Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz Employees Using All Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am okay with Hertz using the chargers as many times as they need in a day as long as they wait their turn like all the public. It is being a poor corporate citizen if they act as they own one charger and jump line to keep their property (profit) charging at the expense of other rightfully waiting in line. Maybe Hertz thinks it has a backdoor deal with the property owner to do this method?

If Hertz is truly jumping turn in front of other travelers, then I would stop doing business with Hertz and let them know at this office level and the mothership level.

Say something to the employee so they can let their boss know but do not confront them. They are are an hourly employee who is doing what their paycheck (and livelihood) told them to do. These actions are at the management level.
Solution: Cybertruck with stealth hitch to enforce and remove Hertz line cutters.

It isn’t even just the Hertz employees either, there’s Uber drivers so will coordinate to hog superchargers too.

Say something to the employee so they can let their boss know but do not confront them. They are are an hourly employee who is doing what their paycheck (and livelihood) told them to do. These actions are at the management level.
Would you cut in line at a store to get supplies just because your boss told you to do it? Using the excuse that your boss told you to be a jerk isn't an excuse to be a jerk. If you do it, you deserve to be told off.

Would you cut in line at a store to get supplies just because your boss told you to do it? Using the excuse that your boss told you to be a jerk isn't an excuse to be a jerk. If you do it, you deserve to be told off.

I think we may actually agree - it depends on where the definition is between confronting and being confrontational.

I think we may actually agree - it depends on where the definition is between confronting and being confrontational.
I agree. I define confronting as pointing out to someone that he/she is violating social norms and asking him/her to stop. You don't need to bring foul language or bad body language into the picture, just point out the facts and ask him/her to stop.

If I remember, the Tesla Supercharger Idle fees were implemented
because some Ridesharing Companies were leaving their car plugged.

But Elon Musk also added the 'Fair Use Policy' banning any fleet for using the Supercharger network:

Supercharger Fair Use Policy​

We are continually expanding our global network of Supercharger stations, which enable long distance travel
and provide a charging solution for those without access to charging at home or work, and are thereby
accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

To help ensure Superchargers are available for their intended use, we ask that
you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used for a commercial purpose
(such as a taxi or for ridesharing through services like Uber or Lyft), unless you charge on a pay per use basis.

If you charge your vehicle in a manner that does not comply
with this Supercharger Fair Use Policy, we may ask you to modify this behavior,
or we may take additional action to protect the availability of Superchargers for their intended purpose,
such as limiting or blocking your vehicle’s ability to use Supercharger stations.

This Policy applies to all Superchargers worldwide and all Tesla vehicles with free unlimited Supercharging
or free Supercharging for the lifetime of vehicle ownership, purchased, either new or used,
whether from Tesla or a third party, after December 15, 2017.

Charging Alternatives: We encourage the commercial use of Tesla vehicles while using appropriate charging solutions.

Please reach out to your local sales contact to explore transitioning to pay per use charging,
or other vehicle and charging options that suit your needs.

For questions related to home charging, please contact [email protected].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If I remember, the Tesla Supercharger Idle fees were implemented
because some Ridesharing Companies were leaving their car plugged.

But Elon Musk also added the 'Fair Use Policy' banning any fleet for using the Supercharger network:
This policy only applies to cars with free unlimited supercharging.

Anyone paying the going rate can charge all they want, regardless of commercial or individual use (provided, of course, they wait in line like everyone else).

This Policy applies to all Superchargers worldwide and all Tesla vehicles with free unlimited Supercharging or free Supercharging for the lifetime of vehicle ownership, purchased, either new or used,
whether from Tesla or a third party, after December 15, 2017.

Reactions: RTPEV and MP3Mike