Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rocket Cars
Colonizing to Mars
Tunnel trips for a $1
Hyperloop
FSD
Strobe lights

I can go on, but you are questioning ME of letting my subconscious bias of what I "want" to see happen as opposed to what the reality is because i think Tesla uses questionable accounting metrics?

lol...your response is deflecting. It is fine if these are the items that aggravate you about Elon and his goals, but they do not have a bearing on whether Tesla will be worth more or less going forward.

Last edited:
Short theory #4 Tesla uses questionable accounting practices to inflate auto gross margin

They dont cap R&D, which is allowed but not industry standard. Look at Ford's financials, they have no R&D, because they cap it to inventory and put through COGS. If you put Tesla RD into COGS what happens to the gross margin story they constantly flaunt as how they become profitable?

Also, most bears believe they are shoving as many auto costs as they can into service centers to avoid auto GM (part of the reason you see so many 'goodwill' repairs instead of warranty repairs)

Also, this isnt accounting trickery, but Tesla operates without dealerships. I dont want to argue if thats a benefit or not, i might even admit it is. The thing is other car manufacturers take roughly 10% off sales price and allocate it to dealerships, its why GM and ford have 7% SGA costs as % of revenues and Tesla has 18%+. Drop that 10% of revenue what happens to margin?

They are gaming people into a story that doesnt add up.

Analyst out with a note that rings near exactly true with what many bears have been saying for awhile.

Tesla stock falls after Bernstein issues cautious note on services margins, automotive gross margins

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Ya i think he was the one who asked the boneheaded question about what the take rate was on the model 3.

Definitely not an important metric or anything...

You're almost there. It's not an important metric at this time. It'll become meaningful once people are no longer waiting for options (Dual Motor, Performance, Short Range, White Interior, etc.) they desire to become available.

At the same time this place absolutely HATES the shorts. I mean you really really hate us. That's weird.

I changed my mind.

I love shorts. I love the fact that they are rooting for Tesla to collapse and go bankrupt. I love the fact that hook or crook, they would go to any extent to spread lies and false narratives to achieve their goals. I love their greed. This is what Wall Street is all about. Make money on the corpses of innovative new companies. I love shorts.

• Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and fsch
At the same time this place absolutely HATES the shorts. I mean you really really hate us. That's weird.

??? So if someone placed a bet that your house would burn down you wouldn't hold that against them? I would find THAT odd...

Yeah... the desire to see a sustainable future crumble so it can be sold off for parts is loathsome... kinda highlights the worst traits of humanity... the 'screw everyone else as long as I get mine' attitude is beyond pathetic.

$$$ is a means to an end. The Shorts have that backwards....

Last edited:
Hating the scum of the financial industry, is a natural human tendency I would think
So if someone placed bet that your house would burn down

Not just betting. Betting is fine. But actively working to make sure their bet wins is what makes them scum of the earth. It is like shorts working hard in cutting the water lines to your house, so that you lose the ability to douse a fire.

I have to thank Reality. He is giving us a common enemy, making us review our facts and makes us LOL.
He will be missed if/when his short position falls out of favor.
He is like a lawyer; if it's legal and you can profit from it, do it.

Attachments

• Ferengis1.jpg
    Ferengis1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: nwdiver
Ya i think he was the one who asked the boneheaded question about what the take rate was on the model 3.

Definitely not an important metric or anything...

If by take rate you include the people who say "Yes, keep my $1000 because I do want to buy a Model 3" or "take my $1000 and apply it towards a S or X" -- I agree; that is a good metric.

Oh, but that isn't what he asked. He asked, essentially, how many people are opting to buy the particular LR, PUP M3 that you are selling now? He asked that ignorant of the fact that many other people are simply waiting for the $35k bare bones, or waiting for the $78k Performance, or they are already driving an S or X. An ignorance that appears to be shared. It was a bone headed question as it was exactly the kind of stupid misleading stat that would only be used to spin a negative story.

Last edited:
He asked that ignorant of the fact
Nope. He was not ignorant. He exactly knew what he was asking, and he exactly knew how to spin it negatively whatever the answer is.

If the reply was 30% (which is a great take rate BTW for just one high end variant), then headlines would have been "70% of reservationists rejected Model 3", possibly due to poor quality, increased better choices in the horizon and too expensive.

The 2170 is also just a battery format. They don't own it any more than Energizer owns AAA-batteries.

But as you and others say, the chemistry is constantly updated. I don't think they've implemented the 3% cobalt cathode in the 18650s yet, but they're bound to do so in the near future, if they don't simply switch to the 2170s. The 2170s are probably a bit cheaper to produce per kWh, and they simplify pack production, so they are a meaningful improvement over the 18650s, but it's not a deciding factor when it comes to profitability, competitiveness, and such. If the 18650s are $20 more expensive per kWh on the pack level, a 100 kWh pack may have an additional cost of around $2000, over a hypothetical 2170 based pack. Sure, those are meningful savings, but the more expensive Model S/X can soak up that cost.

@Reality do you feel like addressing this and other responses to your obsolete battery claim?

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Analyst out with a note that rings near exactly true with what many bears have been saying for awhile.

Tesla stock falls after Bernstein issues cautious note on services margins, automotive gross margins
that is the "expert" which also was shorting Apple (of all companies). Here is some discussion on his "analysis":
Analyst Toni Sacconaghi to Clients: I Still Don't Understand Apple | The Back Page | iPodObserver.

He is also was the genius about "too much automation" .

Tesla as everybody knows consists of 4 parts:
Fremont autofactory, Nevada battery factory, and service centers (I include here superchargers), Solar Factory in Buffalo.
As everybody knows Tesla cut significantly service sector (a bit more than 3000 jobs cut and relocation of few hundreds to other places). As everybody knows firing people is always accompanied by severance packages. Money. As everybody knows the restructuring started in january.
They have built a bunch of new service centers and desperately preparing their network for inevitable service hell thankts to the great influx of new customers. But visibly the main loss comes from solar city reorganization. Killing a whole bunch of home depots teams (800?) is no joke.
But Tesla finally packs solar in the one package with power-walls and autos, something they had to do from the start.

And please: he is comparing Q1 2018 with Q3 2016. Really? Why not with Q4 2006?
Anyway Tesla writes in Q1 letter:
"Service and Other revenue in Q1 2018 increased by 37% compared to Q1 2017 primarily due to higher used car sales, but
decreased by 9% sequentially as used car sales were lower in Q1 2018 compared to Q4 2017 due to a lower inventory of used
cars available for sale during the quarter.

Service and Other gross loss in Q1 2018 increased to $118 million as a result of the continued growth and maturation in our
service infrastructure. Our used car sales had slightly positive gross margin."
T

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I agree with @Reality that Tesla's margins are unlikely to be as good as Musk claims. But the shorts are going to be disappointed again when worse than anticipated margins don't suppress SP. A traders job is to figure how SP will move, not declare how it should move according to their rules.
Tesla writes that the margins on M3 are bad yet (Q1 negative), which is the norm for any new model in any country. Will they come to the same 25% normal for S and X? No. The predicted m3 margin is going to be ~15%.

The possible reason to squeeze Tesla even by loosing big money is to dry Musk's financial bucket and to push him to IPO SpaceX. It's not that difficult to identify connections and links between attacks on SpaceX and Tesla. It's not about money.
Actually I don't understand why Musk didn't say B and didn't build a team of IT detectives to uncover massmedia narative around his name. The jerks circle is not that big.
Example of blunder: it's really no secret in auto-bussiness that Clarkson in Top Gear was collecting big money from european manufacturers to make "right shows", instead of opening it up he tried to use legal british system to clean roadster name (lol). There are more cases like that.

Reactions: neroden
They are married to the li-ion 18650 battery for the S and X and will be for the forseeable future. THese are already obsolete. So they have cornered the obsolete battery market in a take or buy arrangement with Panasonic.

Also about to lose the FIT credit. Good luck competing against the majors with an inferior battery, no FIT credit and a 9 year old model
lol. Size of battery cell means nothing. Tesla has chosen a big bigger size because they had some spare space under. Diameter was maxed for optimal cooling. There is no other reason for size update.What is important for batteries is their chemical composition, quality of production, temperature management and electronic control. Both S and X have time proven effective battery packs.
unlike it's the case with all other brands you won't find complains about battery capacity reduction. What is the worst most of established brands end up choosing pouch cells which will cost them dearly. Apparently everybody wants to repeat Nissan mistakes.

Reactions: neroden