Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

homelink auto open/close, what is proper sequence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
homelink sync'd, auto open/close selected, but behavior is inconsistent?

what should be proper sequence?
starting from unlocking the car in garage...

I unlock car in garage, garage door down,
homelink shows green icon, sometimes
nothing happens, sometimes after +/- 5 sec
the auto begins to beep and door is commanded open?
when should auto be expected to work in this situation?

is there a reference of how proper operation should work?

I open the garage with the house button when I am about to ENTER my vehicle. This way as I reverse out, auto homelink closes it automatically. Opens automatically when I return. I close it after I exit with the house button.

Doing this it works 99% of the time.

Yup. This is how I use it as well. I think this is how it is designed because I never have a problem with it.

why would mine auto open when I awaken and enter the
vehicle in garage and put my foot on brake?

it only does this occasionally?

Never experienced that. I know using Summon will connect with homelink to open the garage for you. Only thing I can think is that its trying to auto close the garage (but its already closed, so opens it). I am not sure the car is aware if the door is open or closed, it just fires and forgets based on GPS... just a guess.

I just got my auto-Homelink working but have already seen it close while I was under it! I returned home and it auto-opened. Then I backed in but ended up having to pull forward twice to straighten myself out. I think it perhaps got confused whether I was leaving again even. I did hear a little ding but amongst all the other beeps I didn't think about it. Just as my windshield passed under the door I realized it was now closing while my hood was still under it! I managed to get all the way in before it hit the hood but never again...

My auto-close just doesn't work, but auto-open works 100%. I have to enter the garage by opening the door first with my physical garage opener, and then pull the car out. It tries to do the auto-close but it never dings and by the time it's ready to send the signal I'm too far away for it to communicate. I gave up after a few tries and now I just touch the home button to close it as I pull out...not too bad.

My auto-close just doesn't work, but auto-open works 100%. I have to enter the garage by opening the door first with my physical garage opener, and then pull the car out. It tries to do the auto-close but it never dings and by the time it's ready to send the signal I'm too far away for it to communicate. I gave up after a few tries and now I just touch the home button to close it as I pull out...not too bad.

you can set the distance from the door controller. If you are driving too far away, go into the homelink settings and decrease the feet.

Changed to manul operation since when I come home my door may already be opened by my wife or grandkids who visit frequently. Homelink just toggles the door to open/close. I set the distance to open the door at 100 feet so I can see the door. I believe newer doors are smarter but not mine.

Make sure you have latest firmware update if you have homelink issues. Now auto close works 90% of the time for me.
Also if you have CFL or LED lights, switch to low EMI LED bulbs from Genie. Available on Amazon.
If it still does not work after these, call Tesla. It really does work now. When I originally got the car in July auto close never worked.

I can’t get auto open or close to work. Do I have to hit “Program” again? It’s already working by pushing the button, just no auto open or close. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
1CA4981D-840C-4390-8C19-5C5A356E788F.jpeg

Do you have a LED bulb in your garage opener? They can cause interference.

I only have auto-open on and I have it set to 40ft but when I pull up to my garage I see the homelink icon pop up and it’s counting down and when it reaches 0 feet which is right at my garage door, it does nothing.

From the manual:

Resetting the Location of the HomeLink Device
If you experience situations in which yousom etimes drive up to your HomeLink device and it doesn't open, or the HomeLink icon on the touchscreen's status bar does not display the dropdown when you approach the device, you may need to reset the device's location. To do so, park as close as possible to the HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and display the HomeLink settings page by touching the HomeLink icon on the top of the touchscreen. Touch the name of the device you want to reset, then Reset Location.

I have always set the location as being right in front of the door.