Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hillbilly fix for rear seat squeaking - Refreshed S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I

Found a fix for the rear seat squeaking. Works 100% if your noise is coming from the hinge at the bottom of the seat back that connects the 60/40 section. From what I gathered from troubleshooting, part of that hinge has some slack in it, and creating just a little bit of pressure near the base of the seat back on one side of the split, will create pressure on the hinge and get the squeak to go away. It doesn't need to be much pressure at all; I just put a trash piece of a car detailing sponge in between the seat back and the carpet of the trunk (pics below showing what it was, where & how it was inserted).

When I had the seat out, it looks like the specific issue may reside with that split insert (possibly considered to be a bushing) closes in on itself and reduces the gap/diameter of the insert. Tested this by taking a flat tip screwdriver and twisting it in that insert's gap to open it back out more and the squeak went away, but then it came back again a few days later. With the sponge in between the seat, it has been perfect.

Found a fix for the rear seat squeaking. Works 100% if your noise is coming from the hinge at the bottom of the seat back that connects the 60/40 section. From what I gathered from troubleshooting, part of that hinge has some slack in it, and creating just a little bit of pressure near the base of the seat back on one side of the split, will create pressure on the hinge and get the squeak to go away. It doesn't need to be much pressure at all; I just put a trash piece of a car detailing sponge in between the seat back and the carpet of the trunk (pics below showing what it was, where & how it was inserted).

When I had the seat out, it looks like the specific issue may reside with that split insert (possibly considered to be a bushing) closes in on itself and reduces the gap/diameter of the insert. Tested this by taking a flat tip screwdriver and twisting it in that insert's gap to open it back out more and the squeak went away, but then it came back again a few days later. With the sponge in between the seat, it has been perfect.

I had exact same issue since day 1 of my plaid s, which is little less than a year now. Tesla service even replaced the entire seats but no success.

The squeak is less when the seats are folded and when it's cold. (as in weather).

There seems to be two reasons for this. One is a rattle (at the latch area) the other is squeak that Sam1 states.

Rattle
at the latch area can be fix by applying a felt tape to the latching metal but I've been meaning to find out fix for the squeaking ever since.

I am definitely going to try this right away tomorrow and see how it improves.

Do you think this sponge tape would also do the job. Since it will likely be placed for good I'd like to make it cosmetically good as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106_235216_Home Depot.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106_235216_Home Depot.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20230106_235221_Home Depot.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106_235221_Home Depot.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 58
I had exact same issue since day 1 of my plaid s, which is little less than a year now. Tesla service even replaced the entire seats but no success.

The squeak is less when the seats are folded and when it's cold. (as in weather).

There seems to be two reasons for this. One is a rattle (at the latch area) the other is squeak that Sam1 states.

Rattle
at the latch area can be fix by applying a felt tape to the latching metal but I've been meaning to find out fix for the squeaking ever since.

I am definitely going to try this right away tomorrow and see how it improves.

Do you think this sponge tape would also do the job. Since it will likely be placed for good I'd like to make it cosmetically good as well.

It doesn't take much to do it. Been weeks now for mine and the noise never came back

I had this issue with my Model S 2023, the noise came from the rear passenger seat and below is what I did to get it fixed:

1. I removed the bolster from the right back seat, here is the link with instructions on how to do that:

Bolster - Outer - Seat - 2nd Row - LH (Remove and Replace) (tesla.com)

2. There a pivot bracket that holds the seat hinge in place, you need a flathead screwdriver to pull it out. Your will see this metal pivot bracket in step 6 of the instructions in the following link. Once the plastic place holder is pulled to the right as it shows in step 6 I was able to pull up the seat and I've put some velcro on the metal bracket that is welded to the body of the car and then I've placed the pivot bracket back in its place. The noise was coming from the metal pivot bracket that was sitting on the metal bracket that's attached to the body of the car. It took me a few hours to find it. Here is the link with the instructions. Once you get to step 6 and you pull the seat up a little bit you can stick the velcro between the two brackets to prevent it from making the noise:

Seat Back - 2nd Row - RH (Remove and Replace) (tesla.com)

Reactions: laakness and Sam1
I had this issue with my Model S 2023, the noise came from the rear passenger seat and below is what I did to get it fixed:

1. I removed the bolster from the right back seat, here is the link with instructions on how to do that:

Bolster - Outer - Seat - 2nd Row - LH (Remove and Replace) (tesla.com)

2. There a pivot bracket that holds the seat hinge in place, you need a flathead screwdriver to pull it out. Your will see this metal pivot bracket in step 6 of the instructions in the following link. Once the plastic place holder is pulled to the right as it shows in step 6 I was able to pull up the seat and I've put some velcro on the metal bracket that is welded to the body of the car and then I've placed the pivot bracket back in its place. The noise was coming from the metal pivot bracket that was sitting on the metal bracket that's attached to the body of the car. It took me a few hours to find it. Here is the link with the instructions. Once you get to step 6 and you pull the seat up a little bit you can stick the velcro between the two brackets to prevent it from making the noise:

Seat Back - 2nd Row - RH (Remove and Replace) (tesla.com)
Thank you for this suggestion. I was able to do the same thing this weekend and think that it solved my squeak. I only did the passenger rear and put some felt tape on the vertical portions of the bracket. I found when I lined the whole bracket that the hinge wouldn't sit all the way down in the bracket.

So far, so good. Hoping for a squeak free summer :)

Reactions: Sam1