Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch installer recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are threads about the drawbacks of 3rd party Hitch, please read them. but I would like to share my thoughts, but the bottom line is just go with OEM Tesla Hitch, it comes with the tow mode software that 3rd party cannot give you.

I was quoted by U-Haul $850 for everything, but ended up getting $1000 with my MY order. but I still think $1300 (post delivery) is decent to spend especially if you are to use the hitch for towing things rather than bikes and cargo carriers only.

Upvote 0
there are threads about the drawbacks of 3rd party Hitch, please read them. but I would like to share my thoughts, but the bottom line is just go with OEM Tesla Hitch, it comes with the tow mode software that 3rd party cannot give you.

I was quoted by U-Haul $850 for everything, but ended up getting $1000 with my MY order. but I still think $1300 (post delivery) is decent to spend especially if you are to use the hitch for towing things rather than bikes and cargo carriers only.
I’m doing this mostly for carrying bikes (4 bikes max). I read that the OEM hitch supports vertical weight of only up to 160 lb, while the Torklift hitch support up to 350 lb. So thinking the Torklift one might be a better option. Not?

Upvote 0
I think thats a typo error. Its probably related to model X hitch receiver where you attach the device to a receiver pointing downwards. Please see below. In model Y the receiver is pointing horizontal like most of the cars and trucks. Therefore the vertical limit is the same as the tongue limit of 350 lbs class 2 but with a 2 inch receiver. 4 bikes should be fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_224800_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_224800_eBay.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
I’m doing this mostly for carrying bikes (4 bikes max). I read that the OEM hitch supports vertical weight of only up to 160 lb, while the Torklift hitch support up to 350 lb. So thinking the Torklift one might be a better option. Not?
forgot to mention. what type of bike rack do you have? if its the platform 4 bikes might be limiting, but if you have the hanging, then 4 bikes should be fine.

how much did they quote you? are you installing the hitch yourself? might be cheaper for you but install is PITA.

Upvote 0
Don’t buy aftermarket, you need the software upgrade to actually use the hitch. Even a bike rack would keep throwing errors without it. I’m glad I bought the Tesla hitch. It was actually a great experience they gave me plenty of Uber credits and got it done in one day.

Upvote 0