Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Delivery scheduled for tomorrow - a little weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The employee is not bringing the car on a flatbed but will be driving the car to my house, and uber back when he's done. Has anyone else taken delivery like this? It's a little weird letting someone else put the first few miles on my new ride, but I can live with that I suppose - but it feel strange.

Yep. My Model 3 was driven to my house (I, too am only a few miles from two service centers and ~15 from delivery center). Drove the car up, we walked around it to make sure everything was ok, sat at my dining room table to sign a few things, and then they drove off in our trade in. It was painless.

I was told by the delivery person that they were trying to make all deliveries like this eventually, with the at-delivery-center pickup being deprecated.

I think it's fantastic. No distractions, no rush, etc. One-on-one attention.

Remember, you get a 1-week/1,000 mile return policy and, at least my delivery person told me I had 3-days to report "need to fix" items that I discovered. Although that was before the 1-week return policy, so that might be obsolete now.

Reactions: SMAlset
I also mentioned that I had a checklist I wanted to go over. The delivery guy said he only had about 15 minutes, but would be happy to spend that time going over the checklist instead of doing an introduction of the car if I wanted to.

I ended up just inspecting the car for cosmetic defects for about 8 minutes and then accepted the delivery. I assumed non-cosmetic issues would be covered by warranty, but haven't found any problems yet and it's been over a week. Love the car.

Reactions: SMAlset and Big-T
Had this exact scenario happen a few weeks ago. All worked out fine.

Hey guys,

Well the moment is finally here, my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow between 12-2pm. I thought I'd be picking it up from the service center since i'm just 15 minutes away. But I was told today that this is a home delivery and the driver will call before he gets there.

Additionally, I was able to confirm that this is a Tesla employee (I've heard stories of 3rd parties delivering the cars)...but here's where it gets a little weird.

The employee is not bringing the car on a flatbed but will be driving the car to my house, and uber back when he's done. Has anyone else taken delivery like this? It's a little weird letting someone else put the first few miles on my new ride, but I can live with that I suppose - but it feel strange.

I'm going to print up a Model 3 checklist to go over so I don't miss anything (if anyone has a favorite please let me know) - anything else I need to be aware of for this home delivery?

Reactions: Big-T and SMAlset
Mulroney sticker

I think you meant Monroney sticker, just FYI. BTW, the sticker that came with my Model 3 didn't match at all with my actual configuration (color was wrong, options wrong, etc.) except the VIN was a correct match. Weirdest thing I've seen in a dozen or more car purchases...

The Monroney sticker or window sticker is a label required in the United States to be displayed in all new automobiles and includes the listing of certain official information about the car. The window sticker was named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, United States Senator from Oklahoma.

Reactions: cwerdna
We had a MR delivered this way at the end of December. It was great — very relaxing way to take ownership.

The two employees who delivered it were very knowledgeable about the car — they were not normally on the delivery team but volunteered to help with the quarter end push.

I think you meant Monroney sticker, just FYI. BTW, the sticker that came with my Model 3 didn't match at all with my actual configuration (color was wrong, options wrong, etc.) except the VIN was a correct match. Weirdest thing I've seen in a dozen or more car purchases...

Mine's a little off, too. It makes no mention of FSD, which I ordered -- and I do see FSD-specific options in my menus, so I think I've got it. OTOH, the price listed is $35,000 + $9,500 for LR RWD configuration; but I ordered before the price increase, so that should be $35,000 + $8,000 for LR RWD. Also, I originally ordered an MR car, but got a free upgrade to LR at the old prices (although the sales rep put it together in a confusing mix of "free upgrades" unrelated to range I was being given). I suspect that they were trying to get a "sticker price" on the car close to what I actually paid, so they dropped the $5,000 FSD and added the $1,500 price increase that I didn't pay and omitted the $3,000 discount they did give me. That puts the price at $500 less than what I paid, but it's confusing at best. At least the sticker shows the correct hardware in my case. I don't see why they couldn't have just listed everything correctly, at either the current or previous price points. When buying any other brand, most people don't pay sticker price; most dealers haggle and lower the price, making the price on the sticker a fiction.

The Monroney sticker or window sticker is a label required in the United States to be displayed in all new automobiles and includes the listing of certain official information about the car. The window sticker was named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, United States Senator from Oklahoma.
Yep. Monroney is correct.

I've seen the Mulroney mistake numerous times, maybe due to Brian Mulroney | Biography & Facts, a former Prime Minister of Canada?

Wow! how did you get LR @ MR prices? I have an inventory MR reserved...

I placed my MR order on March 14, two days before Tesla pulled the MR description from its Web site, at a time when MR inventories were quite low nationwide. Lots of people were in the same boat, and judging by comments on this site, most of us were offered deals on upgrades to LR configurations. Mine was better than most -- most people seemed to be getting $1000 to $2000 off the LR price, so my $3000 off is an outlier. Typically, these deals were offered with the cover story of getting paint and/or wheel upgrades for free.

My understanding is that there are few or no MR models left in inventory, and Tesla doesn't intend to make any more MR models. If you're waiting on one, and especially if you haven't been given a VIN, I'd escalate the issue with Tesla, since it sounds like your order may have fallen through the cracks, as it were.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I placed my MR order on March 14, two days before Tesla pulled the MR description from its Web site, at a time when MR inventories were quite low nationwide. Lots of people were in the same boat, and judging by comments on this site, most of us were offered deals on upgrades to LR configurations. Mine was better than most -- most people seemed to be getting $1000 to $2000 off the LR price, so my $3000 off is an outlier. Typically, these deals were offered with the cover story of getting paint and/or wheel upgrades for free.

My understanding is that there are few or no MR models left in inventory, and Tesla doesn't intend to make any more MR models. If you're waiting on one, and especially if you haven't been given a VIN, I'd escalate the issue with Tesla, since it sounds like your order may have fallen through the cracks, as it were.

I have a VIN already, it's a base MR so no paint and/or wheel upgrades :( OOL?

I like how you said "the cover story of getting paint and/or wheel upgrades". To me those wouldn't be a deal since I don't want them, but the real story is they were discounting battery range.

Wonder if they would consider AP discount instead?

Did your delivery go okay? I had home delivery last weekend, with the car (LR AWD / MSM / White / 19 / AP Jan '19 build) having 2.4 miles on it when it left Bellevue and 21 after they drove it to our home. Absolutely perfect, as far as I could see. I think they are just swomped, and my delivery was by a kid (relatively) who is training to be a Tesla ranger up in Shorline I think he said. After he finishes his studies he has a position lined up at the location in Dallas. Really nice kid.

Thanks for asking, it went super smooth! The delivery center was very reponsive to my questions and assured me all their cars get detailed and charged to 90%, mine was no exception. The rep that came out mentioned he was scheduled thru 10pm that night with deliveries, very pleasant guy.

Knowing he had a busy day ahead of him I asked if I could submit a due bill within 3 days for anything I found, he was fine with that. He didn't have the little die-cast in his bag, but followed up later in the day saying I could pick one up at the service center.

Spent the afternoon giving neighbors and friends rides and test drives - the fart app seemed to be universally the best easter egg of the bunch yesterday, kids and adults alike :)

Oh, and in regards to the stereo, you can certainly tell the sub isn't present. The speakers overall have great range especially in the mids. I will say though it seems the sound is a little "front" heavy, it feels like maybe 60-70% if the sound is coming from speakers in front of you, 30-40% behind you. I adjusted the sound balance a little twards the rear it helped somewhat but I think the only way this would really equalize is IF (and I'm not sure they are) there are speakers behind the seats, not just in the rear doors, then they need to get activated via a software update.

No that you all haven't seen a Model 3 before, but if you'll indulge me I'll post my blue 19" SR+ below.
IMG_0043.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    854.5 KB · Views: 80

I picked up my Model 3 at the SC and they emailed me my copies of the paperwork. I realized that neither the car nor the email included the Monroney Sticker. They printed one out when I went back to the SC a few days later. I believe that they can email a copy if you ask.