Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon All,

I have a quick (hopefully easy) question. I bought a Nissan leaf off-lease because I was WAY too excited to not go EV until I get my Model 3. I currently charge 95% @ work for free but am looking into getting something like a Clipper Creek L2 charger for the house. I was telling myself that there has to be an adapter that could eventually charge the Tesla too (to justify the cost of putting this box in) and so far in my research nothing has come up.

Is there anything out there that can charge my leaf now and then later charge my model 3 with some kind of adapter? Since I plan on selling the leaf later I don't really need to invest heavily in the infrastructure since my work is my primary source of charge.

However, if I can get something to work for both EV's I'd even consider keeping the leaf till it's scrap.

Yeah, the only kicker being that the tesla will go directly into the 15-50 right? Which would make buying a $500 box for the leaf seem silly because I generally get by w/ my 110v outlet until I top off @ work.

Yeah, the only kicker being that the tesla will go directly into the 15-50 right? Which would make buying a $500 box for the leaf seem silly because I generally get by w/ my 110v outlet until I top off @ work.

Since you do almost all charging at work, I'd probably just get by w/ 110v until the Model 3 comes out. We don't know for sure what current(s) it will charge at, or what new HPWC they will have by then. Who knows, they may even have some kind of wireless charging or automatic snake connector by then.

I just bought a 2013 Leaf but decided to get a 14-50 outlet installed and bought a Juicebox 40A since I do all my charging at home and my Leaf can handle 6.6kW charging. Starting to regret that decision a little bit, since I'll probably get a Tesla HPWC when I get my Model 3 and then end up having to sell the Juicebox and have an electrician wire in the HPWC. I know I could use the Juicebox for the Tesla and that's part of the reason I got a 40A EVSE when the Leaf can only handle 27A or so, just not sure I'll want to do that.

At least I'll get the EVSE tax credit for this year for my installation. I know some people have been getting 14-50 outlets installed and stuff even before they get an electric car, since they may not have enough tax liability to get the EVSE credit and the tax credit for the car in the same tax year. Also, they've been renewing the EVSE tax credit every year, but may not keep doing so.

Afternoon All,

I have a quick (hopefully easy) question. I bought a Nissan leaf off-lease because I was WAY too excited to not go EV until I get my Model 3. I currently charge 95% @ work for free but am looking into getting something like a Clipper Creek L2 charger for the house. I was telling myself that there has to be an adapter that could eventually charge the Tesla too (to justify the cost of putting this box in) and so far in my research nothing has come up.

Is there anything out there that can charge my leaf now and then later charge my model 3 with some kind of adapter? Since I plan on selling the leaf later I don't really need to invest heavily in the infrastructure since my work is my primary source of charge.

However, if I can get something to work for both EV's I'd even consider keeping the leaf till it's scrap.
The Model S and I presume the Model X have a J1772 plug adapter included. I use mine every day with a Leviton EVSE at home.

The Model S and I presume the Model X have a J1772 plug adapter included. I use mine every day with a Leviton EVSE at home.

This is interesting. I looked at the Tesla site for that adapter and didn't see one "for sale". I did find the CHAdeMO adapter but that's not what I'm getting at. So you're saying there's something you can slip over the top of a normal (say Nissan Leaf) EVSE charge port that will fit your Model S?

This is interesting. I looked at the Tesla site for that adapter and didn't see one "for sale". I did find the CHAdeMO adapter but that's not what I'm getting at. So you're saying there's something you can slip over the top of a normal (say Nissan Leaf) EVSE charge port that will fit your Model S?
Yes, it's the J1772 adapter. It comes with every car. It allows an S or X to charge from the industry-standard J1772 that every other company uses.

Tesla — SAE J1772

If you want to install a J1772 EVSE now, it will charge your Leaf directly (without an an adapter). When you get your 3, use the supplied adapter to use it to charge your 3. You'll probably want to get a second adapter, so you can leave one at home on the charger and leave one in the car (you wouldn't want to leave the adapter at home and not have it if you wanted to charge at work.