Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

holiday update and xbox controller via bluetooth not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a Gaming in your Tesla for Dummies book. I have a Wii controller, should I try it?

Warning...last time I gamed was in an arcade, the machines had handles.

Wii is unlikely to work. X box does when plugged in

The best thing about the holiday update so far (Besides remote fart) is the ability to use a wireless controller and not have to plug into the glovebox, scramble around for the black thumb drive in the dark, and it is always dark in this car.

Release Notes and manual recommend PS4 or 5 controller. Tesla vid shows the software engineers using PS 5. I picked one (PS 5) up for like 50 bucks from Walmart.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
The 4 way switch on the left.

Update...I was able to get it to work, and fix some other problems, by using the option to use V11 for "older PC's"

Really don't think that the holiday update is up to speed on Steam games.

Not hopeful it will be fixed anytime soon.

Also, confirmed I have to reboot after the game to prevent massive vampire drain.
The D pad? Never had an issue with that. And what do you mean by "using the option to use V11 for 'older PC's'?"

So far, I don't notice any excessive vampire drain.

Sorry, new to Steam, and the menus are unfamiliar.

Option pulldown is right next to the start button on Witcher, IIRC.

I don't own Witcher and your first reply to me made no mention of Witcher. I guess that's why I was confused. Many other Steam Deck Verified games work fine for me with the PS5 Dualsense controllers over Bluetooth. Good luck with Witcher.

I got an older XBox controller (third generation 2016) to connect. It appeared in the list of available bluetooth devices right away. However I could not get it to work with the latest controller (fourth generation 2020) which came with my Series X.

I got an older XBox controller (third generation 2016) to connect. It appeared in the list of available bluetooth devices right away. However I could not get it to work with the latest controller (fourth generation 2020) which came with my Series X.
All I can add is holiday update release notes and the recently released Tesla YT vid on gaming recommend PS5 controllers.

I have a recent build Xbox controller that works, but it is wired.

All I can add is holiday update release notes and the recently released Tesla YT vid on gaming recommend PS5 controllers.

I have a recent build Xbox controller that works, but it is wired.
Only the 3rd and 4th gen Xbox controllers support bluetooth. However it does not appear to work with the latter. When adding a controller it does say something about having a controller that supports bluetooth classic. I am looking into this to see if there is anyway to change the bluetooth mode on the latest Xbox controller.

Just wanted to chime in.
I tested XBOX One controller (Amazon Link) the one with Bluetooth, but without the share button (not the latest one).
Tesla Model S 2021 with Ryzen but 8GB RAM. Version: 2022.33.30.10
Here's what happened on my end:
  1. I paired the controller in the Bluetooth section of the car.
  2. Open arcade and when I did this, the controller was not recognized.
  3. Went back to the Bluetooth settings, hit disconnect (not forget).
  4. Switch back to arcade on Cat Quest (or any game requires controller), the launch button was greyed out, but there's a button next to it to setup Bluetooth controller.
  5. This will launch you back to the Bluetooth menu and when I reconnect the controller, it worked.
  6. I proceed to launch Cat Quest and able to move the player around with the XBOX One controller wirelessly without any dongle whatsoever.
I have yet to try it again for the second time or add a second controller to make sure it's not a fluke.
Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that XBOX Bluetooth controller did work for the holiday 2022 update.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I tried using XBOX Series Controller (Generation4) the one with USB-C and Share button in the middle, it couldn't be detected at all by the ModelS. Its firmware version is 5.15.3168.0.

One additional note, I accidentally upgraded the firmware on one of my XBOX One (Gen3) controller the one with Bluetooth and Micro-USB to Firmware version 5.15.3168.0 and it no longer able to be detected in the Model S. This explains why some people with Gen3 Controller are unable to connect to their Tesla even with the 2022 holiday update.

I reverted it back to its original firmware 3.1.1221.0 and it's able to be detected again by the Model S.

To revert (only works on Gen3) controller:
  1. Make sure you have Xbox Accessories App installed from Windows 10/11 stores.
  2. Plug your controller via USB to your PC.
  3. Paste this command in Explorer and hit enter:
  4. xboxaccessories:\\firmwareupdate?legacyDowngrade=true
  5. It will launch the revert firmware mode (make sure you only connect one Controller and no other wireless controller connected to that PC).
Hope this helps as I've not seen any info out there regarding this matter.