Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit Curb and now it's the start of month 4 Waiting for Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're not able to find a repair in our service centers like the one described here. Sadowner, please private message me with your name and repair order?

Thanks,

Jon
And who might you be New member Jon? I only pray that someone that is really from Tesla sees this and reaches out to me. I put a call in to tesla HQ today but havent heard back. However, in all fairness, they said it could take up to 24 hours so Im crossing my fingers guys. Plus it's not at a SC. It's at a certified body shop.

Just dont get in any type of accident and you'll be fine. Car was amazing from what I remember of it. And yes this is real. This is what I have resorted to in order to try to get my baby back as I sit hostage to this process. I was supposed to get it back three times already and I'm hoping this will help bring attention to the level of frustration that someone goes through in this scary process. Besides, its pretty much current owners, if not all current owners on this forum. What I'm trying to say is...im not trying to talk anyone new out of buying the best car in the world. Im saying to all current owners...dont get in an accident, or be prepared to be without it for a long time. I dont want anyone to have to go through this experience.

Pay no attention to the self-appointed bullsh*t police. After all, they're only right if you're wrong. Whether your story is accurate or not will have exactly zero bearing upon their or Tesla's well-being.

And if it helps any, Tesla really does try to reduce these edge cases in terms of the delay. But first and foremost, what you'll get back will be safe, and probably indistinguishable from new (the accident reporting and depreciation aside). You may end up having to keep the car a bit longer in order to burn through the depreciation, but in the big picture, it could be worse.

Reactions: SadOwner
Pay no attention to the self-appointed bullsh*t police. After all, they're only right if you're wrong. Whether your story is accurate or not will have exactly zero bearing upon their or Tesla's well-being.

And if it helps any, Tesla really does try to reduce these edge cases in terms of the delay. But first and foremost, what you'll get back will be safe, and probably indistinguishable from new (the accident reporting and depreciation aside). You may end up having to keep the car a bit longer in order to burn through the depreciation, but in the big picture, it could be worse.
Thanks TJ. I've heard that more than once now and it does make a guy feel better. I'll be sure to post updates as I go through this process and I'll be certain to post how the car turns out.

Lot's of sour grapes here ... do you have a bit of buyers remorse? :oops:

Hello All,

... What's even more frustrating is that almost immediately after I purchased my brand new P85D, they discontinued it. Plus they gave the car a facelift, added biowepon defense mode, and increased the battery size for the same price as I paid for mine. Now it's tarnished and labeled as an accident car, and has depreciated over 30,000.00 (according to Tesla) and counting. Oh yeah, and I can't even drive it. Okay, now that I'm done venting, can anyone come even close to beating this amount of time for a car repair? Anyone have any advice on how to get the problem resolved? And finally, is there interest in the youtube vlog. I guess at this point, I really hope I'm the exception because I think I have an ulcer. Peace.

Sounds like you damaged the suspension in a severe accident ... possible frame and drive unit damage? :eek:

Thanks for the replies. I know it's not Tesla's fault. In fact that's great that they continue to innovate and move forward. Also, that curb is going to cost over 25,000.00 in repairs and climbing. Their replacing fuses, front drive motor, and other stuff that seems to not fit the accident but who am I to say?

Did you take the car to the Tesla SC? :rolleyes:

Yes, that is correct, I hit the curb at a pretty good clip. I know they're not trying to rip me off. I just don't understand how it can take 4X longer to fix than it did to order and build the entire car.

Why did you go to a body shop for structural repairs to the drive unit and suspension ... o_O

It is at a certified body shop not the SC. Im sure it could have to do with who's fixing it and not just what they're fixing.

This story is fishy to say the least :cool:

And who might you be New member Jon? I only pray that someone that is really from Tesla sees this and reaches out to me. I put a call in to tesla HQ today but havent heard back. However, in all fairness, they said it could take up to 24 hours so Im crossing my fingers guys. Plus it's not at a SC. It's at a certified body shop.

I'm responsible for service globally for Tesla. Very much want to assist you, but need your info to help.

Still waiting for the direct message with name and Repair Order. Body shop name helpful also.
If you're really from Tesla, PM me with a legit email and I'll be happy to send that info. That's why I'm here. I just dont want my info broadcast over this forum as Im getting the feeling that there are a few haters on here. Im just trying to get my baby back and trying to help you fellow tesla owners from going through the same thing.

It is at a certified body shop not the SC. Im sure it could have to do with who's fixing it and not just what they're fixing.
Okay now you are really confusing things. In your first post you ranted about how "they" kept finding new things to repair and how long it was taking and you said "TESLA please get your act together!"

Now you tell us that Tesla is not repairing the car but a certified body shop is doing the work.

You said that your car incurred "zero body damage" after you "hit a curb" but the damage the car did suffer was so severe that the front drive motor "and other stuff" had to be replaced. That makes no sense to me. How do you ruin the front motor by hitting a curb? And an independent shop is replacing the front motor? Wouldn't Tesla do that type of repair?

Your statements are not credible.

Okay now you are really confusing things. In your first post you ranted about how "they" kept finding new things to repair and how long it was taking and you said "TESLA please get your act together!"

Now you tell us that Tesla is not repairing the car but a certified body shop is doing the work.

You said that your car incurred "zero body damage" after you "hit a curb" but the damage the car did suffer was so severe that the front drive motor "and other stuff" had to be replaced. That makes no sense to me. How do you ruin the front motor by hitting a curb? And an independent shop is replacing the front motor? Wouldn't Tesla do that type of repair?

Your statements are not credible.
Thanks for your opinion ecar fan but Im certainly not doing this for my health. Maybe the drive motor repair was from having to drive the car out of traffic with a completely flat tire. Who knows. I certainly didnt come on here to post false statements. I will keep repeating this and that is I will continue to update everyone through this process as I think it's a great learning experience for all of us. I will end by posting the final repair bill once I get my car back along with pictures of before and after repair.

I can't comment on your service delays. I haven't had that experience. Sorry for your lousy experience. Personally I think it is the third party and not Tesla.

I can comment on the MS model changes without notice. Sometimes one is on the lucky side or the unlucky side. My personal experience was taking delivery of my P85+ on 9/30/14. Tesla had asked me to move up the delivery date to help meet their Q3 production targets. With no fanfare, announcement or other communication, all Model S's coming off the Fremont production line that week miraculously had AP hardware. Most didn't know what it was and what it meant. I was just glad to have gotten it. Of course two weeks later in mid-October 2014 the D's were announced and my model was discontinued. Had I not gotten AP hardware, I would have had a case since Tesla moved the delivery date up. But all is good. People I know that were on the other side of the luck that month did work out some pretty good deals to upgrade their pretty new Model S's and even get all wheel drive.

Things don't always go as planned. But sometimes they get better.

That's not Tesla's fault. You knew the Tesla does not follow a model year.

See above.

What? For hitting the curb? Seems absurd.

Also, not everything Tesla says is correct, I'd take the $30k with a grain of salt.
I had a very similar accident last August. Hit a curb hard. Both front and rear suspension components on one side of the car broken and damaged: wheels, tires, brake rotors and cylinders, upper and lower control arms, steering tie rods and rack, drive shafts, air suspension, misc other items.

10 weeks to repair, $39,000. No body damage.

All I can tell you is that the parts availability is what's slowing them down. Every time they find something else that has to be replaced, it's another 2-4 week wait for that part. I got fairly lucky, they assessed my car and ordered everything at once.

The good news is that my car drives exactly like it did prior to the accident -- you can't even tell that anything has ever happened to it. That's the important part, I hope they're able to get this done for you as well, and hopefully soon.
how does it work with the insurance? I got a similar insurance quote for a model s as I did for my Scion FR-S.. I was surprised and even more surprised when I read stories like these.

If you're really from Tesla, PM me with a legit email and I'll be happy to send that info. That's why I'm here. I just dont want my info broadcast over this forum as Im getting the feeling that there are a few haters on here. Im just trying to get my baby back and trying to help you fellow tesla owners from going through the same thing.

email sent

Bobby -- this was the result of a parts price mistake in our system. Our service team will reach out to you to give you a corrected estimate.

@JonMc - just to confirm are you Jon McNeill Head of Global Sales and Tesla VP?@bobbykansara - your Post is now in the news:
New Car Reviews, Ratings & Pricing, Auto News for New Models
@cbotnyse - I believe what you are talking about is the pano roof on Model 3 which is different than Model X windshield. I am expecting the windshield on Model 3 to be similar to Model S windshield.

Thanks, @JonMc !

I am happy to report to everyone that the CORRECT price of the windshield replacement is approx. $880 (NOT $2300 as I was originally quoted). Once again, Tesla comes through with exquisite customer service! Frankly, I am very pleasantly surprised as I thought the cost of the windshield replacement would be much, much higher. Either way, the Model X remains the greatest thing I have every purchased.

Tesla President comments on a forum to save Model X owner $1,400 on windshield quote

Last edited:
Anyone else impressed that a member of senior management reached out personally and publicly in mid-2016 at 10pm California time to help an individual owner?

Neverminding that these aren't even TM's official fora. Yes, I know members of senior management have posted occasionally in these (TMC) fora for years. Partially because unlike a certain official set of fora, the search function *here* actually works :).

Makes me feel extra special good (Trading Places voice) about being a shareholder through thick and thin. Nicely done.

He's legit. Reference post #34 and 40 in prior thread (see below). I'm sure you know by now.

Cracked Model X windshield

Hello All,

I think I'm on my way to a world record for longest wait time to fix a car with zero body damage. In March 2016 I hit a curb with my brand new Tesla P85D. I blew the front drivers side tire and damaged the rim but there was zero body damage. Now we're three days from July and I'm still getting the whole "we found something else line". Yesterday they said they found a suspension knuckle that needed replacing!!! How they can have a car for months on end and not realize that something that sounds so obvious as a suspension knuckle needs replacing is beyond me. I have been extremely patient up until this point but man, where does one draw the line? Has anyone else experienced this before. I am going to start a youtube vlog on friday posting the latest progress while posting the running tally for length of repair time. I am going to do a new video every other day with the latest progress and excuses. TESLA, please get your act together! Everyone keeps asking where the car is and I just now simply shake my head. What's even more frustrating is that almost immediately after I purchased my brand new P85D, they discontinued it. Plus they gave the car a facelift, added biowepon defense mode, and increased the battery size for the same price as I paid for mine. Now it's tarnished and labeled as an accident car, and has depreciated over 30,000.00 (according to Tesla) and counting. Oh yeah, and I can't even drive it. Okay, now that I'm done venting, can anyone come even close to beating this amount of time for a car repair? Anyone have any advice on how to get the problem resolved? And finally, is there interest in the youtube vlog. I guess at this point, I really hope I'm the exception because I think I have an ulcer. Peace.
Not exactly sure I believe this story, or that anything hasn't been omitted, or that an ICE company isn't involved...

The OP sounds like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum.

Shortly after I bought, AP hardware was added. Rather than cry like the OP, I said I got exactly what I ordered and paid for, and I was pleased Tesla was constantly innovating.

We create our own realities and it doesn't surprise me that when Tesla reaches out to him here he responds like the world is out to get him.

Some people thrive on conflict. If you can avoid those types in life -- both personally and professionally -- it makes for such a better existence.

OP is new, we were all new once.
OP doesn't know the terminology (Tesla certified body shop vs. Tesla service center), we did't know the terminology at one point.
OP stated that he came here to vent, most of us have done that on this forum or others.
etc. etc. etc.

Cut the guy some slack. A Tesla rep contacted him, let them sort it out instead of assuming the OP is a troll.