Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have gone for the Tesla charger had it not been for the grants.
In the end I got the Zappi. It’s perfectly fine and charges the car as expected. It comes with the myenergi hub which is a piece of rubbish. It looks and feels cheap and can’t hold a connection to the charger despite being on the other side of the wall from it. I’ve given up trying to pair them as the charger doesn’t need it anyway unless your also hooking up to solar and batteries.

I pick up my Model 3 this coming week.... my intended charging at home (not yet organised) is to have a 32 Amp Commando socket installed. I have already purchased the 32 Amp 'tail' to fit into the Tesla charger that comes with the car.

I assume this will be fine for charging overnight?

Until an electrician fits this, I can 'granny' charge it - and I live 10 minutes from a supercharger.

I pick up my Model 3 this coming week.... my intended charging at home (not yet organised) is to have a 32 Amp Commando socket installed. I have already purchased the 32 Amp 'tail' to fit into the Tesla charger that comes with the car.

Until an electrician fits this, I can 'granny' charge it - and I live 10 minutes from a supercharger.

You're golden :)

Shouldn't be a problem as long as (1) you use a competent sparks (2) you make sure he knows that the socket will be used to draw a sustained current of 32A for several hours at a time, and (3) he fits the correct type of breaker in the consumer unit that supplies the socket bearing in mind that it will be used for EV charging. An then enjoy. We've had our M3 for over a year and love it. Almost all our charging has been done on our home charger using Octopus Go

But why? If you can get the OLEV grant it'll cost more or less the same to get a dedicated charger then you can keep your Tesla charger in the boot so you can use it when you are out and about.

Your sparky will tell you that if you are using the Commando to charge the car it'll need all the same safety gear (EV rated RCD, earth rod etc) as an EV charger which will cost at least £300.

Reactions: ediflyer and pow216
But why? If you can get the OLEV grant it'll cost more or less the same to get a dedicated charger then you can keep your Tesla charger in the boot so you can use it when you are out and about.

Your sparky will tell you that if you are using the Commando to charge the car it'll need all the same safety gear (EV rated RCD, earth rod etc) as an EV charger which will cost at least £300.

I am between houses and renting.... so I don't want a dedicated unit. A socket is fine. I also understand that the electrician I have to use does not the 'ticket/approval' (or whatever it's called) for the grant. I'm happy with a commando socket for all these reasons - plus I am a low mileage driver these days with other cars too. :)

I am between houses and renting.... so I don't want a dedicated unit. A socket is fine. I also understand that the electrician I have to use does not the 'ticket/approval' (or whatever it's called) for the grant. I'm happy with a commando socket for all these reasons - plus I am a low mileage driver these days with other cars too. :)

The point is that any outlet installed for charging an EV, of any type at all, needs to comply with the regs, and that means that it MUST have DC tolerant RCD protection (normal household RCDs on their own won't do, they are not DC tolerant), it MUST have some form of open PEN protection if the house has a TN-C-S/PME earthing system and it MUST have suitable over current protection for the supply cable to the outlet. It's also normally notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regulations, in England and Wales.

In most cases, it's barely any cheaper to get something like a Commando outlet installed than it is to get a simple, no frills, charge point installed, as even a cheap charge point can have the required open PEN and DC tolerant RCD protection built-in, making it neat, safe and easy to use, with no wear and tear on the UMC that comes with the car. If you're renting, then there's also the possibility that you could take the charge point with you when you move - it's less than half an hours work to disconnect the supply cable, make it safe and remove the charge point.

Bear in mind that a failure to comply with Building Regulations (if applicable where you are) carries a pretty hefty penalty. The regs are framed in the way they are because there are higher electric shock risks associated with connecting mains power to a large conductive object, like a car.

Please can we all drop the disparaging "granny" reference?

It doesn't belong in the discussion threads of a modern auto thread and it patronising and sexist.

Simon

Moderator comment.
A number of posts, including posts quoting them, have been removed containing words that cause offense. Please do not use words of this nature in posts, or when quoting posts.
A post containing a term that a member has found objectionable has currently not been removed as no individual word of the post is individually offensive and the term in question is a widely used description used in mainstream quality motor journalism. The term is of unknown origin and there are a number of assumptions as to its true interpretation.

The post in question will be notified to the administration staff for them to have a final say on the matter.

Reactions: twlr and ACarneiro
There are hundreds of posts on this very forum that use the recognised term 'granny cable' and 'granny charge'. Moderator comment - removed sentence to keep things civil.

Last edited by a moderator: