Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hold" mode stopped working today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed what I think is a new behavior with hold (noticed since the 2018.50.x update or so). Arrive at a traffic light, brake to a complete stop. Hold mode engages. At that point I might rest my foot on the floor rather than the brake. Or remove some pressure from the brake pedal. If I then reapply pressure to the brake, hold mode disengages. If you then remove brake pressure the car can roll.

It might seem like a strange sequence of events, but light touches can cause this and some traffic lights can be really long! Nothing bad has happened with me but I can see potential. Also I'm not sure why this would be desired? My preference is the way it used to work - press the go pedal to release hold.

I've noticed what I think is a new behavior with hold (noticed since the 2018.50.x update or so). Arrive at a traffic light, brake to a complete stop. Hold mode engages. At that point I might rest my foot on the floor rather than the brake. Or remove some pressure from the brake pedal. If I then reapply pressure to the brake, hold mode disengages. If you then remove brake pressure the car can roll.

It might seem like a strange sequence of events, but light touches can cause this and some traffic lights can be really long! Nothing bad has happened with me but I can see potential. Also I'm not sure why this would be desired? My preference is the way it used to work - press the go pedal to release hold.

Pressing either the brake or the accelerator to release the Hold brake has always worked for me. I don't believe this is new behavior.

Perhaps the new behavior is mine then. Any thoughts on what the upside is to releasing hold by pressing the brake a second time?
I didn't know this either. Sometimes I pull into my driveway, then stop on a hill and need to reverse to get over to my mailbox (it's a sharp turn and up a hill to get into the driveway. Tapping the accelerator in reverse to release hold is very jerky, tapping the brake and letting it roll back would be way easier.

I imagine your pointed down a steep hill. You have hold engaged, you don't want to lurch forward quickly so you tap the brake to release hold instead. (Maybe like your trying to parallel park facing down a steep hill).

Didn't want to make another thread, so I'm using this existing one. So today after a supercharging, I got back onto the road to realize the the "(HOLD)" mode stopped working. Did a soft reset while driving and nothing showed up. Read that others had problems after update or after going into sleep mode it comes back. Has anyone encountered this yet?

A lot of people have a basic misunderstanding of how brake hold engages by design. It doesn’t come on by itself when you stop. If you don’t have creep on it may seem that way but the intended function is to come to a complete stop, then press brake firmly as a separate action to engage hold. Brake or accelerator releases.

Today I parked my tesla 3 in a driveway that was on the high side of the street. The driveway was slushy and icy. I pushed the park button and turned off the car. Went in the house and got a call shortly thereafter that the car slid into the street. It was unnerving and no one was hurt. How do I avoid this in the future? Is there another step I should have taken?

Today I parked my tesla 3 in a driveway that was on the high side of the street. The driveway was slushy and icy. I pushed the park button and turned off the car. Went in the house and got a call shortly thereafter that the car slid into the street. It was unnerving and no one was hurt. How do I avoid this in the future? Is there another step I should have taken?
What do you mean by you turned off the car?

If it actually slid instead of rolled, there’s nothing you can do differently.

@kdewey6804 What tires do you have on the car? Sounds like the car slid, not rolled, and your tires are inadequate for the conditions and situation.

I would also suggest not parking on a steep section of driveway in the winter, especially if you're not running snow & ice tires.