Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That video was taken in July 2021.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.10.10 PM.png

We're traveling down I-5 this week, and I can say that north of Sacramento there are fewer options but plenty of stations along the way from WA to CA.

We found that in Central Ca along I-5 Tesla has filled it out nicely, and while on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, it still may not be enough, There re 56 chargers in Firebaugh, 40 in Kettleman city with a lot more under construction across the highway from the current station. and in Tejon Ranch there are currently 20 or so on one side of the freeway and 28 on the other with another 28 nearly complete next to the first 28. With almost all of these being of the V3 variety the time to charge should be reduced for most drivers, If people just charge to what they need to get to the next Supercharger, the time on a charger will be greatly reduced. Learn to trust the Nav and trip computer and ride the bottom 15% of the pack. That speeds up charging tremendously.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
We're traveling down I-5 this week, and I can say that north of Sacramento there are fewer options but plenty of stations along the way from WA to CA.

We found that in Central Ca along I-5 Tesla has filled it out nicely, and while on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, it still may not be enough, There re 56 chargers in Firebaugh, 40 in Kettleman city with a lot more under construction across the highway from the current station. and in Tejon Ranch there are currently 20 or so on one side of the freeway and 28 on the other with another 28 nearly complete next to the first 28. With almost all of these being of the V3 variety the time to charge should be reduced for most drivers, If people just charge to what they need to get to the next Supercharger, the time on a charger will be greatly reduced. Learn to trust the Nav and trip computer and ride the bottom 15% of the pack. That speeds up charging tremendously.
I'm a new MS LR owner. Maybe it's because I'm going 80-90 MPH up/down the 5. Speed significantly kills range (duh). The Nav doesn't recommend ideal chargers. It's either too far. Or too close, lol. I think trusting the Nav makes more sense if you follow the speed limit. (I only have 2300 miles on my car so my experience is limited.)

I'm a new MS LR owner. Maybe it's because I'm going 80-90 MPH up/down the 5. Speed significantly kills range (duh). The Nav doesn't recommend ideal chargers. It's either too far. Or too close, lol. I think trusting the Nav makes more sense if you follow the speed limit. (I only have 2300 miles on my car so my experience is limited.)
Try planning your trip with A Better Routeplanner . You can optimize it to choose fewer stops, quickest arrival or shorter legs.

yes 90MPH is a range killer, you might be better off at 80 and taking the reduced charging needs. We ran between 75-80 and pretty much were going with the traffic flow- except the trucks when they would pull out and go 56 as they passed a truck going 55 it seemed that was a frequent event on this trip. Another range killer that isn't talked about too much is wind, if you have a 20MPH headwind and go 90MPH that's the equivalent of going 110MPH- and that would stifle the range for sure!

So... How's Thanksgiving weekend travel going out there? Anyone reading this while waiting in a super long line? Anyone choose the 99 instead of the 5 since there's more Superchargers now than there used to be?

We're making the trek from south to north on Monday, then back next Saturday. I'm just wondering what we're in for.

So... How's Thanksgiving weekend travel going out there? Anyone reading this while waiting in a super long line? Anyone choose the 99 instead of the 5 since there's more Superchargers now than there used to be?

We're making the trek from south to north on Monday, then back next Saturday. I'm just wondering what we're in for.
Leave at o-dark-thirty, say, before 6 am. That way you hit the mid-point charging stations before others hit the road.

Moderator note: This post was merged from another thread.

Telsa is giving away free Supercharging to get people to use the chargers during off-peak times. Runs from Wednesday through Sunday.

Get the kids up early or let them sleep in the back seats at night.

Here is a link with a list of participating Supercharger locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny... earlier in Monterey, there was a wait time at Del Monte Center. (Old school slow chargers). But the other two locations, Sand City, and Marina had less than half the stalls occupied - and both (whithin 8 miles of the Del Monte sight) are v3 chargers. If you're coming into or out of the peninsula from the North, you will pass both of them.

Just came back from a pre-Thanksgiving trip from the Bay Area down to Solvang and back, on the US-101 corridor (southbound on Sunday, northbound on Tuesday). No waits at any Superchargers we stopped at. A couple of locations filled up after we got there (Arroyo Grande and Buellton on Sunday afternoon), but as far as I could tell, nobody had to wait longer than a few minutes.

Bruce.

were there any superchargers that were full or close to full down I-5 ??
Kettleman City (the original one) was 1 or 2 stalls away from full when we got there. As a side note, I could not figure out where to get the code to get in. Coffee was delish.

FYI, we stopped at Firebaugh (we were hungry), then Kettleman (needed coffee), and then Bakersfield. While we were driving Saturday afternoon, I noticed a couple full SCs on the screen but did not really pay attention. On the way back, we had plenty of available stalls up 395.

Reactions: newjacka
Kettleman City (the original one) was 1 or 2 stalls away from full when we got there. As a side note, I could not figure out where to get the code to get in. Coffee was delish.

FYI, we stopped at Firebaugh (we were hungry), then Kettleman (needed coffee), and then Bakersfield. While we were driving Saturday afternoon, I noticed a couple full SCs on the screen but did not really pay attention. On the way back, we had plenty of available stalls up 395.
The access code is located on your screen of your Tesla. Tap the supercharger icon and then it’ll show the available stalls along with the access code.

Reactions: Big Earl
Funny... earlier in Monterey, there was a wait time at Del Monte Center. (Old school slow chargers). But the other two locations, Sand City, and Marina had less than half the stalls occupied - and both (whithin 8 miles of the Del Monte sight) are v3 chargers. If you're coming into or out of the peninsula from the North, you will pass both of them.
I used the Sand City site this fall and was shocked to see how fast the V3 charged our M3 LR. We went to the bathroom and ordered a latte at Starbucks and had just a few swallows before the car was at 80%. And seeing 1000 mph on the charging screen was very cool.