Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road trip with model 3.....really sucks.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...if the car is working fine before a long road trip....how does one prevent OTA updates to mitigate any possible update issues while on the road trip?

You choose when to install updates. If you don’t want it to update, you just click the X on the pop up. You can always install later by clicking the yellow clock icon that will be on the center screen.

I could not edit my original post anymore....I want to paste my update on the first page so people do not need to read 7page to get the result. Anyone know how to do it ?

Thanks

Tagging @ohmman

Also glad to hear it got resolved finally but what an ordeal. Tesla owes you one.

No one is blaming you even if it may come across in some of the posts. All but a few of us would have been caught the same way. Myself included. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman
Thanks for the update. It is good to know if you are seeing wonky things after an update, that there might be bigger issues. Software updates are one of Teslas greatest advantages and one of its biggest disadvantages at the same time.

Cannot agree with you more. While it can fix current bug it can also introduce bug any time in the future and break your car down remotely

That definitely sucks. I think Tesla should give your car free supercharging for life. It would be a nice gesture and probably wouldn’t end up costing them very much. I think it’s unreasonable to think that you should have pre-checked your car’s supercharging ability before you left on your road trip. It was charging in your garage, so why would you suspect it wouldn’t charge at a Supercharger.

If I am ever crazy enough to jump out of a plane you bet one of my questions in orientation is how do you verify your parachute is good?

I mean it’s brand new off the line and should be fine.... right?

When I go splat, kids can flush my ashes down the toilet and get 2020 Roadsters for themselves.

For sure I won’t be held liable because that would be victim blaming right?

Society has no concept it seems about “protecting yourself at all times”.

Did it matter who’s fault it is? Only for damages and lawsuits, doesn’t change I’m dead.

I was crazy enough to jump out of a plane once. In Mexico. Tandem. I trusted the parachutist. All went fine, other than getting very motion sick right before we landed with all the swerving and swooping he did to bring us in for the landing at exactly the right spot and in the right direction. He was an expert. Wonderful experience. I wouldn't make a hobby of it, or try to do it solo, but I'm glad I had the experience.

That definitely sucks. I think Tesla should give your car free supercharging for life. It would be a nice gesture and probably wouldn’t end up costing them very much. I think it’s unreasonable to think that you should have pre-checked your car’s supercharging ability before you left on your road trip. It was charging in your garage, so why would you suspect it wouldn’t charge at a Supercharger.

Free supercharge definitely will not happen. But they fix this issue in 24 hours and enable me for rest of my road trip, which I think it is very reasonable and I appreciated.
Heading to San Diego today!! Traffic is nightmare but EAP is so awesome that I am very relaxing !

The Gen 2 Prius has major issues with its main battery and I think it's brake master cylinder. These issues occur as early as 5 years after the model year. I'm lucky that I lasted 12 years, ~170k miles before I needed to replace my main Prius battery. When the issues occur....folks will post....not many...but those posts were indicative of a widespread issue with the Prius Gen 2.
As someone who used to be very active on Priuschat until mid-2013 and still has a gen 2 Prius (06 model year), the bolded part and timeframe is NOT true.

The HV battery was also warranted for 10 years/150K miles in CA and CARB emission states. Sure, once you're past 10 years or 150K miles or past say 8 years (warranty is shorter outside CARB states) in a hot climate or have hills in your commute, things can get dicey.

There was this:: Brake actuator "warranty extension" from Toyota.

I have not had problems with either and my Prius is past 12.5 years old but only has ~81K miles on it. Unfortunately for me, I'm probably past all warranty extensions Toyota has put out (e.g. there's another one for the combo meter that extended it to 9 years, unlimited mileage).

Prius has an excellent reliability record in Consumer Reports across all model years. Over the years, virtually every model year has been able to maintain that. The example issues I posted with the 3 were on cars that were only a few months old.

As someone who used to be very active on Priuschat until mid-2013 and still has a gen 2 Prius (06 model year), the bolded part and timeframe is NOT true.

The HV battery was also warranted for 10 years/150K miles in CA and CARB emission states. Sure, once you're past 10 years or 150K miles or past say 8 years (warranty is shorter outside CARB states) in a hot climate or have hills in your commute, things can get dicey.

There was a brake actuator warranty extension: Brake actuator "warranty extension" from Toyota.

I have not had problems with either and my Prius is past 12.5 years old but only has ~81K miles on it.

Prius has an excellent reliability record in Consumer Reports across all model years. Over the years, virtually every model year has been able to maintain that. The example issues I posted with the 3 were on cars that were only a few months old.
Ok...so not 5 years...but don't you worry...you will have a problem with your Gen 2 Battery...the folks that replaced my battery have had LOTS of Gen 2 Prius customers. Brake actuator warranty was only good till the end of 2017. My Prius had been extremely reliable...up until the main battery failed.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
I have fewer miles on my 2004 Prius because it was my daily driver for only about 2 1/2 years before I got the Zap Xebra, which became my daily driver, and after that the Roadster. But I continued to use the Prius for longer trips and when I needed cargo space, right up until I got the Model 3, and the ONLY problem I ever had with it was that the cruise-control stalk cracked and was replaced under warranty. The Prius has been an extremely reliable car, much more so than most car models.

Reactions: cwerdna
My brother used to skydive. Unfortunatley, that is one operation where you are going to be totally dependent on another to make sure the job was right. Parachute packing requires a certification, so when you are doing your first jump you can’t pack or check your own. He did have one chute fail to open on one jump (I think it came out twisted), but luckily his reserve did work.

I will never skydive. ;)

Does the guy who pack the failed chute lose their certification after that?

Talk about pucker factor.

An 08 Prius is still our daily driver. Its 12V AGM battery died at its 8th year, and the HV shows no sign yet, must be on a good BMS. What a good value! But anyway I did spend almost an entire day to get familiar with my MX including road tripping a Supercharger and a ChargePoint right after the delivery, all trying to be responsible for the car and for the road!

Reactions: cwerdna

Again, this is the problem. You're comparing a Prius, literally the epitome of an appliance (no frills whatsoever) from a legacy automaker, to a Model 3.

For reference, some issues associated with the 1st Gen Prius:

Despite some major design flaws -- including poor performance in both hot climates and high altitudes -- the original Prius became a popular car in Japan, prompting Toyota to introduce the fuel-sipping subcompact sedan to a worldwide audience.

Is The 2001-2003 Toyota Prius A Good Used Car Buy?

You can, of course, disagree with me without offering a rebuttal, of course.

Yes, we've all seen some of the issues people have had with the Model 3, now please let me know what percentage of the fleet that accounts for. It's relatively meaningless to point to a few high profile examples and extrapolate that to the entire fleet. There have been how many of them delivered again?

As for Model X, as an owner, I've had "reliability" issues with it insofar as the very things that make it advanced/interesting have required addressing:

1. Automatic Charge port needed to be adjusted (ZOMG so unreliable)
2. Screen had yellowing in the borders, which had zero impact on functionality (Similar screen unavailable on any make it's compared to)
3. Shudder under heavy acceleration (An annoyance that had no impact on functionality, but closest thing to a reliability issue)
4. FWD sensor needed to be reseated in its mount

Getting pretty tired of "reliability" issues encompassing everything from having a FWD sensor adjusted to an actual failure of a DU. The Model X has the opportunity for more reliability issues because there are more complex components/hardware that can fail, compared to other vehicles in its class. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised that early Model 3 VINs experience more "reliability" issues...but maybe we should wait for more information before making hasty generalizations.
I feel like I'm a broken record for stating this but I guess I'm going to have repeat basically what I wrote before + some more.

-- begin quote --
My basis of comparison is having formerly been very active on Priuschat and having observed problem reports from Gen 3 (model year 2010) Prius, 2012 Prius v wagon, Prius c and PiP after launch. I've also been acttive on mynissanleaf since mid-2011 but I'll admit I missed the 1st 6 or 7 months of its life. And, this is besides looking at reliability ratings at various places (e.g. CR) and having been on other car forums for cars I've owned.
-- end quote --

There are FAR more Leafs on the road than there are 3's. Motor replacements for ANY reason are almost unheard of. I doubt there have been even 10 in total on MNL. I can't think if a single time that someone had a motor failure that resulted in their Leaf being immobile. Leaf has enjoyed a decent reliability rating.

I've seen what the aforementioned 1st model year Priuses (and brand new model, the Prius c) looked like in terms of problems reported in the 1st few years. As I've said here before, Consumer Reports didn't even like the Prius c and thus doesn't recommend it yet its 1st model year got Consumer Reports says Prius C most reliable 2012 vehicle.

Please see table at the end of Car Reliability Histories to see what the average problem rate is for vehicle of a given model year for a 12 month window of time (w/most recent model year usually being shortest: "The 2017 models were generally less than six months old at the time of the survey, with an average of about 3,000 miles.")

Your vehicle is a sample size of one. CR used to require a minimum of 100 responses for a given model year to have sufficient data for that model year. Not clear what their min is now.

The sample that Edmunds had was terrible, if you ask me: 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up (look under Maintenance & Repairs). For a 20 month period on a new car, the volume of problems and time out of service would be totally unacceptable in my book.

The Acceleration Shudder seems to be an ongoing issue with folks getting their X half-shafts replaced repeatedly all while under warranty. Seems like the problem is temporarily resolved, until they need it again. The fact that it's not normal and replacement fixes it counts a problem to me. The last time I've ever had to have half-shafts replaced on my cars (my current ones are over 12.5 years old (only 81K miles though) and almost 5.5 years old (over 58K miles)) was sometime between 1997 and end of 2001, on a '91 Camry.
Again, this is the problem. You're comparing a Prius, literally the epitome of an appliance (no frills whatsoever) from a legacy automaker, to a Model 3.

For reference, some issues associated with the 1st Gen Prius:

Is The 2001-2003 Toyota Prius A Good Used Car Buy?

You can, of course, disagree with me without offering a rebuttal, of course.
I would never recommend a gen 1 Prius at this point in time. Also, the newest of which would be 15 years old. I was wary of recommending one when gen 2 (model years 04 to 09) was the latest and by the time gen 3 (model year 2010 to 2015) had been shipping for a few years, I'd not recommend it the gen 1 at all. Seriously, look at Consumer Reports reliability rating on the Prius. Surprisingly, their web site goes much further back than what they have in print. They have 5 different icons representing worst to best. Every model year from '01 to '16 has what's denoted by best (call this 5/5) except '01 and '06, which receive a 4/5.

That said, appliance and legacy automaker vs. Model 3 doesn't make the 3 reliable.

Last edited:
Ok...so not 5 years...but don't you worry...you will have a problem with your Gen 2 Battery...the folks that replaced my battery have had LOTS of Gen 2 Prius customers. Brake actuator warranty was only good till the end of 2017. My Prius had been extremely reliable...up until the main battery failed.
Yeah, sorta. It might fail on me given that it's over 12.5 years old and past its 10 year/150K mile warranty.

I wouldn't be surprised given that https://priuschat.com/attachments/07_prius-pdf.54124/ (and other brochures) have had verbiage that says "Hybrid vehicle battery expected life is 150,000 miles based on laboratory bench testing."

If it does, I'll figure out whether it's worth it to replace the HV battery or see if someone can replace the bad modules.

Ok...so not 5 years...but don't you worry...you will have a problem with your Gen 2 Battery...the folks that replaced my battery have had LOTS of Gen 2 Prius customers. ... My Prius had been extremely reliable...up until the main battery failed.
Also, to add more data points re: Prius HV batteries: https://web.archive.org/web/2014022...brid-battery-reliability-gets-worse/index.htm. Unfortunately, this survey was done in year 2013, but at least includes some gen 1 Priuses that passed the 10 year mark.

And, it noted "Despite these findings, don’t let the older-generation Civic Hybrids color your perception of hybrid vehicles. After all, the Prius remains among the most reliable of all cars."