Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-Five to the 2.52.22 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
images

We've definitely crossed into the Twilight Zone if an update deserves any kudos at all for correcting a boneheaded bug that never should have existed in the first place, one that should have been caught by even the most basic of software testing, and for returning functionality that was stupidly removed. That's like rewarding a D student with a "most improved award" for getting a B while ignoring all of the A students.

We would be truly living in the Twilight zone if Tesla had decent release notes. That would be just too weird.

Twilight zone or not I give Tesla a high five for listening to the feedback. Sure I concur that it was all a bit boneheaded, and the previous version wasn't appreciated at all. The sneakiness of it (not being on the release notes), and the audacity of it (what right do they have to do what they did). But, sometimes you burry the hatchet to try to move on in the relationship. It is a relationship of sorts with compromise, and give and take.

I would also consider it a win for all of those that did complain to Tesla. So I'm thankful to those of you that did voice your concerns to them. We owners have to stick together.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
In Canada, I'm told as I havent checked yet, that we only get 5 km/hr increase which is about 3 mph. Looks like we got shafted. Lol!
It should be 8 km/r here to coincide with 5 mph.
Perhaps there will be a fix soon!
Hey, "five" is "five" however you talk the jive!
Now those people whose cars are calibrated in furlongs per fortnight... ;)

That's too bad... a "What's new" would be so informative. I like surprises, but I (as I am sure many other Tesla owners) are enthusiastic, data loving folks who like to dig deeper. A simple list somewhere online would be so awesome.

Really it should be provided on screen when deciding whether to apply, schedule or delay install. There should also be a "skip release" option - at least for feature (not safety) related updates.

In Canada, I'm told as I havent checked yet, that we only get 5 km/hr increase which is about 3 mph. Looks like we got shafted. Lol!
It should be 8 km/r here to coincide with 5 mph.
Perhaps there will be a fix soon!

Supposedly our 10 km/h is back, couple of other posters have confirmed this. I'm getting the update now so hoping to try er out myself tomorrow. :D

i'd love to know who the "A" students are in this analogy. compared to Tesla, every other carmaker is riding the short bus from my perspective.

Amen! I have been on BMW and GM forums for a decade and I have never seen whining like on this site. Even on a post giving praise for fixing an issue within a week! I guess expectations are just higher. But C'mon! If you were driving any other car on the road you would be going back to the dealer to get "re-flashed". Tesla moves quickly to make technology available at the expense of a few bugs (that can be fixed rather quickly).

They probably should have a beta tester program that folks who want the latest release can opt into and those who want everything to be 100% perfect can wait until it is out of beta. I'm sure that would just make some people angry... but, it is a natural trade off. No company can do everything faster than any other company and without any bugs.

End of rant...

Those are general release notes which came with the previous update as well. Tesla is not very good at giving out specific release notes for each incremental update.
The lack of good release notes and change logs makes me wonder if their documentation is probably not very good. Which means they may not be getting good requirements, which can lead to poor design and testing. It may not be just QA/QC they need to improve, it could also be business analysis, requirement gathering, and documentation

The lack of good release notes and change logs makes me wonder if their documentation is probably not very good. Which means they may not be getting good requirements, which can lead to poor design and testing. It may not be just QA/QC they need to improve, it could also be business analysis, requirement gathering, and documentation
That's a mighty big leap (actually, a couple of them). I don't think the problem is with what they're capable of in the notes; it is with what
they choose (or, more to the point, don't choose) to include.

I downloaded 2.52.22 yesterday and still don't have +5 back on autopilot. Anyone else see this?
It looks like the upper limit for autopilot (put to +5mph on surface streets) is now controlled by the speed limit warning control in settings. This used control only the overspeed warning on the instrument panel, but now allows you to set the over-speed-limit threshold on autopilot up to +5 mph in 1 mph increments. The info box on set up page still says that it only controls the instrument panel warning threshold, but on my 90D it does control the autopilot threshold, too.

• Informative
Reactions: cwave1
That's a mighty big leap (actually, a couple of them). I don't think the problem is with what they're capable of in the notes; it is with what
they choose (or, more to the point, don't choose) to include.
This is true, although you'd think they'd want to tout bug fixes to show their progress in improving the car for us. On the other hand it's a double-edged sword as too many bug fixes (especially scary, safety related bugs) may undermine confidence... Who knows

You've described almost the entire analysis and development phases-- but for us consumers of the product these updates are in the implementation/maintenance phase of SDLC.

AP more twitchy for me with this build.
Several times it's lost thje plot and tried to throw me off the road, where the previous build was fine.
No danger, easy to catch but seems a retrograde step in some respects, though the +5mph on the limit is welcome back for sure.
This on roads I use every day.

So far apart from the +5mph limit increase I'm not seeing major differences between 2.50.114 and 2.52.22 on my AP1 S70D...

I mean, maybe the improvements are subtle, but I thought 2.50.114 did great (and I personally did not experience any of the unexpected slowdowns others have documented), so I don't really have any expectations from 2.52.22 other than fixing the EQ :)

EDIT: With that said, 2.50.114 for me was a HUGE improvement over the 2.42.40 release that I had before. That was the release that solved a lot of my 8.0 Autosteer regressions, as well as some scary delayed TACC braking behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: norm
Being new to the Tesla family, I have been browsing through the forums looking to learn as much as I can about my car (2013 S85, CPO) which I picked up the last week of December. While I understand the frustration that gets clearly expressed here, I think that some folks are forgetting what it's like in the non-Tesla ownership world.

Right up front, I am amazed that Tesla makes improvements to their product and then distributes those changes to all owners as opposed to traditional automakers who want those features to get you into a new car. It's an amazing way to protect the resale value of your investment.

Have you ever tried to get BMW or Mercedes to fix what you see as a problem with their cars? I had a BMW 750 which had a speedometer which was annoying the crap out of me. It was about 4-5% fast. BMW's answer was "It's within our error range" and they refused to fix it. I haven't had a service issue at this point, but from what I have read, with very few exceptions, Tesla seems to bend over backwards to make things right.

Do they always get it right? Not likely, but these cars are such a leap forward compared to the rest of the world, it seems inevitable that there are going to be issues. I give Tesla a ton of credit for taking these risks. I spent over 30 years in software design and development and I am amazed at the courageous journey that this company is on. The ride may be rough at times but I think it's worth it.