Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Delivery scheduled for tomorrow - a little weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Well the moment is finally here, my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow between 12-2pm. I thought I'd be picking it up from the service center since i'm just 15 minutes away. But I was told today that this is a home delivery and the driver will call before he gets there.

Additionally, I was able to confirm that this is a Tesla employee (I've heard stories of 3rd parties delivering the cars)...but here's where it gets a little weird.

The employee is not bringing the car on a flatbed but will be driving the car to my house, and uber back when he's done. Has anyone else taken delivery like this? It's a little weird letting someone else put the first few miles on my new ride, but I can live with that I suppose - but it feel strange.

I'm going to print up a Model 3 checklist to go over so I don't miss anything (if anyone has a favorite please let me know) - anything else I need to be aware of for this home delivery?

Reactions: jbcarioca
Yes, the home deliveries were being done like this end of last quarter. Likely there just isn’t enough room to have all the cars needing delivery in the lot and add buyers and their families and their cars they use to get there to the crowded scene. Probably makes for a better experience for many. A number of people on here have said they loved skipping the whole store pickup scene.

The mileage on your MVPA will say the standard 50. Gives them room to test drive and move in the lots or showroom if a demo.

Just walk around the car carefully to inspect. Check the inside as well. If you see something minor you want fixed ask about putting it on a due bill for later. We had our delivery at a center and still made our own notes and took our own photos but our DS emailed his list and photos to our local SvC. Ask how they are handling. Some delivery people are well versed in the car and can answer a lot of questions, others not. People here should be able to answer most of your questions or how to if need be.

Hope everything goes well and you love driving your new car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big-T
It is a bit weird because you could just meet the same employee at the delivery center (or wherever the car is currently stored) and pick it up, which would save time for the employee and reduce the risk of damage along the way. It's probably not the most efficient way to do things, but it is a nice service. It's also weird because they were delivering more cars last quarter and seemed to make it work.... did they close down some delivery centers?

Just got our new SR+ dropped off the same way. The Tesla employe drove it over we went over the car then wrote her a check. She then ordered an Uber and went to deliver the next car. It was really a good experience!
Hint: they activated the app before she got to our house and we could she exactly what she was doing on my phone

It’s a little weird, but honestly the likelihood of something bad happening during loading and unloading on a flatbed is far higher than someone just driving the car a few miles. I wouldn’t worry about it - especially since you know what to look for it when it gets there.

Just got our new SR+ dropped off the same way. The Tesla employe drove it over we went over the car then wrote her a check. She then ordered an Uber and went to deliver the next car. It was really a good experience!
Hint: they activated the app before she got to our house and we could she exactly what she was doing on my phone

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ok that makes me feel better. I've emailed the service center and asked if the car could be relatively fully charged, washed/detailed and comes with the Monroney sticker still with the car. I'll also keep an eye on my app and see if it gets activated soon :)

They tried to do a home delivery for me last week and I refused. It is more convenient to do home delivery but I wanted to see the car at the delivery center and address any issues with it prior to it being at my home. Of course I could have still rejected it if there were problems with it but it just felt wrong to have it show up at my house before I got to see and inspect it. As it turned out there were some minor issue with the door trim that needed to be fixed and they were able to fix them at the service center within ten minutes. Had I done home delivery I would have been required to make an appointment, which would take at least a month, and then go through the hassle of dropping off the car, getting a loaner, and then picking up the car when it was ready. So doing the delivery at the service center saved me a full day of hassle.

Reactions: Gpa9504
The employee is not bringing the car on a flatbed but will be driving the car to my house, and uber back when he's done. Has anyone else taken delivery like this? It's a little weird letting someone else put the first few miles on my new ride, but I can live with that I suppose - but it feel strange.

It's no more miles than you'd put on the car driving it from the delivery center yourself -- but I understand it's a little different because it wasn't you driving them. I felt the same way taking delivery of a Chevy Volt 2.5 years ago, knowing it was a dealer trade, which was driven from one dealership to another. I forgot about that pretty quickly, though.

My Model 3 was just delivered to me in the same way. I was originally told it would be brought on a truck, and mention was made of an 18-wheeler. I'm not sure how well that would have worked, since I live on a moderately busy street with two lanes of traffic and one parking lane, so I'm not sure there'd have been room to park an 18-wheeler and unload the truck in the parking lane, and they definitely couldn't have backed an 18-wheeler into my driveway! They did ask if it was OK for a Tesla employee to drive the car to my house, and I gave permission. It arrived with 45 miles on the odometer. The minimum drive distance is 29.7 miles, according to Google Maps, although it prefers a 34.3-mile route. Either way, the difference means that the woman who delivered my car wasn't out joy-riding it for hours. One very minor advantage to this delivery method is that Autopilot may be able to calibrate itself before you get it. If so, it'll be available on your first drive, if you bought that option.

It is a bit weird because you could just meet the same employee at the delivery center (or wherever the car is currently stored) and pick it up, which would save time for the employee and reduce the risk of damage along the way. It's probably not the most efficient way to do things, but it is a nice service.

In some areas that would create complications. For deliveries in Rhode Island, for instance, the car is delivered without tags; the owner must go to the DMV to get them after delivery. This is a nuisance, of course; but it means that it'd be impossible to get the car at the delivery center unless you had a flatbed truck on which to transport it, since you wouldn't have tags. In fairness, this doesn't seem to be the case most places. I guess we're just "special" here in Rhode Island.

so i guess they're working Sundays now for the Q1 push? I wonder if a deposit by tomorrow counts or actual delivery for their #s??

The woman who delivered my car commented that she expected things to calm down at the Tesla store in Dedham, MA starting tomorrow, since deliveries in Massachusetts require that the dealer get tags for the car, but the Massachusetts DMV is closed on Sundays. Again, though, I'm sure these details vary greatly from one state to another. (OTOH, that raises the question of why they didn't push my delivery until tomorrow. They don't deal with the Rhode Island DMV, so having as many employees as possible on Saturday handling Massachusetts deliveries makes sense, leaving Rhode Island deliveries to Sunday when it doesn't make any difference.)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ok that makes me feel better. I've emailed the service center and asked if the car could be relatively fully charged, washed/detailed and comes with the Monroney sticker still with the car. I'll also keep an eye on my app and see if it gets activated soon :)

Our car was also driven from the factory delivery center to our house by a Tesla employee late last year. We live about 20 miles from the factory. Everything went well. Hopefully yours will too. Good luck.

My Tesla app showed the car as soon as the guy called me and said he was getting ready to leave. I tracked him the entire way and noticed he was speeding a bit and also missed a turn near our house. It was kind’a geeky fun to track the delivery like that.

When he called before leaving, I told him to be prepared to spend an hour or more with me because I had a thorough checklist to go over. The forums were filled with posts of paint and other fit and finish issues around the time we bought our car. Fortunately, I found no noticeable issue. And, yes the car had the Monroney sticker. The delivery guy was friendly, patient, and helpful. He also spent time going over several things about the car that I didn’t know about.

Best wishes. Enjoy the ride!

I was told I was going to get my car delivered the same way. When I called my local delivery center to confirm time, they told me to just come in instead - a day early! - So just make sure you keep in contact with your local place, it might change for you.

I suspect since deliveries during these quarterly pushes are made by Tesla employees sometimes from different parts of the country and areas of the company, they don’t always know who will be available to drive and maybe they don’t always end up with a driver for all originally planned home deliveries. I can see this being an interesting break from one’s normal job for a few days. Kind of like playing Santa except you leave the sleigh behind.

@Big-T too anxious to sleep tonight? ;)

I suspect since deliveries during these quarterly pushes are made by Tesla employees sometimes from different parts of the country and areas of the company, they don’t always know who will be available to drive and maybe they don’t always end up with a driver for all originally planned home deliveries. I can see this being an interesting break from one’s normal job for a few days. Kind of like playing Santa except you leave the sleigh behind.

@Big-T too anxious to sleep tonight? ;)

Haha, after what seems like forever of anxiety, hand wringing, nail biting, I'm actually a little zen about it today. But I did notice that as a day 1 reservation holder it's 3 years to the day that I stood in line to put down my deposit for the car. What an anniversary!

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset
Home deliveries are very common in California. Flatbed & delivery center is anomaly now.

Yes, the home deliveries were being done like this end of last quarter. Likely there just isn’t enough room to have all the cars needing delivery in the lot and add buyers and their families and their cars they use to get there to the crowded scene. Probably makes for a better experience for many. A number of people on here have said they loved skipping the whole store pickup scene.

The mileage on your MVPA will say the standard 50. Gives them room to test drive and move in the lots or showroom if a demo.

Just walk around the car carefully to inspect. Check the inside as well. If you see something minor you want fixed ask about putting it on a due bill for later. We had our delivery at a center and still made our own notes and took our own photos but our DS emailed his list and photos to our local SvC. Ask how they are handling. Some delivery people are well versed in the car and can answer a lot of questions, others not. People here should be able to answer most of your questions or how to if need be.

Hope everything goes well and you love driving your new car.
Hey guys,

Well the moment is finally here, my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow between 12-2pm. I thought I'd be picking it up from the service center since i'm just 15 minutes away. But I was told today that this is a home delivery and the driver will call before he gets there.

Additionally, I was able to confirm that this is a Tesla employee (I've heard stories of 3rd parties delivering the cars)...but here's where it gets a little weird.

I'm going to print up a Model 3 checklist to go over so I don't miss anything (if anyone has a favorite please let me know) - anything else I need to be aware of for this home delivery?
Hey guys,