Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher than normal battery drain with 2020.24.6.4 while parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No noise from the car, and I don't charge above 80% unless necessary. I disabled smart summon standby, I never use it. She dropped from 65 to 64 overnight, so whatever it was seems to have stabilized for now. I did use the app to put in a ticket, maybe they could have quickly fixed it remotely?

I've been tracking this too and for the last several updates. I have not noticed any significant change to the phantom drain.

However, Sentry mode on seems to be the biggest drain when parked and not in deep sleep.

I use Teslafi and have the hours between 7PM and 7AM in deep sleep mode but even this has a phantom drain of 5 miles range for the 12 hours. During the day it does not sleep. so the only thing I have on is Cabin overheat protection and it is working. The drain total for those hours is 1 mile range per hour not sleeping or 12 hours. So my total has been draining about 17 miles range per day with Cabin overheat protection on. If I shut off the Cabin Overheat the drain is very close to Deep Sleep of 10 miles range loss in 24 hours.

Other interesting observations is that Sentry mode is disabled when the car is parked and the remaining range drops to 60 miles. I saw this once and had plenty of range to drive 22 miles to a Supercharger.

I have done a number of tests with the MS so I know my limits and what to expect when traveling and relying on Superchargers.

I just received 2020.24 on my Model 3 and since I have been getting around 0.4mi/hr phantom drain at work where I do not have sentry mode active. Going back through my Stats app the phantom drain is almost non on weeks I have work with higher than normal on weeks I was on Furlough (at home w/ sentry mode active). This week is looking similar to those weeks with sentry mode on but I have confirmed it is off. Could this be from the new in car camera being active? I noticed it feels warm right by the inside camera. I also noticed a weird smell inside the car this morning.

I've been noticing more than normal vampire drain, even before getting 24.6 the other day. Like losing 5 mi just sitting in a shaded garage between morning and afternoon drives (interior 91 degrees, so cabin overheat shouldn't be coming on). I'm wondering if it's a function of battery cooling, after driving in the heat? Or is the battery indicator a bit lagging, and the miles remaining is lower than indicated while driving?

It sounds like I have a pump running all of the time, causing quite a large battery drain overnight.

My 2015 P85D+ did that after a software update a month or so ago. Cured it with a steering wheel reset but still occasionally the cooling pump(s) come on randomly.

Tesla Ranger replaced my 12V battery yesterday and pushed out update 2020.20.17 which I installed... Then 2020.24.6.11 update appeared a couple of hours later which I installed last night. Neither update caused "pump running all of the time, causing quite a large battery drain overnight" like you experienced... even after recharging from 50% to 80% overnight.

I'll check my overnight "parasitic draw" using my (no longer sold) EV Motorwerks WattBox 200 New Product - WattBox 200! on my Tesla HPWC and see if it's pulling any more "parasitic draw" amps than normal. If so I'll report it. If not I won't post and update.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I noticed increased drain after Deactivating the walk away door lock when home. I suspect it is because the car no longer sleeps in my garage.

I just selected "Exclude Home" in Settings: Vehicle: Walkaway Door Lock this morning. Will check to see if it causes an increase in the normal parasitic drain in my 2015 P85D+... but LOVE this new to us feature !!!

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I noticed my pump on the other evening. Just sitting in the garage, not charging. Opened the app to see if somehow climate was turned on, can't remember if the car had to wake or not but climate was off. Went into the garage opened the door, AC started up and shut and locked a few seconds later. Everything turned off and as far as I know (based on battery level) the pump didn't turn back on the rest of the night.

I just selected "Exclude Home" in Settings: Vehicle: Walkaway Door Lock this morning. Will check to see if it causes an increase in the normal parasitic drain in my 2015 P85D+... but LOVE this new to us feature !!!

no increased “vampire drain” with “Exclude Home”... documented by my eMotorwerks WattBox 200 virtual meter. Our nightly 1.2kW “top off” has been like this for 5 years.

Attachments

• 17E03744-C22D-4CA2-AD7D-AB43B469BB00.jpeg
    17E03744-C22D-4CA2-AD7D-AB43B469BB00.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 66
I am having same (new) problem on 2020.24.639. fairly dramatic (7 mile range loss just overnight with Summon and Sentry off, no pump noise). 2018 100D. I also think all of a sudden higher overall energy consumption when driving (>300 kw/h around town, has always been <300). Will try reboot again but I am concerned. Anything else I can do???

no increased “vampire drain” with “Exclude Home”... documented by my eMotorwerks WattBox 200 "digital submeter". Our nightly 1.2kW “top off” has been like this for 5 years.

I just checked again this morning and my 2015 P85D+ running 2020.24.6.11 software. It used it's usual 2.4 kWh at 10:00 PM (11kW for 12 minutes) recharging to 80% replacing the parasitic drain from the past 24 hours)... then another 1.2 kWh at 1:24 AM (11kW for 6 minutes).

It has been doing this "2nd recharge" for at least a year according to my eMotorWerks WattBox 200 "digital submeter" that logs ALL the activity on my Tesla HPWC (100A circuit, HPWC dip switches set to 80A but Tesla set to 50A).