Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In terms of getting the konis over the new OEM suspension. The OEM suspension is significantly more inexpensive. An entire assembly of the strut, spring and top hat is only $160-190 for the front. The lowest I’ve seen the red konis is about $840 for just the struts.
"significantly more inexpensive." That's an awkwardly pedantic way of saying less expensive.

I'd be interested in seeing a few of the top aftermarket suspension options for the M3, like MPP's comfort coilovers, bechmarked against the highland's OEM suspension. Reportedly the highland's suspension is better than that of the outgoing model's OEM suspension, but for those with an older model interested in upgrading the real question is how does its suspension compare to some of the existing options on the market.

Reactions: Tethlaaaa
"significantly more inexpensive." That's an awkwardly pedantic way of saying less expensive.

I'd be interested in seeing a few of the top aftermarket suspension options for the M3, like MPP's comfort coilovers, bechmarked against the highland's OEM suspension. Reportedly the highland's suspension is better than that of the outgoing model's OEM suspension, but for those with an older model interested in upgrading the real question is how does its suspension compare to some of the existing options on the market.
One of our Australian customers will be fitting the Sports kit on his Highland in about a 1-weeks time (he was running lowering springs and has unfortunately blown a stock damper already) so we will be able to get some feedback on how they compare to the stock suspension. The Sports kit was able to provide slightly better comfort than the OEM suspension on the older 3's, but we will have to see how it measures up on the softer Highland.

Yes, English isn’t my first language. Sometimes I make mistakes as I try to translate in my head and then to the keyboard. It should have said less expensive.

One of our Australian customers will be fitting the Sports kit on his Highland in about a 1-weeks time (he was running lowering springs and has unfortunately blown a stock damper already) so we will be able to get some feedback on how they compare to the stock suspension. The Sports kit was able to provide slightly better comfort than the OEM suspension on the older 3's, but we will have to see how it measures up on the softer Highland.
What would be great to see is this:
-average track time over multiple passes both on OEM and upgraded suspension, using the same car and driver for comparison.
-subjective scoring on a 5 point scale from multiple reviewers in the following areas: ride comfort, perceived noise, handling, and feel under heavy braking. All reviewers should drive the same stretch of road that includes both high and low speed corners, stops, and some rough pavement.

Anecdotal feedback is just too subjective to provide a quality comparison. While subjective data can be used, the evaluation criteria should be defined up front and should be measurable.

BTW, I appreciate what you guys are doing for the community. I'm running your comfort coilovers and am really happy with them for daily use. Just wish someone would provide a more structured comparison of the various suspension options on the market for the M3.

Per recent reports, in my case mostly from Germany, the front suspension is similar or same. The rear however had been fully redesigned not only with new shocks but all other suspension parts.

Can't find the video, but there is a German Mechanic that did take all apart and compared old vs new.
Based on this, if even the mounts and geometry are different a retrofit is impossible. YMMV

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
If I can get my hands on *confirmed* 2024 suspension parts for a reasonable price, I'll be the guinea pig.

I've already changed out my suspension 3 times in pursuit of a better ride, and my recent highland test drive confirms, that is the ride I want! Looking for used highland suspension has been a bust so far and all the common internet sellers (i.e. ebay sellers) just say 2018-2024, so who knows what you're getting. I know it won't be the full highland experience without the softer bushings and subframe mounting, but it should definitely be a big improvement.

I've not ordered parts directly from Tesla before, anybody with some first hand experience or guidance on that? Where do you see the price in the catalog? Do I just walk into the service center and tell them what I want with part numbers?

If I can get my hands on *confirmed* 2024 suspension parts for a reasonable price, I'll be the guinea pig.

I've already changed out my suspension 3 times in pursuit of a better ride, and my recent highland test drive confirms, that is the ride I want! Looking for used highland suspension has been a bust so far and all the common internet sellers (i.e. ebay sellers) just say 2018-2024, so who knows what you're getting. I know it won't be the full highland experience without the softer bushings and subframe mounting, but it should definitely be a big improvement.

I've not ordered parts directly from Tesla before, anybody with some first hand experience or guidance on that? Where do you see the price in the catalog? Do I just walk into the service center and tell them what I want with part numbers?
New M3 has been around for just a very short time. It'd be hard to get used parts from that model, even on ebay.
I've ordered parts, suspension actually, from parts dept at my Tesla Store. No problems at all.

If you've gone 3 times with suspension upgrades, which I understand, I'd look into upgrading the car. The new Highland suspension most likely will not fit old M3. One can go aftermarket, but I've seen mixed results from most non Tesla solutions. For the money and time, I'd just get a new M3.

As an owner of 2x MY I am looking forward for MY upgraded version.

Regarding part#s. Yes, I walked in, requested the parts and done. Had to wait for my shocks around a week as those were shipped from CA. Good luck.

Following. I really want to know what the Highland compression arms look like and if it's interchangeable. (1344354-00-A). Parts catalog confirms they're new.

1710185274988.png

It's probably my least favorite part on the car. I tear the OEM rubber bushing every 6 months or the ball joint starts clunking. The aftermarket alternatives I've tried fail even faster. I ordered the Powerflex arms on Black Friday and they're still back ordered. My closest service center is 2.5hrs away but I might take the risk and order them if someone else doesn't try it soon.

Reactions: FatM3
I ordered item 2 and 1 from the diagram above which appears to be the 2024 highland car. I'm going to try replacing the set on my 2018 car with them. They generally look the same as the 2018 part, just smoothed out maybe to aid in releasing from the mold for manufacturing. The bushings look different which is why I ordered them. I had to keep telling Tesla I know they "might not fit my 2018". Cost is 360 for the entire front "axle", meaning both sides. Before ordering I checked with Unplugged Performance and was told they haven't validated (tested) the fitment but the lower arms should fit. The hardware is also the same I noticed.

My front upper control arms were replaced recently with the upgraded German Meyle units, and now I hear creaking so I'm going after the lower arms.

If you don't want to spend 3k on coilovers, the Teins are a good option. They ride well, and based on the data it appears they use FSD like the new Highland car. Only downside I see is Tein's design is likely heavier. I had a set briefly on an Acura and Honda. The Honda got plenty of abuse but never had an issue.

Currently @ 135k miles.

Reactions: GOVA and FatM3
I ordered item 2 and 1 from the diagram above which appears to be the 2024 highland car. I'm going to try replacing the set on my 2018 car with them. They generally look the same as the 2018 part, just smoothed out maybe to aid in releasing from the mold for manufacturing. The bushings look different which is why I ordered them. I had to keep telling Tesla I know they "might not fit my 2018". Cost is 360 for the entire front "axle", meaning both sides. Before ordering I checked with Unplugged Performance and was told they haven't validated (tested) the fitment but the lower arms should fit. The hardware is also the same I noticed.

👍 Please keep us posted. If you swap one wheel first, gives us an interim update how it went (while having a break to swap the other) ;)