Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given how much better damped the new model 3 is, has anyone tried ordered the OEM tesla parts and put the highland suspension on the original model 3?

It seems fairly inexpensive, relative to what some of the coilovers cost. It looks like they sell the whole spring, coil and top hat as a unit for the front between $160 and $190 for the complete assembly. Could potentially be a great upgrade that is a stopgap between going full coilovers and potentially having clunk or binding you see on some of the entry level teins, etc.

Not sure if all the mounts are the same and that's what I'd hope to find out here, since parts are available to order.

FRONT

REAR

Or Just get the Koni FSD suspension for that is what Tesla is using

“Tesla's introduction of frequency selective damping technology significantly enhances ride quality while preserving the car's dynamic handling. Based on KONI's patented design, this technology operates by adjusting damping forces according to the frequency of the suspension movement. High-frequency movements, typically caused by road irregularities, are dampened less, improving ride comfort, while low-frequency movements, associated with aggressive driving and cornering, are dampened more, ensuring optimal handling.”

Or Just get the Koni FSD suspension for that is what Tesla is using

“Tesla's introduction of frequency selective damping technology significantly enhances ride quality while preserving the car's dynamic handling. Based on KONI's patented design, this technology operates by adjusting damping forces according to the frequency of the suspension movement. High-frequency movements, typically caused by road irregularities, are dampened less, improving ride comfort, while low-frequency movements, associated with aggressive driving and cornering, are dampened more, ensuring optimal handling.”
In terms of getting the konis over the new OEM suspension. The OEM suspension is significantly more inexpensive. An entire assembly of the strut, spring and top hat is only $160-190 for the front. The lowest I’ve seen the red konis is about $840 for just the struts.

Finally created an account so I can follow this!

I really hope the Highland struts and shocks are compatible with the OG Model 3.

I have a 2022 long range and I CANT STAND how cheap it feels to drive. For $75,000 CAD all in, it feels, sounds, and drives like a cheap economy car worth at least 30k less... I could sell it now and pretty much buy a brand new Mazda CX-5 Signature in cash...

Reactions: enemji
This might proves useful, for posteritiies' sake... vintage 3 Parts believed to fit Highland refresh (and hence Higland OEM and aftermarket parts should also fit vintage 3s):

-coilovers
-all suspension arms
-all brake components
-wheel spacers, studs, lug nuts

Confirmed parts that fit:
Suspension - Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bearings
Brakes - Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit, Stoptech Big Brake Kit – 368/380mm

Source:

It’s not just the coils and springs that changed. You’d also have to change all of the bushings to get something resembling the highland. Probably not impossible, but it’ll be a pretty comprehensive suspension rework and you probably won’t be able to get Tesla to do it.

yeah for sure, but if I went with budget coilovers like tein, they come with their own issues like clunking, dirt collecting and lowering the car. So if I can achieve better damping, ride, and less modulation for about $600 all in, that's a good solution. Doesn't mean it is the end all, but potentially a good alternative.

Reactions: enemji and FatM3
I was about to order a set of front lower control arms. That's two compliance arms and two lateral links. $360 for the highland parts but I'm wondering if they'll fit. Visually they look the same just better bushings and more refined. Unfortunately they altered the geometry of the front hubs so all bets are off.
I'd follow that link the guy above posted to mountain pass performance. Looks like they are getting confirmation on each part.

Hey MPP,

Can you tell me why a new adjustable coilovers and shocks cost $3,000? And is that $CAD? I really want a softer ride, espectially for the rear, but 3k is a ton :(

Cole
Sure, they are built in Germany by KW Suspensions and use stainless steel, twin-tube dampers. Our prices are in USD! I'd suggest checking out our Comfort Non-Adjustable kits for the budget-minded Tesla owner.

Comfort Coilovers for Tesla Model 3 AWD/Performance

Fear not, I am here!!!

Our coilovers can be set at a maximum height of 10mm lower than stock compared to the OEM LR suspension. If you don't want to lower your car at all you may need to look at other options. Our coilovers have a wide range of operating heights but stock height isn't one of them.