TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cracked Model X windshield

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bobbykansara, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Nothing in my policy about the Model X and I drive a Lexus RX 350 (expecting July delivery on the X), but when I called my current insurance company to get a quote to add the Model X, they stated its not in their system yet (fair as the first Model X to arrive in Canada isn't expected till the end of June), and she gave me a quote based on the Model S with a comparable vehicle value...the premium was reasonable, and actually slightly lower than my RX 350, but she said that the smallest deductible they offer on Tesla's is $5,000 (she claimed that this is applicable to any car over $100,000 CAD)

This is RBC Insurance up here in Canada (Ontario to be specific)

2. Reeler

Reeler 9th Year of Pure EV

Our windshield spontaneously cracked along the bottom. The SC had the car at the time. No damage anywhere. They are replacing it for free.

• Informative x 1
  3. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

Thanks for your kind condolences. Luckily, my insurance will cover the whole thing. The SC said it would take 2-3 weeks to get the new windshield. I was pleasantly surprised it was not a longer wait.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  4. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Does the $2290+tax price include installation?

5. CaliX

CaliX Member

I was thinking it would be 2-3 months. 2-3 weeks not bad. Still sucks though...

6. sukhi

sukhi Member

@bobbykansara, sorry to hear that and hopefully you will get a replacement soon. As they say in the cybersecurity world, the large windshield implies large threat surface and hence increased risk of such incidents.

7. Reeler

Our SC doesn't have the special hoist to even install our new one. The Model X is back in the shop for the 3rd time with door issues. No windshield fix tool yet.

8. Footbag

Footbag Member

Just to clarify (since you implied all of Canada), that might be the case in Ontario, but it seems to work differently here in Alberta. Repairs are not always covered (depends on company) and based on a couple of insurance companies I spoke with, having them replace the glass, and pay the (high deductible) could result in an increase in premiums.

I did have 3rd party (AMI) glass coverage on other cars, but AMI classified the Model S (and presumably the Model X) as exotic (same class as Lambo/Ferarri/etc) and thus would not issue coverage.

• Like x 1
  9. cbotnyse

cbotnyse Member

I wonder if the cost will be similar for the Model 3's pano windshield.

10. zambono

zambono Active Member

That cost replacement is probably low, my pano roof on the range rover was cracked and they are replacing right now estimate was around $3200, the glass alone is $2500. So far the bill is around $5k and it has been 3 weeks. Of course insurance covers it minus deductible

11. Reeler

Our windshield is being replaced now. The car was in the shop for a broken passenger door and the windshield was in so they are installing it. Do I have the first windshield replacement EVER?

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I'm sorry, @Reeler, but is yours a crack or a ghosting issue? If the latter, I'll be interested to see how much benefit you realize.

13. Reeler

3 foot crack about 1" from the bottom of the visible part of the windshield.

• Informative x 1
  14. JonMc

JonMc Jon McNeill - Tesla President of Sales and Service

Bobby -- this was the result of a parts price mistake in our system. Our service team will reach out to you to give you a corrected estimate.

• Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@JonMc - just to confirm are you Jon McNeill Head of Global Sales and Tesla [email protected] - your Post is now in the news:
    New Car Reviews, Ratings & Pricing, Auto News for New Models
    @cbotnyse - I believe what you are talking about is the pano roof on Model 3 which is different than Model X windshield. I am expecting the windshield on Model 3 to be similar to Model S windshield.

16. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This makes me a little nervous for @bobbykansara - I can't imagine the adjustment will be downward.

17. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Direct link: Tesla Model X’s stunning panoramic windshield cost ~$2300 to replace

Interesting article, it states that average SUV windshields come to $200-400....however....I had to get my windshield replaced for my Lexus RX 350 once...and it was $1100 plus taxes... (covered by insurance of course)....and this was when our Canadian dollar was worth more than the US a couple years back haha.

18. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I am in California and I have GEICO coverage and I asked them about limits on windshield replacement.
    1. Windshield damage is covered under Comprehensive coverage
    2. For minor repairs like chips, no deductible, repair will be fully covered
    3. For windshield replacement, deductible as per your policy applies
    4. Cost of repair they will cover cannot exceed market value of car and in most cases the windshield cost will be much lower than the cost of replacing the vehicle. So essentially the limit is the value of the car.

19. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

I expect that the replacement cost per unit would be lower, due to larger economies of scale for the Model 3 component.

At the vehicle fleet level, consider that the Model X panoramic windshield is in the front, while the Model 3's large glass piece is in the back. In the past 20+ years, I cannot ever remember myself or anyone I know having a rock or other object damage the rear window of a vehicle during ordinary driving. Overall cost for Model 3 for rear window damage should be very minimal compared to the Model X front windshield.

Basically: Apples vs. Oranges.

20. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

Thanks, @JonMc !

I am happy to report to everyone that the CORRECT price of the windshield replacement is approx. $880 (NOT $2300 as I was originally quoted). Once again, Tesla comes through with exquisite customer service! Frankly, I am very pleasantly surprised as I thought the cost of the windshield replacement would be much, much higher. Either way, the Model X remains the greatest thing I have every purchased.

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 7