Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink disappearing / GPS freezing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any update?

Just got a message that service is complete, and will be picking it up later. This is the description of what was done. I hope this grounding thing + soft coax connection is truly the issue and it is fixed for good. Considering that the system worked for about 2 weeks without issue and then suddenly froze and never reset suggests to me that the loose connection on the antenna may have been the issue.

IMG_0109.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Exscite
And here is the so-called fix to my 2023 MSP GPS problems..Replaced MCU... Will pic it up tomorrow...hope it's really fixed?

Fingers crossed that it works for you.

What is the build date of your M3P? Mine is August, and I picked it up at the Riverside location (it was an inventory car)- could be our cars were from the same batch?

Took my car out this morning, and so far, all is good. But last time, the issue didnt come back until ~2 weeks, so I’ll be walking (driving?) on eggshells for the next few weeks hoping that this fix sticks.

Fingers crossed that it works for you.

What is the build date of your M3P? Mine is August, and I picked it up at the Riverside location (it was an inventory car)- could be our cars were from the same batch?

Took my car out this morning, and so far, all is good. But last time, the issue didnt come back until ~2 weeks, so I’ll be walking (driving?) on eggshells for the next few weeks hoping that this fix sticks.
MSP (not model 3)-March 2023 build. Pic up Palm Springs, CA.

MSP (not model 3)-March 2023 build. Pic up Palm Springs, CA.

Oops, meant MSP. So doesn’t look like our cars were from the same batch. It’s odd, between here, and the Facebook model s plaid forum, I’ve seen mention of several cars with this issue- some easily resolved, and I think 1 or 2 that wound up lemon lawed. But it seems that the only similarities is that it’s in MSPs and frozen GPS. Odd.

So, GPS seems to be working normally, but:

In the garage with the garage door open, If I go to service menu, I get 0 satellites in use and dead recking (basically the same pic as what I see in post # 10 of this thread. When i exit garage, usually by the time I back up out of the driveway, all is good with regard to satellites. I do see the screen sort of “refresh“ as I start to move- It seems to me that the “refresh“ happens when it locks on GPS signal.

When I park my Model 3P in the garage and go to service menu, I get a few satellites in use, and valid GNSS fix.

So it appears that my Model S loses GPS fix in my garage, while my Model 3 doesn’t. I’m wondering if this is normal, or if I need to do another service visit?

Has anyone else tried going to the service menu while the car is in the garage with the garage door open? What do you see with regards to satellites and GNSS fix?

Am I overthinking this?

Last edited:
So, GPS seems to be working normally, but:

In the garage with the garage door open, If I go to service menu, I get 0 satellites in use and dead recking (basically the same pic as what I see in post # 10 of this thread. When i exit garage, usually by the time I back up out of the driveway, all is good with regard to satellites. I do see the screen sort of “refresh“ as I start to move- It seems to me that the “refresh“ happens when it locks on GPS signal.

When I park my Model 3P in the garage and go to service menu, I get a few satellites in use, and valid GNSS fix.

So it appears that my Model S loses GPS fix in my garage, while my Model 3 doesn’t. I’m wondering if this is normal, or if I need to do another service visit?

Has anyone else tried going to the service menu while the car is in the garage with the garage door open? What do you see with regards to satellites and GNSS fix?

Am I overthinking this?
Just checked my 2023 MSP IN GARAGE-see pic. The minute I pull out of garage, Sats connect and HomeLink direct closes garage door ok in 60 feet. I did just have the Car Computer replaced because GPS was frozen or Way off. Garage door was open, no change.

IMG_6592.jpeg

Just checked my 2023 MSP IN GARAGE-see pic. The minute I pull out of garage, Sats connect and HomeLink direct closes garage door ok in 60 feet. I did just have the Car Computer replaced because GPS was frozen or Way off. Garage door was open, no change.

Thanks! That’s what I’m seeing. My homelink works properly when I exit the garage (I don’t have it set to auto close). Once I exit garage, and switch from reverse to drive, the screen does the refresh thing (not sure what exactly it is, but screen appears to blink) and I can see the map move as I move. One time it did take about 30 seconds to “refresh” after switching to drive, but then it refreshed and GPS worked as normal.

Thanks! That’s what I’m seeing. My homelink works properly when I exit the garage (I don’t have it set to auto close). Once I exit garage, and switch from reverse to drive, the screen does the refresh thing (not sure what exactly it is, but screen appears to blink) and I can see the map move as I move. One time it did take about 30 seconds to “refresh” after switching to drive, but then it refreshed and GPS worked as normal.
Just FYI- I Do have HomeLink set to auto Close and Auto Open at 60 feet. Works perfect👍 I have not noticed a screen blink or mini map shift leaving garage, but then again I’m too preoccupied carefully pulling out of a very tight fit garage.

IMG_5909.jpeg

Reactions: f308gt4
Well, here we go again. Everything was working fine since my last post up until last weekend. Started getting multiple freezes. Seems to happen after the car has been in a garage for a while. When I exit, GPS is frozen and persists for about 10 minutes or so until it comes back. Has happened 4 times now since last weekend.

Service scheduled for next Thursday.

I notice this happens when I am backing out and the car switches from my Home WiFi to LTE phone link. The map can't update without the connection, and LTE sometimes takes 2 - 3 minutes after I start out to get the connection, because the signal is low in my area. Check if the car has a cell connection when this happens.

Thanks, will do. It happened today at the parking garage at work. I will check what the reception is like there. It is a new job, and I only go in 1-2x per week. 2 of the times that it’s happened were after leaving work. But it also happened after leaving my home garage on 2 occasions, which hasn’t happened since the last time I had this issue over a month ago.

Fwiw, today when I came in to work , I was on a call, and stayed on the call in the garage for about 15 minutes before going into the office. So my phone at least gets reception, but maybe the car isnt?

Unlikely if you have AT&T cell service on your phone, as that is what Tesla uses.

I have Verizon on my cell phone. I parked in the garage at work today and noticed that I had bars in the car for internet service. Nonetheless, when exiting, the GPS was frozen. Went into service mode and noted no GPS satellites, but did see cell service. After driving for about 10 minutes, GPS started working again.

I sent the pics from service menu to Tesla service. When I set up my appt they told me that the techs requested as close to an exact time as possible when the issue is occurring so that they can look into the data at the specific time. Otherwise they can only function test on the day of the appointment. This is the first time GPS was frozen since I made my service appt, so I sent them the details. If it happens again, I will send to them again.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Got my car back today (apparently, the service dept is open 7 days a week, even though the official office hours list is as closed). Notes are listed below. Hopefully this is the final fix. I think, per the California lemon laws, if it isn’t fixed this time, I should be able to return the car. But I hope it’s fixed for good, as I love the car, other than the faulty GPS.

IMG_0299.png

Fwiw, they gave me a Plaid loaner with Yoke. After driving it for a few days, I got pretty used to the yoke. But as soon as I got into my car with the traditional steering wheel, I felt that it was way better than the yoke. My opinion, YMMV, but I’m still glad I got the steering wheel. The only benefit of the yoke for me was better visibility of the instrument cluster.