Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2023 Model Y OEM Hitch from Ebay and getting installed by Tesla .Thoughts ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a recent Model Y owner , thinking to buy a ecohitch or OEM hitch from ebay to attach a bike rack and get it installed at my local Tesla service center .They said they can do it for 165$ .Has anyone did this before ? What am I missing here if I buy one and take it to tesla for installation rather than paying 1300$ for the installation ? I am leaning towards Ecohitch since its only 400$

Anyone care to send me the links for the OEM Hitches they purchased . A quick google search gave me few options . Would these suffice if I buy them and take it to service for installation ? Not sure about wiring and Also I only need this hitch for biking not for towing any trailers

1)EcoHitch
2)Trailer Hitch 1514757 OEM from Ebay

Tesla is not going to touch anything not made by Tesla. Sometimes they won’t install OEM Tesla parts if the box has been opened.
Homelink is the only Tesla OEM part I can positively say that they won't install if the box is opened (since the box even states that it isn't to be opened except by a certified technician). But a tow hitch? Not sure why they would care if the box is opened with that? But yeah, if it ain't Tesla, doubt they will touch it with a 10 foot pole.

random tow hitch installed on my tesla... what could go wrong!
Ecohitches are not "random" - pretty well known company with a vast catalog of stuff.

I really have my doubts about the install actually being $165 at a Tesla shop though. That sounds like the hourly rate (maybe even a little cheap for that), and there's no way the book time for an entire hitch install is 1 hr. I'm sure it's possible, but it likely calls for more labor in their catalog.

Reactions: akidesir
If they agree to do it for $165, you are getting a deal. I would take the words from your local service center over random dudes on an Internet forum, though. If they say they will do it, I would take them at that.

My service center took three hours to install the OEM hitch.
Was the OEM Hitch new or an old one ? How did you even got hold of a new OEM hitch. I heard once a part (Hitch) is assigned to VIN they cant put it another VIN ?

Was the OEM Hitch new or an old one ? How did you even got hold of a new OEM hitch. I heard once a part (Hitch) is assigned to VIN they cant put it another VIN ?
Mine was bought directly from the Tesla store and installed by their service center. My point was only about installation time.

I’ve read of others buying them from eBay and installing them without issue. I’ve also heard of Tesla service centers installing aftermarket parts. From that perspective, I can’t imagine they’d have an issue with it.

The $165 doesn't sound that far off. From what I remember when I ordered my car 2 years ago.. the hitch installed from the factory was a $1,000 option.. whereas having it installed after delivery at a service center was $1,200. So you figure even then they were basically charging $200 to pull the rear bumper cover off, install the hitch, connect the electronics and then reinstall the cover.

That said if I got a choice.. OEM all the way. I've added aftermarket hitches to a couple of vehicles myself. And while it's generally speaking straightforward.. you have to remember that the Tesla hitch is different in that it activates software, to enable "tow-mode" which will do two things:

1) Disable the rear parking sensors so the car doesn't beep like crazy when something is added to the hitch
2) Help with acceleration, traction control, and vehicle stability when towing a trailer.

Buying an aftermarket hitch will NOT allow you to access the "tow-mode" software feature. I feel like I just answered this question on Facebook. I guess you are asking the same question here, as you did there. Skip the aftermarket. Get the OEM. And yes $165 in labor is DEAL!! A hitch is big & heavy.. it sucks to install yourself. And ain't much fun with a friend helping.

Reactions: KevinT3141
The $165 doesn't sound that far off. From what I remember when I ordered my car 2 years ago.. the hitch installed from the factory was a $1,000 option.. whereas having it installed after delivery at a service center was $1,200. So you figure even then they were basically charging $200 to pull the rear bumper cover off, install the hitch, connect the electronics and then reinstall the cover.

That said if I got a choice.. OEM all the way. I've added aftermarket hitches to a couple of vehicles myself. And while it's generally speaking straightforward.. you have to remember that the Tesla hitch is different in that it activates software, to enable "tow-mode" which will do two things:

1) Disable the rear parking sensors so the car doesn't beep like crazy when something is added to the hitch
2) Help with acceleration, traction control, and vehicle stability when towing a trailer.

Buying an aftermarket hitch will NOT allow you to access the "tow-mode" software feature. I feel like I just answered this question on Facebook. I guess you are asking the same question here, as you did there. Skip the aftermarket. Get the OEM. And yes $165 in labor is DEAL!! A hitch is big & heavy.. it sucks to install yourself. And ain't much fun with a friend helping.
Thanks for your detailed reply.Now the question is where do I buy a new OEM hitch because my service center just replied that they are not going to install an old OEM hitch on mine

Does anyone who has installed a hitch have a problem with ground clearance of carriers used in the hitch. For example when pulling in or out of a drive a dirt bike carrier bottoming out? We ordered a Model Y P and are concerned with how low the vehicle sits.

Does anyone who has installed a hitch have a problem with ground clearance of carriers used in the hitch. For example when pulling in or out of a drive a dirt bike carrier bottoming out? We ordered a Model Y P and are concerned with how low the vehicle sits.
Not yet. My driveway has a bit of a slant. I have a Kuat Transfer 2.0 dual bike carrier and no issues.

For peace of mind and to get the hitch SW enabled, I would definitely go with the OEM hitch, especially knowing that a non-OEM rack may replace the rear safety bar with something that hasn't necessarily been tested in a rear crash.