Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a dead deer last night and car is out coolant :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla (and all manufacturers) collect data on collision damage. If they see a trend of critical parts being damaged, they will design protection for them.

Example is when some Model S were having batteries damaged by road debris, they quickly developed a titanium armor piece. Put it on all production cars after that and offered free retrofit to the existing fleet as well.

Tesla didn't do that because of some elaborate data collection effort. They did that because the accidents that punctured the battery were getting a lot of bad press.

I guess I should have said that I’ve never seen a car where it’s so easy to do damage that costs a third of the value of the car to fix. Having plastic bits on the battery that are exposed to road debris and require a full pack replacement to fix is not great.

I don't know that any of that is true.

I'll have to see the research and data. ( especially about having a battery pack having to be replaced ).

I'm not a person that believes something to be true just because "its stated".

Lastly...concerning "the cost of repair". There are a lot of things that Tesla requires concerning repair that other manufacturers don't. The requirements to repair a Tesla does not exist across the board.

I don't know that any of that is true.

I'll have to see the research and data. ( especially about having a battery pack having to be replaced ).

I'm not a person that believes something to be true just because "its stated".

Lastly...concerning "the cost of repair". There are a lot of things that Tesla requires concerning repair that other manufacturers don't. The requirements to repair a Tesla does not exist across the board.
Here's a thread: M3 $15K in damage from hitting a rock to the underbody?
I think there are others. Here's a picture of where it can break and require pack replacement.
image.png

Unfortunately, that's all I could get before the car was towed away :( to the Authorized Tesla body repair...

I'm moderately optimistic that the lump of deer just pushed up the aero shield, and broke a coolant fitting below one of the motors. (This would not result in the feared battery replacement.) I don't have any pictures of that area under the motors, without those aero shields in place, so not sure where the vulnerable points are.

But anyway, keep us updated.

Now.....Labor and Time might be high if they had to drop the battery pack, but not if they just have to replace that hose adapter.

Looks pretty obvious to me they could not replace that fitting without opening up the battery pack. It has been hypothesized that Tesla has a very strict policy regarding doing any "repairs" to battery packs. So even if you could just pop the top off the pack and access the fitting from the inside and replace it, they would likely not allow that at the service center. The risk is just too high for Tesla, and I don't blame them for being conservative on that point, really. (Please distinguish this from my other opinion that I do think they shouldn't make these fittings so vulnerable.)

So, new pack from the factory!

hmmmmm…….I just don't know.

It does not look like battery pack damage. Now.....Labor and Time might be high if they had to drop the battery pack, but not if they just have to replace that hose adapter.

Anyway......
They do not repair battery packs at the service centers. Look carefully and you can see the plastic piece coming out of the battery pack is broken and can only be replaced by opening the battery pack.
If this happened to my own car I would probably just glue it back on or try to mount a different fitting. It's pretty poor design IMHO.

Reactions: C141medic
They do not repair battery packs at the service centers. Look carefully and you can see the plastic piece coming out of the battery pack is broken and can only be replaced by opening the battery pack.
If this happened to my own car I would probably just glue it back on or try to mount a different fitting. It's pretty poor design IMHO.

We aren't talking about replacing the battery pack. We are talking about repairing a part inside of the battery pack - that requires the removal of the pack.
That's labor labor labor by someone that knows what they are doing - with the correct equipment and training - which makes it easy for them. That port can be replaced without destroying the battery pack via removing the 4 screws and replacing the port.

Its not a poor design. Its a great design.

Tesla's aren't built for the average "gorilla glue" enthusiast to exercise their skills. <------ and I like it that way.

That port can be replaced without destroying the battery pack via removing the 4 screws and replacing the port.

How do you figure? That looks physically impossible to do without disassembling the pack (I guess upon re-reading that's what you're saying they would do). It's clearly pulled in from the inside using those bolts, not pushed down from the outside! (There's no plate on the outside!) And even if there were, there is likely going to be an internal connection to something, on the other side, that would probably need to be undone.

There's no way that particular damage would be touched at the service center as it does require pack disassembly - I guess we both agree on the disassembly part. If they have the pack out they're going to put in a new or factory-refurbished one. I'm still hopeful the OP's damage will prove to be more accessible and more easily addressed.

We aren't talking about replacing the battery pack. We are talking about repairing a part inside of the battery pack - that requires the removal of the pack.
That's labor labor labor by someone that knows what they are doing - with the correct equipment and training - which makes it easy for them. That port can be replaced without destroying the battery pack via removing the 4 screws and replacing the port.

Its not a poor design. Its a great design.

Tesla's aren't built for the average "gorilla glue" enthusiast to exercise their skills. <------ and I like it that way.
Yes, Tesla charges $15k to replace that plastic fitting by replacing the entire battery pack. Removing the battery pack is not nearly as easy as it was on the Model S/X and opening a Tesla battery pack is a destructive process that requires new parts to reassemble (which Tesla will not sell you!).

IMG_20191105_091821.jpg
Looks like your front motor took a big hit. I know you mentioned battery coolant, but I wonder if it was the motor fluid that leaked.

Are you referring to this photo? Tesla's support said coolant levels look low (according to the logs they can see on their end).
I asked if they mean the battery and he said yes. Front motor definitely took a hit.

Last edited:
followed by a slight increase in premium

Shouldn’t be any at all. This should qualify as a comprehensive claim, not collision.

... so much misinformation out there. Hitting an animal is not covered under collision coverage; only comprehensive. If you, say, swerved to avoid hitting a deer and instead hit another car or a light pole, *that* would be collision.

But a deer and only a deer? Comprehensive.

Last edited:
How do you figure? That looks physically impossible to do without disassembling the pack (I guess upon re-reading that's what you're saying they would do). It's clearly pulled in from the inside using those bolts, not pushed down from the outside! (There's no plate on the outside!) And even if there were, there is likely going to be an internal connection to something, on the other side, that would probably need to be undone.

There's no way that particular damage would be touched at the service center as it does require pack disassembly - I guess we both agree on the disassembly part. If they have the pack out they're going to put in a new or factory-refurbished one. I'm still hopeful the OP's damage will prove to be more accessible and more easily addressed.

I've been inside of the battery pack AT the service center. Maybe not ALL service centers do that kind of work, but I've seen it. Maybe some service centers replace the entire pack, however I've seen it done. The battery packs won't have to be touched.

Its really not that difficult. Just a lot of work.

Oh well......