Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came back from a pre-Thanksgiving trip from the Bay Area down to Solvang and back, on the US-101 corridor (southbound on Sunday, northbound on Tuesday). No waits at any Superchargers we stopped at. A couple of locations filled up after we got there (Arroyo Grande and Buellton on Sunday afternoon), but as far as I could tell, nobody had to wait longer than a few minutes.

Bruce.
Ha! A few minutes on a busy interstate location! I waited 10-15 minutes at the Dublin SC this Sunday at 9 AM.

so did you look if the other superchargers were full?
I know the closest 2 were down to 1 or 2 spots, so by the time you drive over the crowds may have bet you there.

With so many Tesla in Northern California, the Superchargers get a workout. On any day It is not unusual to see 5 or 6 Teslas at a stoplight. The Model Y is the 5th largest selling car in the state of California, and the top-selling luxury compact SUV in a state full of compact SUVs.

Reactions: house9 and newjacka
wish there was someone scraping the API data to see % in use over time. anyone know of an api or site doing that?

The API only returns data on up to four Supercharger sites allegedly in the vicinity of a given vehicle. So one would need to aggregate this data over many vehicles to get a comprehensive picture (maybe not hard in California).

Bruce.

Bruce would know, he has written a cool app for just that purpose

I did a NorCal to NPW trip Sunday/Monday and there has been no traffic except at the Maxwell Rest Area there was already a Bolt charging there so I had to go around to the southbound direction and plug in, but a few minutes later a Kia pulled in looking to charge, they were apparently locals who charge on the freeway. I felt bad so when I noticed the Bolt had gone I took the 5 mile trip to get back to the northbound Rest Area to complete my charge.

I don't think I stopped at any Superchargers except Mt. Shasta as I was taking the route thru Bend, having already done I-5 and 101 on a previous CHAdeMO trip, what is with the rest room support at that charger, everyone has signs saying Go Away. And of course I also stopped at the Lynnwood, WA Supercharger, that is the charger near where I am staying. Looks like someone plowed into the chargers here so a bunch are outta order, that's a lot worse than just ICEing them, but perhaps it was just an accident. Seems like there is a line here every night right at 8pm when the discount rate starts, probably not T-Day related.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Araman0
would love for you to update us whenever you can, not only I-5 but 101 too
101 was pretty boring, if I remember. The V3 chargers were half full at most with some even 1/4 full only. Paso kind of got to maybe 1/2 - 3/4. There should be no problems on this route. Small V2, like Atascadero, was still full, though.

V2 vs V3 seemed to be the general theme overall for the holidays. I did check out the path to Vegas and that looked painful. All V2 in the middle and all full for quite a while. Baker eventually opened up first out of the 3 after a while since it's so big and undesirable, in terms of amenities.

One note is that, at least earlier in the day, Kettleman 1 was consistently more used than Kettleman 2 by far but I think eventually people realized that there was another option as Kettleman 1 was 100% full. I expect them to equalize more over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: newjacka
101 was pretty boring, if I remember. The V3 chargers were half full at most with some even 1/4 full only. Paso kind of got to maybe 1/2 - 3/4. There should be no problems on this route. Small V2, like Atascadero, was still full, though.

V2 vs V3 seemed to be the general theme overall for the holidays. I did check out the path to Vegas and that looked painful. All V2 in the middle and all full for quite a while. Baker eventually opened up first out of the 3 after a while since it's so big and undesirable, in terms of amenities.

One note is that, at least earlier in the day, Kettleman 1 was consistently more used than Kettleman 2 by far but I think eventually people realized that there was another option as Kettleman 1 was 100% full. I expect them to equalize more over time.
All good in Santa Barbara throughout the day.

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate
In short no. It's relative to where the car is, you don't get to pick and that's likely by design. I'm pretty sure there are multiple threads dedicated to this topic elsewhere on TMC.

Bruce.
So, abetterrouteplanner shows current in use data for SC's but I've seen it WAY out ahead of me, 100's of miles. Where are they getting the data of actual current use, and IF they are getting it couldn't the cache and store it for later analysis. ?

So, abetterrouteplanner shows current in use data for SC's but I've seen it WAY out ahead of me, 100's of miles. Where are they getting the data of actual current use, and IF they are getting it couldn't the cache and store it for later analysis. ?

This is getting slightly off-topic, but doesn't ABRP do API calls on your behalf, so it knows your car's position and speed? If that's true they can do exactly what you suggested...grab the nearby stall occupancy data as reported by all the cars in their fleet, and present some aggregation / analysis of this. So as long as there are other ABRP users along your path, this could totally work.

Bruce.

This is getting slightly off-topic, but doesn't ABRP do API calls on your behalf, so it knows your car's position and speed? If that's true they can do exactly what you suggested...grab the nearby stall occupancy data as reported by all the cars in their fleet, and present some aggregation / analysis of this. So as long as there are other ABRP users along your path, this could totally work.

Bruce.
I wonder if something like teslafi could snag this data and toss it into a DB for others to consume.

I wonder if something like teslafi could snag this data and toss it into a DB for others to consume.
@wk057 had developed something to scrape Supercharger data, and made it available to others. But then Tesla contacted him and asked him to stop. (i.e. Tesla doesn't want the data to be made publicly available to its critics/competitors.)