Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you request a new one without it going out? I would imagine you could just make up a story to make it sound like it was going bad, but they probably run some sort of diagnostic to check that.

My wife’s Pacifica just had to have the 12v battery replaced and it cost me $800, so I’m extra sensitive to this happening.
Yeah the tech told me to do that but who knows they might reject the request... but i did watch the guy replace it. it looked easy. pop off the front top liner and its right underneath it.

Reactions: El joe
Yes, but that car is NOT as efficient as the RWD. I don't own one so I don't know how much range the AWD was supposed to have when new.

I was asking @timk225 if his "I've lost about 10 miles off a full charge" was from the original 310 miles rated range or the later 325 miles after that software update. The RWD was originally software limited so the range on the unreleased AWD and the Performance didn't look so bad on paper. Also, they may have been tinkering with the efficiencies they could expect from the RWD.

When my car was new I got 310, and years later I checked again and was happy to still get 310, but finally now I only get 300. Likely when I checked that second time I was already down 15 miles as the update had happened. Now I guess I am down 25 miles range since new.

Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor purchased April 2019. Just hit 83k miles. Just installed 2rd set of tires and added more washer fluid. Have not had a single issue.

1st Set of Tires - $971.50
2nd Set of Tires - $690.57
Washer Fluid - $1.19
----------------------------------
$1663.26

$1663.26 in 22 months
~$75/month in maintenance

83k miles in less than 2 years!? :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor purchased April 2019. Just hit 83k miles. Just installed 2rd set of tires and added more washer fluid. Have not had a single issue.

1st Set of Tires - $971.50
2nd Set of Tires - $690.57
Washer Fluid - $1.19
----------------------------------
$1663.26

$1663.26 in 22 months
~$75/month in maintenance

This is pretty good. You got on hell of a deal on tires, when i had couple of flats, to replace 19s was about $250 per tire mounted/balanced at local American Tires. Did you get a damn good deal $700 for set of 4?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+3&autoYear=2018

Assuming your tires lasted you about 35-40k miles per set?

I got my snow tires inexpensively on TireRack by putting in a different but compatible size. They are very nice and I paid around $600 for four 18" Pirelli Sottozero 3s on closeout. I didn't pay for shipping as there was the free Drive the Arc charging (which just ended this month) so I just drove to Reno to pick them up.

I then got a set of used but pristine 19" rims for $1100 with 4 so-so tires that I have put another 25K miles on in 2020. Ended up having a flat recently on a road trip but found two more Continentals on craigslist for what ended up being only $10. That set of tires on my summer rims is still roadworthy but I am on the snow tires right now as I cross into the 70,000 mark on my ODO and 3 years on the calendar. I probably have enough tread to go another 70K between the 8 tires I have now.

I have purchased things for the car (like a CHAdeMO adapter and that side sticker in the photo to the left), but those are toys, I am not including them here. So 70K miles for ~$1800 in expenses (replaced my cabin filter and wipers too), plus another $1,355.94 in paid charging (as of Jan. 15th) from MANY road trips. Otherwise I find free chargers and I installed a 7.2kW solar system at home two years ago this summer that has already paid for itself.

I am a very frugal and happy Tesla driver.

Last edited:
This is pretty good. You got on hell of a deal on tires, when i had couple of flats, to replace 19s was about $250 per tire mounted/balanced at local American Tires. Did you get a damn good deal $700 for set of 4?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+3&autoYear=2018

Assuming your tires lasted you about 35-40k miles per set?

Stock tires wore out quick around 25k maybe. 1st set I bought was from Discount Tire with road hazard warranty. Got a flat at 75k miles and they replaced 1 tire for free so I only bout 3 tires for $700.

I got my snow tires inexpensively on TireRack by putting in a different but compatible size. They are very nice and I paid around $600 for four 18" Pirelli Sottozero 3s on closeout. I didn't pay for shipping as there was the free Drive the Arc charging (which just ended this month) so I just drove to Reno to pick them up.

I then got a set of used but pristine 19" rims for $1100 with 4 so-so tires that I have put another 25K miles on in 2020. Ended up having a flat recently on a road trip but found two more Continentals on craigslist for what ended up being only $10. That set of tires on my summer rims is still roadworthy but I am on the snow tires right now as I cross into the 70,000 mark on my ODO and 3 years on the calendar. I probably have enough tread to go another 70K between the 8 tires I have now.

I have purchased things for the car (like a CHAdeMO adapter and that side sticker in the photo to the left), but those are toys, I am not including them here. So 70K miles for ~$1800 in expenses (replaced my cabin filter and wipers too), plus another $1,355.94 in paid charging (as of Jan. 15th) from MANY road trips. Otherwise I find free chargers and I installed a 7.2kW solar system at home two years ago this summer that has already paid for itself.

I am a very frugal and happy Tesla driver.

I should do probably replace wipers and cabin filter soon. We had a 15kw system installed and just powered on mid December. Been pretty dark and covered in snow alot so here's hoping summer can recoup the coss