Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging - electric tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d agree, but if you take out the 20-odd pence peak evening rate, the rest of the day probably averages out near 8p a kWh. I guess it makes sense if you use a lot of power during the day, except at peak rate. We don’t. The car charging and other off-peak usage is over 70% of our bill.

Yes but the 'Octopus referral' alarms that you have set up must eat into that!

image.png

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and drewpost
I guess it makes sense if you use a lot of power during the day, except at peak rate

I have Powerwall, so could avoid using any juice at that peak time :)

4 hours overnight is not long enough for me to charge car, so I've not considered "Go" ... but maybe, overall, and with a bit of Powerwall juggling I'd be better off. Whether I can be bothered to put the effort in is probably the biggest challenge! when I also have to juggle PV generation and how likely I think a power cut is and how much reserve I want to hold for that

Reactions: Roy W.
There's no power factor monitoring on Octopus Go but it does require a smart meter of course, so that your timed usage can be charged appropriately.
There isn't supposed to be power factor monitoring on my EDF Smart Meter either, as far as I know - nobody at EDF even knows what it is! However, the Landis+Gyr E4760 Smart Meter installed IS CAPABLE of recording reactive energy, as well as export, real and reactive energy (4 quadrant recording if I understand the terminology correctly) . My meter does not display reactive energy separately. What its happening appears to be that some proportion of reactive energy is being added to the real energy value. The tests I've carried out with reactive loads show this quite clearly and the back of the envelope maths confirms it. This would not be apparent during normal home consumption. It is only because I have a Powerwall which supplies (nearly) ALL the home demand during peak rate time that this rogue metering is obvious.... I'm not happy!

There is another thread where I've gone into more detail and this. If I can't get anywhere with EDF and, if necessary the Ombudsman, I'm considering Octopus Go, it's just that it only gives 4 hours night rate instead of the 7 hours I have a t present. It would probably suffice. My Model S normally charges for 3-4 hours. However, the Powerwall is more likely to run out. And I'll have to get EDF to remove their meter first.

There isn't supposed to be power factor monitoring on my EDF Smart Meter either, as far as I know - nobody at EDF even knows what it is! However, the Landis+Gyr E4760 Smart Meter installed IS CAPABLE of recording reactive energy, as well as export, real and reactive energy (4 quadrant recording if I understand the terminology correctly) . My meter does not display reactive energy separately. What its happening appears to be that some proportion of reactive energy is being added to the real energy value. The tests I've carried out with reactive loads show this quite clearly and the back of the envelope maths confirms it. This would not be apparent during normal home consumption. It is only because I have a Powerwall which supplies (nearly) ALL the home demand during peak rate time that this rogue metering is obvious.... I'm not happy!

There is another thread where I've gone into more detail and this. If I can't get anywhere with EDF and, if necessary the Ombudsman, I'm considering Octopus Go, it's just that it only gives 4 hours night rate instead of the 7 hours I have a t present. It would probably suffice. My Model S normally charges for 3-4 hours. However, the Powerwall is more likely to run out. And I'll have to get EDF to remove their meter first.
As you’ve probably read there is also the trial version of GO that will give you five hours off-peak. That’s enough to add 50% to my Model 3 LR AWD.