Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Tesla Charger - Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just today when I plug in my home HPWC charger to Our Model 3P Sept 2018 delivery, we get the charge port lighting up Yellow and there seems to be nothing we can do to get it green. It only shows 16 amps. We also have a Model SP100D Feb 2017 delivery, and it does the same thing. But our Model X 100D May 2017 delivery, it charges at full and goes green Right away. Our Charger is the hpwc from Feb 2015 (We had earlier Teslas). 100amp breaker. The 3 and the X are single chargers and the S is a duel charger.

Superchargers work in all of them.

Is it the charge port on the 2 cars or do I need new charger ...

If I need a new charger .. then we can safely say they only last 3 or 4 years as we already replace one.

If we have to replace.. which one should we replace it with. Tesla or another brand.

Thanks for your input!

we get the charge port lighting up Yellow and there seems to be nothing we can do to get it green. It only shows 16 amps.
I've had that symptom a couple of times and it's been mentioned in a few threads. I guess I would describe the color as orange if you're searching for threads on it.
The exact thing is the car detecting that it thinks the plug is only partially inserted and not locked in, so it uses a safer very reduced charging rate of 16A. But for what causes it... I've had it from just being a little too lazy with how I push the plug in. So make sure you get it lined up and started in there, and finish it off with a pretty firm shove to make sure the notch is correctly over the locking pin, so it can grab hold of the plug properly.

But there have also been a few reports where the locking pin in the port isn't functioning right, so that's why it can't latch in properly, so that may be a charge port problem that can be fixed.

I installed a HPWC about a year ago to charge my 2016 S75D. Have never had problems with supercharger or UMC connection, but the HPWC has always required an extra from push to get it fully inserted into the charge port. I'd guess 90% of the time, I get the orange port light but once I give the connecter another sharp push, I hear the latch close and the light turns green. I'm guessing this connector is just slightly "tight" and needs a little extra effort to fully engage...

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you can see metal on one or more of the charge port pins of the X a piece of plastic may have broken off the one of them. It gets stuck in the HPWC handle. It still matches up nicely with the X, but prevents the handle from plugging in all the way on any other Tesla.

You can probably coax the piece out of the handle, after turning off the circuit breaker of course. Then everything should work. Tesla ended up replacing my X's charge port, but I don't think it's something you have to have done immediately. Or Tesla should be able to fix the port and HPWC if you don't want to do it yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
If you can see metal on one or more of the charge port pins of the X a piece of plastic may have broken off the one of them. It gets stuck in the HPWC handle. It still matches up nicely with the X, but prevents the handle from plugging in all the way on any other Tesla.

You can probably coax the piece out of the handle, after turning off the circuit breaker of course. Then everything should work. Tesla ended up replacing my X's charge port, but I don't think it's something you have to have done immediately. Or Tesla should be able to fix the port and HPWC if you don't want to do it yourself.

^——- This.

Sounds like your issue to a “T”. Plastic from the charge port on the X stuck in the Wall Connector handle. There are threads around here on that. Someone put some excellent pictures on reddit at one point. Stories of folks heating up a pin with a candle, shoving it into the stuck plastic, letting it cool, and then pulling it out of the handle that way.

As others excellently pointed out, the 16a issue happens when the connector can’t successfully “lock” into the car.