Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched noise from drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, good luck with your project. I can't really see anything in the image, as it's only 1024x768. BUT, is there something in the lower left corner that might be a nut where a strap may be grounded? I've circled, in red, what may be a nut, but it's impossible to tell with the low resolution.
TESLA.jpeg

If it is the nut, then I'd remove it, noting how tight it felt to you, then clean it; and put it back on, TIGHTER, than 10Nm, which is just barely more than finger tight. I'd guess 25Nm would do the trick.

Reactions: Mil72-Frenchy
2022 M3P here with 1600 miles. I seem to have the same chirping/high pitched electrical morse-code (oscillates) like sound between 45 and 55 mph. Could it be the same issue? It is different than the acceleration whine. It happens when "nuetral" coasting at the same speeds (not applying go pedal or letting regen kick in). The sound goes away above and below that speed range. Its like nails on a chalkboard. The only thing I don't don't care for about my new M3P.

2022 M3P here with 1600 miles. I seem to have the same chirping/high pitched electrical morse-code (oscillates) like sound between 45 and 55 mph. Could it be the same issue? It is different than the acceleration whine. It happens when "nuetral" coasting at the same speeds (not applying go pedal or letting regen kick in). The sound goes away above and below that speed range. Its like nails on a chalkboard. The only thing I don't don't care for about my new M3P.

I have the same issue 2021

Sounds like this?

Hello, I am having the same sound issue from the drive unit. My service center said it is normal and 2018 model 3s dual motor have this sound. Link to a video I made to capture the sound:
Is this the sound that everyone is talking about? I might have to tighten the ground bolt myself!

So after many years of experiencing the whine I finally got around to tightening the ground strap nut. I haven't driven it enough to know if the issue is gone, but I haven't heard it in two days now (well, I did hear it briefly, but I'd say it's a small fraction of what it was before).

I want to give it more time and driving conditions before declaring victory, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it worked.

Summary:
-2018 Long Range Model 3 RWD
-Whining/pulsing when traveling around 30-60km/h with neutral(ish) power
-Whining was about 4khz if I recall what my meter was indicating
-Had ground strap replaced over a year ago according to TSB (didn't fix the issue)

Current fix attempt procedure:
-power off car from menu
-disconnect 12V
-disconnect HV pack
-Removed driver side rear wheel
-disconnect ground strap
-use steel brush to clean up rust on bolt, strap, and nut
-reattach strap and snuggly tighten
-replace wheel
-reattach HV pack
-reattach 12V
-press brake on car to turn it back on

• Funny
Reactions: akidesir and KenC
I think it’s hard to explain to those who have not had to deal with the unpleasant whine. The ‘regular’ Happy Tesla whine is similar to the intro noise that used to be played on the “model 3 owners club” videos from a year or two ago before they rebranded. I thought it was a neat noise before I got my car and recognized it as the subtle, and maybe even pleasant sound of the motor accelerating. But it is quiet, and not unpleasant. If you have music playing, even on a low level, you probably can’t hear it at all. That is normal. What I had was a much higher pitched and fairly unpleasant whine. You could hear it over loud music playing. Some days it was even louder, other days it was not as loud. Even at its loudest, it is very difficult to capture on video recordings. Some people have had fancy audio analysis to point out the pitch of the noise. But when your 70 year old parents who probably need hearing aids can hear the whine and ask you what that noise is, it’s not normal and is not the “usual” noise these cars make. And I think mine has finally been fixed, so I can say even more confidently that it is fixable, and not “within spec”. I even believe someone had a similar thread from Toronto who had the SC there add extra insulation to try and damp out the noise, and eventually gave up on it. I don’t know if it’s the same noise I had, but I thought I’d share because it seems like many people have whine issues, and if they are the same one I was having, there is a solution.
Thank you. Can you look at your service invoice and share details of what they did to fix this issue?

Well, I would venture to say that whichever Tesla location you are going to that claims it is within spec is not being honest with you, or not understanding what you're complaining about (if it is the same problem I've been having). Tesla Oakville didn't even listen and told me it is normal; Tesla Kitchener fixed it without me even seeing them in person due to the COVID precautions. It's hard to judge, as everyone perceives sounds differently, the car DOES make a "normal" but 'pleasant' whine, and it is difficult to capture the loud/bad whine clearly with video recording (all the recordings I've tried to make, or listened to online make the noise sound VERY quiet/barely noticeable, despite it being quite loud in person). Both my LR RWD and SR+ are now as quiet as the day I got them. I'm paying it forward because there are lots of things I learned on this forum, and if I can help a few people pinpoint their problem and the solution, I'm happy to contribute to the community! The video posted in this thread reproduces the problem I was having, but you have to turn your volume up, and know what you're listening for to hear it. The electrical almost beep-whine has been fixed for me, but the awesome futuristic acceleration hum is still there (as it should be!).
Hi can you go to your service invoice and share details of what they did to fix the high pitch noise? Thank you

Looking for a bit of advice as this is the sound I get on my recently purchased M3P. Both are recorded at a constant speed and the Morse code type sound or dragging chains it sometimes sounds like. The ground strap has been replaced I have been told and this thing can give me headaches for days. Any help would be appreciated on what I can do next?
and this video

Did you manage to get this fixed or a solution for the M3P?