Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
......I, myself, did my analysis from the perspective of a full-blown midlife crisis. After an astonishingly brief conversation with my wife -- isn't your spouse supposed to hear you out and sympathize with your needs? -- it turned out that the whole girlfriend/mistress thing was emphatically a non-starter. That left the car option.

i almost squirted my drink out my nose when i read this!...lol....something i would not have the balls to say to my wife, but I'd imagine the conversation coming out the exact same way :)

After an astonishingly brief conversation with my wife -- isn't your spouse supposed to hear you out and sympathize with your needs? -- it turned out that the whole girlfriend/mistress thing was emphatically a non-starter. That left the car option.

Alan

Best not to give your Tesla a girls name then.

Just call it "The car" play it safe.

......... I asked Tesla about it and they said huh, we'll just give you a new one; some circuit in the battery pack failed to keep 12V battery charged, so rather than make me wait a week or two while they opened up the battery pack and went in and fixed that exact path they said huh, how about we just give you another battery pack, keep the loaner over night, pick up your car & new pack tomorrow; but if you read the forums now you will find WAY fewer drive and/or pack replacement stories than ever before, so reliability is going up not sideways or down. And when's the last time you bought a gas car and something went wrong with the engine so they just said, huh, let's give you a new engine rather than have you wait?

you crack me up! lol...you do realize you make everyone that's skeptical feel a lot better when u say things like this right?

Hi, @wdolson,

I can see you're a very reasonable guy. Your requirements for the vehicle and your analysis demonstrate that. I, myself, did my analysis from the perspective of a full-blown midlife crisis. After an astonishingly brief conversation with my wife -- isn't your spouse supposed to hear you out and sympathize with your needs? -- it turned out that the whole girlfriend/mistress thing was emphatically a non-starter. That left the car option.

There is no other vehicle I'm aware of in my price range that offers that combination of midlife crisis satisfaction (acceleration, handling, appearance) and practicality (people capacity, cargo capacity, reliability, mileage, etc.), AND is also so environmentally friendly.

A few comments on your comments...

My SO is a rather unusual person, for one thing she can't grok jealousy. I could probably get away with the mistress thing, but alas, I'm extremely monogamous. I may have a midlife crisis someday, but I have been through several episodes in my life where I coughed up a metaphorical hairball and changed life course. The most dramatic and first was when I was 16-17.

I've also never really defined myself by what I drive. I caught a lot of flak for buying a Buick in my 20s. The fleet manager I had been dealing with was on vacation when the car was delivered and one of the regular sales people did the paperwork. He thought I was giving the car to my parents who happened to be in town visiting and took me to the dealer. Even he had trouble getting his head around a 20 something buying a Buick. It's the car that worked best for me among what was available at the time. The Caprice would also work, but the 1992 Caprice was horribly ugly styling and the Buick was a bit better looking.

I do not believe in range anxiety so much as I believe in time anxiety. With a gas vehicle, it is unusual to find yourself far from a gas station. When you get to a gas station, it's usually <10 minutes to refuel. So in a gas vehicle, it's pretty reasonable to wait until the warning light comes on before thinking about refueling. In an EV, the true penalty (IMHO) is the time it costs to recharge. The Tesla can be recharged from any 110V outlet, and there are certainly way more of those than there are gas stations. But the time required at 110V is unacceptable. So recharging requires more consideration.

I think the single biggest change that has mitigated that problem since August 2013, when I took delivery of my Model S, was the energy-aware and charger-aware trip planning software upgrade. Sadly still buggy, but it still makes a world of difference. My family and I routinely travel to DC via the Tesla Supercharger network, and no longer worry about range charging before we leave or pre-calculating the route.

The time to charge is a consideration on a trip. It was an initial tick in the con column, but with the car meeting everything else so fantastically, I looked deeper to see if I could deal with it and learning about superchargers and such, it became obvious that the range and time to charge issues were manageable.

Hard to beat that cost and the renewable resource involved!

Yes... but you guys have some truly awesome windsurfing!

Alan

I didn't fully realize how cheap electricity was here until I started researching charging the car. I knew it was cheap compared to the rest of the US (and world), but didn't realize how cheap until I started researching and looked at our bill.

Hood River, OR just up the road about an hour is the wind surfing capital of the world. I'm not into it, but it is a popular sport around here. My SO's ex-husband used to windsurf a lot and moved to the town across the river from Hood River.

I realized this past week just how much I love my car. I had dropped it off at the service center for another attempt to fix the front passenger window. Intermittent problem where it doesn't want to go up on the first attempt after being open. They'd had it all day this past Thursday, and when I hadn't heard from them by 4:30, I decided to check the app and see if I could tell if they were working on it still. The app kept saying "waking car", but wouldn't connect. After closing the app a couple of times and restarting with the same outcome, I actually started to feel a little bit of panicky separation anxiety type feelings. I set my phone down and thought about the ridiculousness of being this attached emotionally to a CAR. Then I called them to check on my baby.

Well, I took delivery of my 70D today! So far it seems just absolutely perfectly fantastic.

I've been nervous for weeks that the 70D might seem sluggish since I'd test driven a P85. Much to my delight, I confirmed that the concept of "fast enough" works exactly as planned. The car is undoubtedly "fast enough" for my purposes and it's a real joy to drive.

Just a few hours in, but so far no drive unit failures, milling noises, leaks, squeaks, or rattles! Woo hoo!

I could not be more pleased. The wife and kids think it's a sweet ride, too. Today has been a good day.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and wisdom. If you see me out on the road, be sure to give a wave!

Congratulations ! You will not regret it. I never was really a car guy before but the model S is a truly life changing vehicle. I look forward to driving to work every morning and look for any excuse to take a drive. My wife says I should install a bathroom so I could then live in the car. Hopefully you will feel the same way about your new baby.

I didn't fully realize how cheap electricity was here until I started researching charging the car. I knew it was cheap compared to the rest of the US (and world), but didn't realize how cheap until I started researching and looked at our bill.

I hear you.

I went from a 1993 Acura Integra still getting over 30 MPG at around $130 a month in gas to my PHEV costing about $10 in gas and barely $20 in electricity (running on electric about 88%).

I've since gotten solar, so now it's $0 electricity at home. Since the city bills my City of Austin ChargePoint card fees to my electric bill, most of my around town charging is 'free.'

Well, I took delivery of my 70D today! So far it seems just absolutely perfectly fantastic.

I've been nervous for weeks that the 70D might seem sluggish since I'd test driven a P85. Much to my delight, I confirmed that the concept of "fast enough" works exactly as planned. The car is undoubtedly "fast enough" for my purposes and it's a real joy to drive.

Just a few hours in, but so far no drive unit failures, milling noises, leaks, squeaks, or rattles! Woo hoo!

I could not be more pleased. The wife and kids think it's a sweet ride, too. Today has been a good day.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and wisdom. If you see me out on the road, be sure to give a wave!
Funny stuff, you got a real LOL out of me ... My 70D should arrive next month ...

First off, let me Welcome you to the Tesla Family!
When speaking of a Tesla, you will find here, a great & knowledgeable group of enthusiasts who will never waver in trying to understand and help you resolve whatever issues or questions you may have, concerning the car.
With that said, when it comes to taking the plunge in becoming an EV owner, you have done yourself proud by buying a Tesla. Nearly all who own or have driven the car will tell you, It is like no other, in the amount of sheer pleasure and excitement that will be had.
I hate to say that Tesla owners are rabid fans but we DO love our cars. Not everyone has the same reasons but all will agree, we really do, look for reasons just to drive it.
My family thinks I have hit a midlife crisis because of this purchase, it's so unlike me to buy such a 'premium' car. That is until I take them on a test ride and then let them drive the car.
The words I have heard, uttered from those who never say such words, Ha! A life changer!
We sit in our cars, just to be there. We stand and stare at it, we smile and grin for silly reasons.
We do date nights in the car, share a good beverage or so, stare out of the moon roof and listen to the radio. It makes one feel invincible and alive.
When was the last time you truly just wanted to sit in a car and kick back like that??
Most people will never know how to relive these emotions of first love but owning a Tesla sure goes a long way in helping to jump start those feelings!
It is really hard to not to brag on a Tesla because it is a way of life, so you will find kindred souls here who will tell you, the only hand holding you'll need is that of new love,,,,
For the Love of a Tesla

How was the Charlotte store? I'm close (Fort Mill) and considering taking the plunge late next year.

They were great to me. It's basically a big empty car-dealership looking building and parking lot, but everyone I met there was very enthusiastic and professional. I highly encourage scheduling a test drive. That's what pushed me over the edge, for sure.

I just had to go back and re-read this thread today. I am taking delivery this weekend and the first 5 threads this morning were all negative. Reading through this again has helped!

I hear you. That's why I started the thread. There is a lot of negativity, but I understand it - there's only so many times and ways you can say "this is great!"

Two weeks in, I love my 70D and have had no problems. There's quite a learning curve, even though I considered myself pretty well informed. I keep discovering new features and tricks. Tomorrow I go on my first trip out of town, which will require charging somewhere other than my garage. I'm slightly nervous but looking forward to it!