Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
David,

That sentiment is regrettably missing from a large segment of the population. My small samples from the past 24 months or so:
I find it fascinating how people's attitude can change 180 degree depending in what situation they are.
When in a car, they get mad at pedestrians who walk slowly across parking lots, but once they are parked, they walk long diagonals looking at their phone completely oblivious to cars trying to navigate through a parking lot. When they are waiting to get a stall, they are mad at people who waste time to charge more than needed, but as soon as they have a stall, they drag the slider to 100% and turn on Netflix. I think it's called being self centered LOL

I wish I had known. My average charging stops on I-5 are about 12 minutes.
if you want to avoid lines and waiting times as much as possible the cars have to charge faster. For example city charging needs to be faster because nobody wants to wait 25min if they don't roadtrip, especially since those superchargers always end up full no matter how many they add. At the end of the day the goal has always been to charge as fast as a gas car(around 5min?). Right now kia/porsha cars charge 7 min faster than tesla and in the future there will definitely be cars that charge 10 to 80 in 10min or faster, I just hope tesla will be one of those cars.

if you want to avoid lines and waiting times as much as possible the cars have to charge faster. For example city charging needs to be faster because nobody wants to wait 25min if they don't roadtrip, especially since those superchargers always end up full no matter how many they add. At the end of the day the goal has always been to charge as fast as a gas car(around 5min?). Right now kia/porsha cars charge 7 min faster than tesla and in the future there will definitely be cars that charge 10 to 80 in 10min or faster, I just hope tesla will be one of those cars.
Have you ever experienced a multi stop CCS roadtrip? You’d certainly understand that you’ll never see the car’s throughput on current mass deployed hardware.

Porsche is seeing it while testing the taycan battery revision and Macan on the west coast. And this is on their EA network. 😂

Please show me this data instead of just throwing out comparison numbers. How long is tesla 10-80 vs porsche? Also, the percentage numbers don't tell the whole story, it is about how much range you add. Theoretically you could do 10-80 at 150 kw in a car with a 40kwh battery in under 10 minutes but youd only get 100 or so miles on that 70%. Youd need 30 minutes to get 210 miles of range so pure time spent charging isn't a great measure.

Right now kia/porsha cars charge 7 min faster than tesla...
Right now, I can charge my RC car battery (from near 0 to 100) a lot faster than Kia/Porsche.

...and in the future there will definitely be cars that charge 10 to 80 in 10min or faster.
Theoretically, you can do that right now. Making it practical, cost effective, safe, etc. is the real challenge.

We came up I10 and I5 Thursday and Friday this week, things were pretty manageable even Thursday when it was POORING, and Friday starting at 06:00 from Tejon Ranch up the I5, traffic moving and only by 10 started to fill in.

Chargers at Tejon Ranch and Coalinga (my new northbound favorite compared to Kettleman) was 55 of 80x available at 08:30.

TODAY, Saturday, all chargers up and down the I5 seem to be pretty full. Kettleman 1 is 4/40 available, lower Kettleman is 22/55. I mean half the time I go to Kettleman the lower lot is ALL available.

Tejon 1 is 0/24 open, and even Tejon Outlets is 22/76 open. Many other sites along the I5 are showing only 2-5 of whatever OPEN/AVAILABLE. So clearly TODAY is the day ppl are making their travel day

• Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and wws
We came up I10 and I5 Thursday and Friday this week, things were pretty manageable even Thursday when it was POORING, and Friday starting at 06:00 from Tejon Ranch up the I5, traffic moving and only by 10 started to fill in.

Chargers at Tejon Ranch and Coalinga (my new northbound favorite compared to Kettleman) was 55 of 80x available at 08:30.

TODAY, Saturday, all chargers up and down the I5 seem to be pretty full. Kettleman 1 is 4/40 available, lower Kettleman is 22/55. I mean half the time I go to Kettleman the lower lot is ALL available.

Tejon 1 is 0/24 open, and even Tejon Outlets is 22/76 open. Many other sites along the I5 are showing only 2-5 of whatever OPEN/AVAILABLE. So clearly TODAY is the day ppl are making their travel day
Great report. Definitely a heavy day for travel. I suspect they bad weather in Socal on Thursday and Friday caused some to travel load today. But, it looks like the Superchargers are holding up well. Hopefully there will not be the long lines of the past, at least until they let non-Teslas charge ... grumble, grumble...

Last edited:
That’s not how a discussion/argument works. You present the dat to support your anrgument. Otherwise you would know it’s google and YouTube ARE your friend.
If you are going to make wildly unsubstantiated claims, it is your responsibility to provide the supporting evidence. Otherwise, you're just a troll.
if both of you are too lazy to simply type it out on google or youtube and find out the truth then that's your problem, continue to stay oblivious if you want.