+.
<goes on sale>
Many SR+ orders come in, very few SR.

Mgmt: What’s it cost to spin up the “economy” seat line? $xx million.

Mgmt: What’s the cost to just give the SR orders the regular seat? $X million.

Easy decision. Much more cost effective to “give away” the regular seats than to spin up a separate production line of seats.

I don’t believe it’s malicious or scammy AT ALL .... just simple economics.

The problem, at the core, is that Tesla is wearing it all on their sleeves. They’re too transparent. They’re making business decisions that are visible. Rapidly.

In the Big 3 world, in a similar scenario, they would’ve made the second seat line, taken a bath on it, discontinued it for the 2020 model year, and de-contented the glovebox light on all trim levels to make back the difference.

Which would you prefer?

... Tesla lied their butts off getting idiots like me to upgrade to the Plus. ... it was a premeditated scam.
... Hopefully that company will be less scammy.
...I doubt they care enough to do that.
...Reminds me of drug companies selling something toxic
You realize that all that hyperbole and bitterness wrapped up in statements you have no actual proof of make it even less likely that anyone will take your post seriously? You're taking what was essentially a production decision and turning it into some personal affront where Elon and the top executives looked for your order specifically and said "what can we do to make him angry"?

I've since cancelled my Model Y order (top spec) and sold a vast majority of my shares (thanks, at least, Tesla for the big profits). Now looking to buy the R1S when it arrives.
You're telling us this why? Now you sound like all the people last year that logged in just to tell us they were cancelling their reservations.

The right thing to do, and financially wise, would be to offer something up to differentiate the Plus from the non. They'll have calculated how many people will not bother asking for a name downgrade.
What the heck is a name downgrade? You're not even making sense now. And there is a difference between the SR and the SR+, if you don't think it's enough of a difference to justify the price then you're more than welcome to do exactly what you're doing and return it.

I can't believe how many people are mad because they got exactly what they paid for, simply due to the fact that other people got some stuff free.

People like this are literally the reason we can't have anything nice.
I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: dmurphy
If you want AP, the SR is $35K + $3K = $38K. That brings it to within $1,500 of the SR+. Whether the small differences between SR and SR+ are worth $1,500 is for you to decide.

If you don’t want AP, SR is a great value. You can’t order an SR+ without AP. That is what creates the majority of the price difference between the two models.

When people argue that $4,500 is way too much extra to charge for the SR+, I think they are forgetting that AP is $3,000 of the $4,500. I like the fact that you can still order an SR with or without AP. But it seems to be making a lot of people angry that there is such a large delta between the two models.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
If you want AP, the SR is $35K + $3K = $38K. That brings it to within $1,500 of the SR+. Whether the small differences between SR and SR+ are worth $1,500 is for you to decide.

If you don’t want AP, SR is a great value. You can’t order an SR+ without AP. That is what creates the majority of the price difference between the two models.

When people argue that $4,500 is way too much extra to charge for the SR+, I think they are forgetting that AP is $3,000 of the $4,500. I like the fact that you can still order an SR with or without AP. But it seems to be making a lot of people angry that there is such a large delta between the two models.
Personally, i think the Dumb down version of AP compared to when it was EAP is a fancy cruise control. When i researched before EAP had alot of features that are in FSD now.
Auto steer at its intelligence level now is only good fir me on straightways. From what i seen it takes too long to overtake vehicles and phatham braking would get on my nerves.
When they refine the features in AP and FSD, maybe then ill pay that extra money to get them.

You realize that all that hyperbole and bitterness wrapped up in statements you have no actual proof of make it even less likely that anyone will take your post seriously? You're taking what was essentially a production decision and turning it into some personal affront where Elon and the top executives looked for your order specifically and said "what can we do to make him angry"?

You're telling us this why? Now you sound like all the people last year that logged in just to tell us they were cancelling their reservations.

What the heck is a name downgrade? You're not even making sense now. And there is a difference between the SR and the SR+, if you don't think it's enough of a difference to justify the price then you're more than welcome to do exactly what you're doing and return it.

I couldn't agree more.

My proof is: Tesla advertised a delivery date that would have required them to have certain hardware components (seats/consoles/mirrors) in the production pipeline far ahead of any such announcement. I don't understand how it is you're coming to the conclusion that I'm feeling Tesla singled me out in order to tweak my emotions. The money is irrelevant to me apart from what it stands for. It's the scammy business practices that impact thousands of people, most unsuspecting, that bother me most. Returning (virtually) the Plus for an SR, and advertising the fact for those who know no better, would seem to be the right thing to do.

As a former longstanding (2006) Tesla fanboy (and Musk fanboy before that), I can see why your enthusiasm for the company would cause you to project your emotions onto me, but it's hardly a case of 'hyperbole and bitterness' from my point of view. The example I gave of a drug company calculating costs vs the benefits, or a 'caring' factor, are absolutely appropriate. Unless physical proof of tens of thousands of parts slated for the SR manifest somehow, it's my assertion that Tesla never intended to produce the SR, and talked people into the Plus in an attempt to show what low demand the SR has. They sold the Plus on a bed of lies to thousands of unsuspecting customers, would not discuss the SR with anyone (including multiple media inquiries) before the sudden announcement that the Plus is the SR, and have offered a tortuous path of misinformation and delays in allowing people to revert their orders.

I'm telling you I've sold my shares and cancelled my order for the Y in hopes that others will do the same. I've lost trust in the company and am on the sidelines for now. They simply either don't respond to reasonable requests for information, or respond with misinformation and conjecture on the numerous attempts I've made to gather information regarding the name-downgrade request. In case saying name-downgrade triggers you again, know that what I mean is the Plus and SR are the same vehicle. Removing front heated seats, fog lights, and 20 miles of range is so inconsequential as to be irrelevant, hence the $5k refund, if in fact they are including taxes, is not much more than a downgrade in name only. The SR will have over 92% the battery capacity of the Plus. What good argument is there to keep the Plus over the SR? (I picked my car up on the 3/30, a time just before Tesla decided to include AP in the Plus and lower the combined price by $1300, and when it cost $4k extra on either vehicle).

Just going to point out that a members only internet forum isn't actually a "public place" for the purposes of 'freedom of speech'. Which doesn't actually exist in Canada either, because you don't have the American constitution / legal system.

My proof is: Tesla advertised a delivery date that would have required them to have certain hardware components (seats/consoles/mirrors) in the production pipeline far ahead of any such announcement.

Absolutely agree. The cloth seats don't exist. They never did. Tesla knew well in advance of announcing the car that they were never going to sell a single copy of that spec. The only reason for it to exist as an "option" in the first place was to compel as many people as possible to pay an extra $2,500 or whatever it was for the SR+.

• Love
Reactions: Legen---dary
Absolutely agree. The cloth seats don't exist. They never did. Tesla knew well in advance of announcing the car that they were never going to sell a single copy of that spec. The only reason for it to exist as an "option" in the first place was to compel as many people as possible to pay an extra $2,500 or whatever it was for the SR+.
Actually, in order to not have mud on his face, he couldnt sell a 35k car and make more of a profit on it, so they put it on off menu and hopes everybody will forget about the cloth seats because they didnt exist.
Maybe he is going to put the cloth seats in the pickup truck or the robotaxis. Hehehe
The 6-1 stats are from what he is saying, just like the estimated delivery of 2-4 weeks.

Actually, in order to not have mud on his face, he couldnt sell a 35k car and make more of a profit on it, so they put it on off menu and hopes everybody will forget about the cloth seats because they didnt exist.
Maybe he is going to put the cloth seats in the pickup truck or the robotaxis. Hehehe
The 6-1 stats are from what he is saying, just like the estimated delivery of 2-4 weeks.

I find it very interesting that you are so concerned about the seats... once you are driving your Tesla a while the seats will become irrelevant...

You will look back on this post and realize how foolish it was to even mention this .....new Tesla owners all eventually realize that a lot of the things you worried about on ICE (non software define vehicles) are no longer important... and almost all of it you will be glad you never have to deal with again....

you just need time to adjust to the new model of ownership :D

I would agree with you in the one point that Tesla makes a lot of mistakes ... but the advantage to Tesla owners is they learn from the mistakes and improve their vehicle much quicker than legacy automakers....

for example last year Tesla changed the screen position of the rear view camera to the bottom of the main screen on the Model S with one of the OTA updates .. many Model S owners were outraged as they use the camera while driving ... so the owners complained and within a month or less a SW update was sent and the camera was back to the top of the screen along with the improvement to autopilot and navigation .....

I find it very interesting that you are so concerned about the seats... once you are driving your Tesla a while the seats will become irrelevant...

You will look back on this post and realize how foolish it was to even mention this .....new Tesla owners all eventually realize that a lot of the things you worried about on ICE (non software define vehicles) are no longer important... and almost all of it you will be glad you never have to deal with again....

you just need time to adjust to the new model of ownership :D

I would agree with you in the one point that Tesla makes a lot of mistakes ... but the advantage to Tesla owners is they learn from the mistakes and improve their vehicle much quicker than legacy automakers....

for example last year Tesla changed the screen position of the rear view camera to the bottom of the main screen on the Model S with one of the OTA updates .. many Model S owners were outraged as they use the camera while driving ... so the owners complained and within a month or less a SW update was sent and the camera was back to the top of the screen along with the improvement to autopilot and navigation .....
Everybody says, once you drive it, you wont care.
Well, actually i already drive an EV, so that rush is non relevent.
As far for the seats, yes i will whine about it because that was pretty well one of the buying decisions to go the SR+. Again, ill say it till the cows come home, the cloth seats never existed, it was a ploy to upsell a vehicle and please the naysayers, that he couldnt make a 35k and he couldn't.
Everybody defends Tesla and their profits, well guess what im a retired disabled vet and i have to be cost conscious and get value for my money but ppl slam me because i b*tch about the seats and getting misled from the trim level to its magical estimated delivery.

• Love
Reactions: Legen---dary