Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway grime!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So took my new model Y for an amazing highway ride and ugh look at the front!

I guess this is an advertisement to get a clear bra??

was waiting till after my initial service appointment tmrw.

Will a regular car wash get them off??

Dont believe you attached an image
F1C4FF28-F6C9-4D5A-AFF2-018FC379327C.jpeg F1C4FF28-F6C9-4D5A-AFF2-018FC379327C.jpeg 83D4761C-936E-474F-A99A-7928BB2015C3.jpeg F1C4FF28-F6C9-4D5A-AFF2-018FC379327C.jpeg 83D4761C-936E-474F-A99A-7928BB2015C3.jpeg

Can I take it to a drive thru car wash?

Tesla recommends hand washing from what I’ve heard. I don’t own one yet, but I’ll probably just wash it with the waterless product I sent you and go to the manual hand wash stations in town for a heavy duty clean. I’ve read about people doing automatic car washes, but make sure it’s touch less, as the ones with big brushes can damage the sensors. For the bugs, you’re probably gonna need to scrub a bit if you don’t have a ceramic coating or wrap, so you’d be better of doing the manual wash.

NOOOOOOOOO. Auto car washes are awful for your paint. 1 time through and you will need a $1000 paint correction to get the swirls out. Invest in a good lambs wool or microfiber mit, Get a bulk pack of micro fiber clothes from costco and spend some quality time washing on the weekends. Chemical Guys make a great detail spray also, for those quick clean ups to tote around that arm candy we call our wives.

Why are people so afraid of car washes lol... yes you can go through a car wash with a Tesla. It is a car. It will be fine. If you care about paint/micro swirls and all that, then chances are you already know car washes do that kind of damage to ANY car you've ever owned. If you don't, then don't worry about it.

Reactions: Ohelig
Going to sound a bit weird but I’ve been using Honda Polish since 2007 or so when i take long trips. I just spray a thin layer before i set off, and when i get to my destination i spray a bit more and then wipe everything off. It’s been great for all of my vehicles and Florida bugs. This thread reminded me to go buy some for an upcoming trip.

Honda Genuine OEM Spray Polish Kit; 12oz, 4oz, and Microfiber Towel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V942Y6O

People tend to freak out about car washes. There is a soft touch car wash near my house that I go to after a road trip and then I detail it by hand when I get home. I’ve used it at least 20 times in 2 years. No sign of paint swirls or damage at all. It’s a very gentle car wash.

I have seen plenty of car washes that have like a track and pull your car along and seem like they would damage the wheels.

So if you can find a soft touch/contactless car wash I would say you’re safe.

People tend to freak out about car washes. There is a soft touch car wash near my house that I go to after a road trip and then I detail it by hand when I get home. I’ve used it at least 20 times in 2 years. No sign of paint swirls or damage at all. It’s a very gentle car wash.

I have seen plenty of car washes that have like a track and pull your car along and seem like they would damage the wheels.

So if you can find a soft touch/contactless car wash I would say you’re safe.
There is thread about the chemicals in the touchless car washes staining the black trim