Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High milage owners here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
92.5k miles. owned since 77k, don't have history...
was salvaged with broken front left suspension, restored n runs fine
no major issues besides gen1 door latch intermittent, shudder n squeaky upper ball joints (easy fix)
no regrets besides AP1 (miss the sentry n dashcam)

40k miles on pre refresh 21 MXP, I’ve had it in a few times, half shafts and clevis, coolant heater, 12v battery all under warranty.
It’s starting to get some squeeks and rattles from the interior and my radar was taken away. One FWD has rubbed through the paint in the jamb ( one 1” spot), SC said ‘they’re all like that’, not happy about it.

This is still an ongoing issue, apparently:

I believe this is only on dual motor vehicles.

Skip to 1:40 of
for an example of the symptom.

Have fun with the falcon wing door sensors. Google for site:teslamotorsclub.com "model x" door sensor, for example. The doors and latches were disaster early on (see links at Tesla Model X - Page 55 - My Nissan Leaf Forum). Not sure how much it's improved by now. The rest of the vehicle was also pretty bad for at least several years. Look at 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up. Start from:

"Service Campaigns:
We learned something about Tesla maintenance from owning a Model S: There can be a lot of it. The general theme will feel familiar. During 20 months of ownership, our Model X went in for service seven times, spent 19 days out of commission, and had a total of 32 issues addressed..."

Model X was for several years in a row in Consumer Reports bottom 10 for reliability.

What Genie refers to might be what you can find by Googling for site:teslamotorsclub.com "model x" paint rub.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports has become a worthless rag. I would not trust any of their opinionated drivel, based mostly on subjective interpretation, to buy anything. A once great publication that has degenerated to insignificance.
Disagree completely. Their reliability results are based upon owner surveys and there are average problem rates for each system/area (Car Reliability Histories - Consumer Reports). Too bad in that chart, they stopped including very recent years.

One can read Consumer Reports' Car Reliability FAQ - Consumer Reports. Maybe you/some will disagree with their road test results and how they test, but that's totally separate from their reliability ratings which are also separate from satisfaction ratings.

This same pattern comes up every time CR releases new reliability results, a bunch of folks bashing CR because they don't like the results (Tesla often doesn't do well in this department) or it doesn't agree with their confirmation biases. I've seen it time and time again, esp. when a vehicle or brand doesn't do well. There are always excuses, bashing of the publication and even reasons why Tesla should get a break or a boost!

I don't have time to repeat basically what I wrote at First Road trip with model 3.....really sucks..... before and likely elsewhere on this forum.

OP asked "how reliable MX". Well, a collection of many (used to be a minimum of 100 per model year for a given vehicle) answers taken every year on each system is going to be a lot more useful than just a tiny set of anecdotal reports here. Look at the problem rates in the 1st URL that are averages for a 2019 car in a 12 month window. You could have a whole bunch of systems with a 10% problem rate which would likely tank the ratings for that model year yet you could have 9 out of 10 people tell you it's fine, when in reality, it's not good.

The FAQ even gives a good example:
"Your Survey Results Do Not Match With My Experience. Are Your Surveys Wrong?
Even in the most unreliable models, some individual car owners are lucky and experience few or no problems during the 12 months covered by the survey. For example, in one of the worst models in our recent surveys, about 60 percent of the owners reported problems in at least one trouble area over the previous 12 months; of course, this means that about 40 percent of owners reported no problems. You might be one of those lucky owners. Of course, the opposite can happen as well—even in a model that tends to be quite reliable, there is an occasional “lemon.”"

Last edited:
Reactions: aesculus