Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you guys deal with the top nuts? I have a 2022 Model 3 so I'll have the same issue. I heard the Model Y has larger holes so you can fit a socket on the nuts.
I dealt with it by using a jack to help me align the top hat against the FUCA mount and using a thin 13mm socket from Ko-ken (2300MZ-13). My new front damper assemblies came with pretty crooked top hats because the springs were not flat on the top, so I had to use substantial force from the jack to help mate the top hat against the FUCA mount. The jack pushes the bottom of the damper assembly towards the FUCA mount. The studs have to be almost perfectly coaxial with the holes for the socket to be able to spin the nuts onto the studs. Without a jack there's no way to defeat the spring force that is causing the top hat to be misaligned with the FUCA mount. However, the axial alignment continues to improve as tighten whichever of the nuts you can tighten at the start, because the nuts are pulling the top hat up, incrementally overcoming the spring and making the top hat flat against the FUCA mount.

Attachments

• 1718600961610.png
    1718600961610.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Tethlaaaa and SS_M3
I dealt with it by using a jack to help me align the top hat against the FUCA mount and using a thin 13mm socket from Ko-ken (2300MZ-13). My new front damper assemblies came with pretty crooked top hats because the springs were not flat on the top, so I had to use substantial force from the jack to help mate the top hat against the FUCA mount. The jack pushes the bottom of the damper assembly towards the FUCA mount. The studs have to be almost perfectly coaxial with the holes for the socket to be able to spin the nuts onto the studs. Without a jack there's no way to defeat the spring force that is causing the top hat to be misaligned with the FUCA mount. However, the axial alignment continues to improve as tighten whichever of the nuts you can tighten at the start, because the nuts are pulling the top hat up, incrementally overcoming the spring and making the top hat flat against the FUCA mount.
When I had my Koni front shocks installed they took whole FUCA mount of as there was no room for sockets to get just top mount off.. My next mission might be these highland suspension parts so is it better to do same way or drill narrow openings on top more open to get sockers past sheet metal on top of topmounts?

^Interesting. I'm sure that's a common service complaint. If you have attempted to make the minimal adjustment to camber/caster by moving the mount at those holes, they can be misaligned even more.

I tried going through those holes in the chassis at the 13mm nuts one time. IMO way easier to take the whole FUCA mount out. I've swapped front suspension probably 6+ times.

Hi
I just ask here Finland cost of parts and they are a bit different.
1344472-00-B Rear spring assembly - coil 120€, that is same price
1344462-00-D Rear damper 140€, same price
1344362-01-D Front damper assembly 358€, 200€ more price
1344362-00-D Front damper assembly 358€

All with bolt and nuts 1239€
getting same pricing in UK. Tesla must have raised prices.
What version of model 3 you upgrading from?