Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hints at 200KW MS Charge rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
Last edited:
I saw that, and I'm pretty sure that was just for the new purchases; doubt it'd be for existing S/X.

I'd pay for a charging upgrade. If it took new hardware I'd do it. But I have a feeling the cables have to be run before the car is completely together, so that may be a no-go.

I'd also even pay for a battery upgrade.

Actually bugs me a lot that Tesla's policy is generally "no upgrades or retrofits" even if you want to pay for it.

Actually bugs me a lot that Tesla's policy is generally "no upgrades or retrofits" even if you want to pay for it.

I'm sure this has more to do with the fact that they have trouble supporting their new products let alone being able to support existing customers' products... I'm sure when/if they ever hit the point of having excess production capacity this policy will be the first to change.

Reactions: Gen3
I'm sure this has more to do with the fact that they have trouble supporting their new products let alone being able to support existing customers' products... I'm sure when/if they ever hit the point of having excess production capacity this policy will be the first to change.

Doubt that. I don’t see Tesla ever getting to a point where it makes business sense to encourage people not to buy new cars.

Doubt that. I don’t see Tesla ever getting to a point where it makes business sense to encourage people not to buy new cars.

Don’t other manufacturers do that? My wife’s old Volkswagen Passat had the crappy RNS-510 radio that was slow as molasses. The following mode year they upgraded it. I could have swapped them out... except for the fact the new one was like $2000.

I see that happening over nothing at all.

Don’t other manufacturers do that? My wife’s old Volkswagen Passat had the crappy RNS-510 radio that was slow as molasses. The following mode year they upgraded it. I could have swapped them out... except for the fact the new one was like $2000.

I see that happening over nothing at all.

I think that speaks well to the difference in sales and service models.

A Volkswagen dealer has all the incentive in the world to sell you an overpriced OEM radio upgrade and then charge you overpriced labor to install it, because that's how they make money.

Tesla has zero incentive to tear your car apart and retrofit new components. Might happen here or there as a goodwill gesture with infotainment-type stuff, i.e. the apparently still promised MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. But major components like charging circuitry, next-gen batteries, stuff like that? No way. Too much liability with zero upside for the manufacturer.

Reactions: ahkahn
Possibly cars ordered today will have that capacity, but it doesn't make sense for Tesla to announce until all the cars ordered prior to the new upgraded battery have been delivered, or else they'll have another social outrage on their hands, people canceling orders just so they can re-order with new battery, etc. If they wait, they announce that new cars get it, oh, and some of the already delivered cars too, so bonus for those people, but nobody canceling their delivery.

I think we all get a little spoiled with the free over the air updates. New features get added to the existing fleet, even those 5+ years old. Other car manufacturers rarely do this. I had a Ford Fusion with touchscreen and was promised software upgrades for features and additional apps. The most I ever got was patches to fix bluetooth issues after iOS upgrades. But hardware swap outs are a different story, especially as the fleet has grown into the 100's of thousands and include S, X, 3, and roadster with the Y, roadster 2, semi, and pickup around the corner.

We all know Tesla doesn't wait for model years to make changes. They just swap in the next thing even after you place your order. So it's exciting to think it could be an easy, paid upgrade from MCU1 => MCU2, or battery pack, or air suspension. Heck, it was a single click of the mouse during the order process. But we also know getting parts takes a long time, and the service centers are backed up weeks in many places for routine service. I don't see how they could support paid upgrades for thousands of charging systems with the existing service infrastructure without impacting delivery of new vehicles. Maybe this will change when they build out the service centers more, and ramp up more production lines. But at the moment if you want a drastic change like battery upgrade, you probably have to do like every other manufacturer and trade in for a model a few years newer than what you have.

ps. I go in Thursday for my hardware / software upgrade for BioDefense which is the 1 feature I wanted out of the premium package but couldn't justify the price. So I'm happy to say Tesla does offer some hardware changes post purchase. They didn't have to do this.

Reactions: jldf310 and f205v
It could be the faster charging rate is coming on new vehicles, and Tesla isn't ready to announce that yet.

Or, it could be that Tesla believes they can OTA update to S/X vehicles (at least those with 100 battery packs) to handle the faster charging, and they aren't ready to announce that yet (still testing).

Or, it may have been just a mistake in an update pushed to the website, and they didn't intend to make that change at all.

Realistically, we're not expecting a significant reduction in charging time for our S or X 100D's - the biggest impact for V3 will be reducing the charging times for the higher volume 3's that are using the superchargers now and eliminating the penalty when two vehicles are sharing a charger.

Though we wouldn't mind 170 miles in 15 minutes...

I think we all get a little spoiled with the free over the air updates. New features get added to the existing fleet, even those 5+ years old. Other car manufacturers rarely do this. I had a Ford Fusion with touchscreen and was promised software upgrades for features and additional apps

That's why I bought a Tesla because that was advertised as a feature, so it's nothing bonus / extra about it. It is to be expected.

Reactions: darxsys
That's why I bought a Tesla because that was advertised as a feature, so it's nothing bonus / extra about it. It is to be expected.
That's like saying you took one job over another because they said they'd pay a bonus on top of regular salary, then claiming it's not a bonus. Sure, it's something you're expecting, something you made a decision to act based on it being included, but it is still absolutely above and beyond the normal.

• Disagree
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
That's like saying you took one job over another because they said they'd pay a bonus on top of regular salary, then claiming it's not a bonus. Sure, it's something you're expecting, something you made a decision to act based on it being included, but it is still absolutely above and beyond the normal.

I disagree. It is above and beyond normal compared to other manufacturers, but as emmz0r said, it is a standard Tesla put on themselves by themselves so it's not above and beyond what they promised. It's standard and they should be held accountable for what they say.

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
I disagree. It is above and beyond normal compared to other manufacturers, but as emmz0r said, it is a standard Tesla put on themselves by themselves so it's not above and beyond what they promised. It's standard and they should be held accountable for what they say.
Tesla promised me free OTA updates which they have delivered. My car did not ship with rain activated wipers, auto high beams, camping mode, navigate on auto pilot, or best of all, the ability to mortify my teenage daughter with fart noises in front of her friends (priceless). They also promised me AP3 hardware IF it becomes necessary for the FSD feature I paid for. I anticipate the will provide that IF it becomes necessary. What they did not promise is the topic of this thread. The ability to swap out my charging system to handle SuperCharger v3 either free or as a paid upgrade. Maybe we get a software update on the S/X to handle an incremental charge rate increase, and maybe it is for the folks with larger battery packs only. But I have no justification to be upset if they don't deliver 1,000 charge miles per hour since it isn't something they promised. If you choose to be upset, then be upset and see where that gets you.

Reactions: DukeofURL

It's more like signing a contract with a set of perks you knew about upfront. And you might have signed because of those perks. Part of the package.

Tesla promised me free OTA updates which they have delivered. My car did not ship with rain activated wipers, auto high beams, camping mode, navigate on auto pilot, or best of all, the ability to mortify my teenage daughter with fart noises in front of her friends (priceless). They also promised me AP3 hardware IF it becomes necessary for the FSD feature I paid for. I anticipate the will provide that IF it becomes necessary. What they did not promise is the topic of this thread. The ability to swap out my charging system to handle SuperCharger v3 either free or as a paid upgrade. Maybe we get a software update on the S/X to handle an incremental charge rate increase, and maybe it is for the folks with larger battery packs only. But I have no justification to be upset if they don't deliver 1,000 charge miles per hour since it isn't something they promised. If you choose to be upset, then be upset and see where that gets you.

Good point! It's not a problem with the software updates in on itself.
However, people paid a lot more for this car, and when 3 gets features over OTA that surpasses the "flagship" by 2x, they react.