Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home-charge tariffs (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting months for my smart meter from Octopus. To the point I might switch. Anybody know if ovo or others will sort the smart meter out more quickly?
My ovo meter was booked for installation about a week after I moved over (one week after that) but I imagine it will depend on your area.
Also if you use my referral code deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting months for my smart meter from Octopus. To the point I might switch. Anybody know if ovo or others will sort the smart meter out more quickly?
If you want a SMETS2 meter then a different provider may possibly be a little quicker as they may have a different provider for the meters. If you aren't too concerned about getting a SMETS2 and just want to get on to the Go tariff then it may be worth contacting Octopus and asking if you can have a SMETS1 meter

Octopus in my region (opposite end of Herts to you :) ) use AES for smart meter installations. They tried to fit a SMETS2 meter for me but but couldn't get it to connect to the Octopus back-end. During the same appointment they swapped it out for a SMETS1. That also had issues for a few weeks (during which I understand I won't be charged retrospectively for electricity consumed!). But since my gas smart meter was installed and another visit to make adjustments everything is now working well.

I have been provided with a 'Glow stick' USB-powered device that works with a smartphone app to act as the portable monitor (even works away from the house) which I opted for instead of the more conventional portable monitor.

I find that Octopus work well if you keep talking to them (by talking, I mean email). You may find you get an appointment to get a meter fitted more quickly this way.

Did you press the "sign me up to a smart meter" button on there website?

I did ages ago (Twice) nothing then someone posted a link the other day to this button but it looked different. Pressed it, email to confirm i did, 24hrs later i got a phone call and booked in (Oct time for install)!

Not sure if you had the same as me? Try the button again and you should get an email to confim you want a smart meter

What does the glow stick plug into?

[edit]just seen, power only. looks interesting along with their other CAD options.
It uses USB for power and is supplied with a mains USB power supply. I had to position it quite close to my smartmeter. It's connected to the meter and your WiFi router wirelessly. The accompanying Bright app is accessible regardless of your location; you just need Internet access. Here is a grab of our consumption today:
Screenshot_20190923_183709_uk.co.hildebrand.brightionic.jpg

Reactions: Roy W.
In principle I would love to use an EV tariff - it should make sense. However, before you can really estimate the worth of switching to an EV tariff, you need to know how many KwH you will consume in the 4 hour period. I imagine very little apart from the car charge as it is clearly hazardous to use washer/tumble dryer/ dishwasher during those hours. If the EV used 7.4 Kw to charge that is presumably a maximum of 53 KwH per week which is about £5.00 saving. My problem is the Go tariff is 1p per KwH more expensive than my normal use and the cheapest Go gas tariff is about 25% more expensive than my current supplier.
EDF has a more sensible tariff as you consume many more units during the longer off peak periods, but their tariffs are too expensive at the base level.
I have concluded that although I had expected to change to a cheaper regime, I cannot!

It uses USB for power and is supplied with a mains USB power supply. I had to position it quite close to my smartmeter. It's connected to the meter and your WiFi router wirelessly. The accompanying Bright app is accessible regardless of your location; you just need Internet access. Here is a grab of our consumption today:

Thanks. Does it do gas too? That, along with true export, are the missing parts of my jigsaw

I'm being lazy and not reading the specs, but can you get raw data from it?

Did they offer the version with the display?

[edit]just scrolled down and spotted gas tab.

In principle I would love to use an EV tariff - it should make sense. However, before you can really estimate the worth of switching to an EV tariff, you need to know how many KwH you will consume in the 4 hour period. I imagine very little apart from the car charge as it is clearly hazardous to use washer/tumble dryer/ dishwasher during those hours. If the EV used 7.4 Kw to charge that is presumably a maximum of 53 KwH per week which is about £5.00 saving. My problem is the Go tariff is 1p per KwH more expensive than my normal use and the cheapest Go gas tariff is about 25% more expensive than my current supplier.
EDF has a more sensible tariff as you consume many more units during the longer off peak periods, but their tariffs are too expensive at the base level.
I have concluded that although I had expected to change to a cheaper regime, I cannot!
Isn't it more like 207KwH a week at 5p? EDF won't change my meter for me so likely going Octopus.

...as it is clearly hazardous to use washer/tumble dryer/ dishwasher during those hours.
It’s no more hazardous using these devices at night than during the day! They are no more likely to burst into flames at night. Do you sit in the kitchen watching them during the day?

The important things are to make sure your appliances are well-maintained and not ancient, and that you have a good fire alert system. We have linked Nest smoke/CO alarms, so if any one is triggered all of them go off.

Did you press the "sign me up to a smart meter" button on there website?

I did ages ago (Twice) nothing then someone posted a link the other day to this button but it looked different. Pressed it, email to confirm i did, 24hrs later i got a phone call and booked in (Oct time for install)!

Not sure if you had the same as me? Try the button again and you should get an email to confim you want a smart meter

I did it over email. Just emailed again to complain and was told they'd put me in touch with an engineer

Thanks. Does it do gas too? That, along with true export, are the missing parts of my jigsaw

I'm being lazy and not reading the specs, but can you get raw data from it?

Did they offer the version with the display?

[edit]just scrolled down and spotted gas tab.

Yes, electric and gas and you can toggle kWh/cost - and the off-peak electricity is factored in.

I can't see any way of exporting the data though.

Octopus tell me they will make the data available via their site (in your account) in the future.

There is a live consumption mode as well.

Yes I had the option of a basic hand-held monitor but the app-based system is much better in my view.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
It’s no more hazardous using these devices at night than during the day! They are no more likely to burst into flames at night. Do you sit in the kitchen watching them during the day?

The important things are to make sure your appliances are well-maintained and not ancient, and that you have a good fire alert system. We have linked Nest smoke/CO alarms, so if any one is triggered all of them go off.

Try telling that to my wife!

• Funny