Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Elon- Can you tell us a little but more about when cars will arrive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that Tesla reads the posts so this is a personal appeal to Elon.

Elon,

You are a busy guy- Mars, fighting Nevada and making cars. We get it. For the most part everyone on here is really committed to Tesla and to your concept. Some are early adopters, some just like nice cars. What you and your team are doing is incredible. You've managed to get me to move from BMW to Tesla and spend more on a car than I ever have in my life. On a car I've never seen. Your plan is working.

So can we break the radio silence and let us know a little bit about what's going on and when cars will start to flow? I've started up production lines so understand the teething issues, problems, challenges. I also think with your strategy to not ship prblem cars to the market is right. Don't hurt the brand.

I have a P90D on order. I'm fine to wait. The SIG guys are literally melting on here. Cars are coming out of order. More info would help here.

I'm also a shareholder of Tesla and understand that bad news about the X ramp will hurt the stock,etc. it's not an easy situation. You want to tell us more but can't. I'm sure you have lawyers read your tweets before they go out. Public companies. Disclosure, etc.

You have a lot of fans as well as customers on here just wanting to know a bit more. The DS's are in a tough spot. They don't know much and if they do can't tell. We're all frustrated and just want the awesome car.

Any info or help would be appreciatied.

Thanks.

Mark

Thanks for the link as I didn't know about the fight, but unfortunately after reading that and another article I still don't know the actual rate change that is proposed nor do I fully understand Solar City pulling existing jobs out of the state. Seems like Solar City wrote that specifically to speak to the powers that be in that one state and not to the average Joe that wants to keep up with the industry.

Customer,

Thing is that we've had some difficulties with the X, so it's pretty much "When our suppliers supply parts that work" and "when our assembly line workers don't suck", which are up in the air. We're really desperate for your money right now, so I'd rather say nothing, keep Tesla fans thinking wishfully, and minimise cancellations, and maximise S purchases.

Oh damn. Done it again.

I know that Tesla reads the posts so this is a personal appeal to Elon.

Elon,

You are a busy guy- Mars, fighting Nevada and making cars. We get it. For the most part everyone on here is really committed to Tesla and to your concept. Some are early adopters, some just like nice cars. What you and your team are doing is incredible. You've managed to get me to move from BMW to Tesla and spend more on a car than I ever have in my life. On a car I've never seen. Your plan is working.

So can we break the radio silence and let us know a little bit about what's going on and when cars will start to flow? I've started up production lines so understand the teething issues, problems, challenges. I also think with your strategy to not ship prblem cars to the market is right. Don't hurt the brand.

I have a P90D on order. I'm fine to wait. The SIG guys are literally melting on here. Cars are coming out of order. More info would help here.

I'm also a shareholder of Tesla and understand that bad news about the X ramp will hurt the stock,etc. it's not an easy situation. You want to tell us more but can't. I'm sure you have lawyers read your tweets before they go out. Public companies. Disclosure, etc.

You have a lot of fans as well as customers on here just wanting to know a bit more. The DS's are in a tough spot. They don't know much and if they do can't tell. We're all frustrated and just want the awesome car.

Any info or help would be appreciatied.

Thanks.

Mark

Mark:

Did you every think they may not really know? If they do know it probably is not what people want to hear. With very few cars being produced the ramp up has stalled. When all is said and done they are probably a quarter behind, i.e. 13k cars from what was said in December. They probably won't and shouldn't put out information until they are sure it will be accurate. They can't afford to have another false start as it would be devastating to TSLA. I know you think this is a positive open letter to Elon Musk but open letters like this are rarely seen as positive. If I was Mr Musk I wouldn't see it as positive as you are just pointing out information I am already painfully aware of. Do you think he wants to be in this position? I can tell you he is losing a lot more than you considering how much stock he owns (over $800 million). If I were you I would hope my order didn't accidentally get put to the end of the queue. If you want to send him a letter do it privately, you have a much better chance it will be read than posting it as a "slap" in the face on an open forum.
Reservation #8143 | Order Confirmed 12/17/15 | Prod VIN 0251 | VIN Assigned 12/23/15 | P90D | Titanium Metallic | Tan Leather | Ash wood | Light Headliner | 20" silver helix wheels | Premium upgrade | Autopilot | Six seat (2-2-2) | Towing | 72 Amp Charger | Delivery Scheduled for 2/26/16 | Orlando Service CenterPlease update "http://modelxtracker.com" with information about your Model X order.

Did you every think they may not really know? If they do know it probably is not what people want to hear.

If I were you I would hope my order didn't accidentally get put to the end of the queue. If you want to send him a letter do it privately, you have a much better chance it will be read than posting it as a "slap" in the face on an open forum.

This is unfortunately the exact same thing that happened with the Model S ramp. In the 6-9 months after initial deliveries, there was pandemonium in the Model S forum as people went weeks and then months without news, and watched as Production series cars began shipping before Signature series were completed.

I'm all for :cursing:ing in an open forum. Some people need to vent. I've said far worse things about the decisions that Tesla and Elon have made, and I doubt this will have any effect whatsoever on my place in line in the future.

The "launch" event was at the end of September 2015, and given what I observed with Model S, I wouldn't expect Model X deliveries to really start rolling until 6-9 months later, which would be March to June of this year. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it. Tesla shot themselves in the foot by making the Model X so difficult to manufacture.

My X is at the service center for the last week. I was told today that as per Musk, they cannot deliver another X until is it deemed perfect. I think a lot of sig cars were delivered with major problems. I think it's good that they realized that they can't have that with a 150k car and survive so they have slowed everything down to get it perfect. I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather wait an extra week instead of being unhappy and keep bringing it back for repairs. I think a lot of early buyers are almost too nice and too patient and shouldn't have accepted delivery with problems. No way you would buy a Benz S63 for 150k and accept anything at delivery but perfection. I don't see a reason to do it with the X.

My X is at the service center for the last week. I was told today that as per Musk, they cannot deliver another X until is it deemed perfect. I think a lot of sig cars were delivered with major problems. I think it's good that they realized that they can't have that with a 150k car and survive so they have slowed everything down to get it perfect. I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather wait an extra week instead of being unhappy and keep bringing it back for repairs. I think a lot of early buyers are almost too nice and too patient and shouldn't have accepted delivery with problems. No way you would buy a Benz S63 for 150k and accept anything at delivery but perfection. I don't see a reason to do it with the X.

If true, then I find this reasonable, and an improvement, as you described; customers getting the right vehicle is good. I think more open information is better, but I've always taken that side my whole life, so nothing new there.

Turns out now I'm about to get enough $ for an X or S and some other items, so now I have to decide whether to play this waiting game or just get a used S or something. I want that air filter!!! Ugh. Why can't they backport that to the S? I'd get an S today if it had that air filter.

My X is at the service center for the last week. I was told today that as per Musk, they cannot deliver another X until is it deemed perfect.

This can't be true. You mean initially is was ok to ship less than perfect? ie. $140,000 car with prototype parts in it? This is what fills the void when you don't communicate with one clear voice. Which has been thoroughly discussed on other threads

I agree, the goal is perfection for a car of this caliber. I have my X now, but the delays were frustrating, especially since I sold my Highlander Hybrid last year expecting my X before the end of the year and was stuck driving our spare C-Max until I got the X. But I told my DS that I wanted my car perfect. And damn it is pretty close to it. I thought there was a problem with the spoiler, but it is working fine now. Only thing I really need serviced is that the windshield deicer sprayer is spraying a bit high and the lower half of the windshield doesn't get cleaned as the fluid goes up the huge windshield when driving. That and I am waiting for a replacement key fob and my window shade. Also I need to purchase a tire repair kit. Honestly I keep looking at the doors to see if I can see any of the gaps I read about here, but they all look great to me. I just wish they gave more information about what was going on. The not-knowing was so frustrating.

You make some good points and as we both agree- it's a short term tough spot. The bright spot in all of this is that the cars they have delivered are good. From the feedback from owners they're real good. This means that there is some level of process capability to make good cars. Maybe they are hand built ? Hard to tell but they can make good ones and they are ramping up.

The note wasn't meant as a slap more just a plea for more info ( with the understanding it would likely not come). It was respectful and fair. I have to give Tesla and Elon more credit than you do on putting me in back of line.