Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger grant now £350 for all installs from 1st April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my PodPoint late Feb, they can't install until 17/04 - I know the likely answer but should I really pay £150 more when the delays have been all on PodPoint's side? I dont have any complexities like looped supply, simple install on the same exterior wall as my meter & RCD box about 3m distance in total. Only thing causing delay is PodPoint's ability to find installers...

Any idea if this is the whole of the UK, or what it is in Scotland.

They seem to be going backwards, rather than forwards, in getting people to switch to EV.

Looks like they have set aside a large amount of money to improve infrastructure, while trying to reduce the need for it going forward.

It looks like i'd need to provide proof but of course the Tesla isn't being ordered until July, however my current cars order form which was for an Ioniq back in 2017 doesn't mention anything about being a plugin or electric (or hybrid for that matter) car so I wonder if they would query if I used that order form.

I ordered my PodPoint late Feb, they can't install until 17/04 - I know the likely answer but should I really pay £150 more when the delays have been all on PodPoint's side? I dont have any complexities like looped supply, simple install on the same exterior wall as my meter & RCD box about 3m distance in total. Only thing causing delay is PodPoint's ability to find installers...

Had the car 6 months but only just ordered the charger a few weeks ago and the wait is unto 8 weeks so I've been told to pay the difference as they can't earlier either, I would think any decent company would honour the price if it was down to their fault but my suspicion is nobody will do this because they are too busy and know its going to be a one off charge

Any idea if this is the whole of the UK, or what it is in Scotland.

They seem to be going backwards, rather than forwards, in getting people to switch to EV.

Looks like they have set aside a large amount of money to improve infrastructure, while trying to reduce the need for it going forward.

Scotland will be £300 + £300 so still better off than the previous £500 for people in the rest of the UK. Of course this may change in the future, depending on the magic money tree situation.

Reactions: j1mgg
Which could have been increased with a fuel duty increase, instead of freezing it again

Sure, could have been. But EVs are falling in price (my replacement MS was £20K cheaper 2.5 years later .. I had a lot more than £3K PIG back then), and the "government support" with it, which is normal when government wants to help early adopters and get manufacturers up to "economies of scale" - help more people, but with a bit less, at each reduction.

I'm annoyed about the £50K limit, as that rules out my own category of 300 mile range EVs and high mileage drivers, and those are the people who are disproportionately polluting. Of course low-mileage drivers also buy £high cars ...

Getting the nation to 100% EV is a different objective. Depends a bit on governments actual commitment (being lobbied incessantly by Big Oil / ICE that there isn't a problem / they are working on it / pleas to "stop helping everyone else" / and the arm-twist "not sure we should continue to provide £mega party fund donations" ...) <sigh>

Norway seem to have it fully sorted - no VAT on EVs (approx 50% new cars there are EV). But they stuffed all their North Sea Oil windfall tax income into sovereign wealth fund, whereas we ... didn't.

The only incentive our Government seems to be doing in that direction is company cars - 100% FYA and 0% BiK. I have no idea why they are favouring that route, rather than just handing a couple of £grand to any Joe Public that wants to buy an EV (I think Joe Public early adopters are far more likely to be on-side with EV than Average Car Company Guy, but ...). Perhaps there is some method there? (might be that the tax cycles round in practice and government money goes further? e.g. leaving some in Company's hands generates more growth / income and thus more tax - 2Birds/1Stone maybe?)

I think it it pants that green fuel duty element is still-not-increased year after year. Tax on Carbon / Polluter would force their hand. But taxing transport has the knock-on of jacking up the price of everything ... Come on Elon, get that Semi out there. I've thought about buying one ... "some" even maybe ... (I have no connection with haulage) because it will knock spots off normal haulage rates and it would be easy to run 24/7 until everyone has EV-lorry. Until EV-lorry available I'm not sure it helps to penalise Hauliers

But I would like GB-Ltd to be at the forefront of EV-takeup.

Thank god I got my zappi fit yesterday, so far so good! Now to figure out how to schedule without the car going to sleep!
I have a Zappi too. I’ve not yet sorted how to do this from the Zappi and I think there is still some Tesla issue to be addressed.
In the meantime though, I plug in with the Zappi on fast mode and schedule the start charge time in the car. I set the limit to 80% and I’m monitoring how long it’s charging for from different start charge levels. So far that is working well.
The Zappi is a lovely piece of kit and works so well with the PV system. App so simple too.