Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Wh/Mi and slow supercharging rates on 2014 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed since last week my Wh/mi has been anywhere between 340-450 and significantly reduced my overall range. Additionally, the supercharging speed has now topped out at 50kw.

Did a software update come out that has throttled the older cars? It's odd timing as I just got new tires as well so in theory should have much better efficiency on the driving aspect.

your wh/mi is around what mine is and since you don't say what car you have i have no other frame of reference than my own car.

Also what was the battery % when you were getting 50kW? also was it cold outside, how long and hard had you been driving, did the car preheat for supercharging by navigating to the charger?

Need a lot more info to be able to say with any measure of certainty what the issue is.

I had about 50 miles starting which based on my data points is normally hitting 80-100kw. Warm temps, just started driving, did not pre heat.
What percent were you at? miles means nothing and should never be used that's like saying i have 200 minutes left on my phone battery. lol

also warm temps this time of year aren't exactly warm, and even down the hill y'all still get chilly, 65f or less ambient outside temps and you could easily have a cold battery especially if you didn't navigate to the charger. Even when you know where you are going you should do the navigate to the charger so it can get the pack ready. So I'm inclined to believe your pack was cold

I had about 50 miles starting which based on my data points is normally hitting 80-100kw. Warm temps, just started driving, did not pre heat.
I think the low supercharging speed is explained by your comment of just started driving and did not preheat. Even if it's 70-80F outside and the battery is stablized at that temp, that's not enough to hit peak charging rates.

Regarding the high Wh/mi and new tires, there is a break-in period on tires which likely causing a little higher Wh/mi numbers. This is one of the reasons that any vehicle certification testing is always done on vehicles after about a 4-5k mile run-in period.

Mine are always over 500 and today over 700. I was running 100mph to 140 and I'm on 295 25 22s.

Attachments

• 20230315_182225.jpg
    20230315_182225.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 68
I've noticed since last week my Wh/mi has been anywhere between 340-450 and significantly reduced my overall range. Additionally, the supercharging speed has now topped out at 50kw.

Did a software update come out that has throttled the older cars? It's odd timing as I just got new tires as well so in theory should have much better efficiency on the driving aspect.
Which tires did you get? I’ve seen a difference of as much as 100 wh/mile based on tires alone (summer vs winter).