Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see this as a not good sign. This is the kind of thing the big OEM's do. I've honestly been thinking the media is way off and that Tesla is doing well. But this move reeks of desperation.

They're evaluating all cost savings possible. The homelink isn't cheap from any mfger, and $300 is cheaper than most vehicles charge for it. Not everyone needs it, not everyone has a garage or gate. It makes sense to make it optional and they benefit from raising margins.

Additionally, this is $300 after the fact, which includes labor for install. So Tesla is charging maybe $200 or $250 for it.

But they didn't cut the price by US$300
Or should we think they didn't increase the $ again by $300?

Yah I get that. But margin and profit is important. They may piss off 30 percent of the buyers but the rest of us could give a crap. And if Tesla doesn’t start making money none of us we’ll be able to get shiny new Tesla’s. They are struggling. They need to do what it takes.

We just put a 2000 dollar deposit on a 2020 Nissan Leaf SL Eplus. I had no choice but to get the Homelink feature. Wish it would have been an option. When we get a model Y hopefully it will be an option and not in the price.

So I ordered in March and am taking delivery a week from today... Better be included or I'll have to fight for it.

It should be, I had the same thought... I ordered on Sunday, and they were trying to make me take delivery this coming Sunday but thankfully got them to move it, as letting me know today at 5 pm makes it nearly impossible to secure financing before then. I'll let you know, as I assume if you ordered in March, yours is likely built just slowly shipping across the country. It is the single worst part of Tesla ownership... waiting to take delivery.

They should have left it in the premium interior, and taken it out of the partial interior as they did. I cant think of any other car made now with anything called a "premium" interior that does not have built in homelink option that can be installed from the factory.

I dont mind the money actually, but it should NOT be an "after delivery" option. IF they want to charge for it, it should be a check box on the order form, with the cost. Make it easy for someone to pay for it easy in the online order form.

This is the absolute wrong way to do this, in my opinion.

They're evaluating all cost savings possible. The homelink isn't cheap from any mfger, and $300 is cheaper than most vehicles charge for it. Not everyone needs it, not everyone has a garage or gate. It makes sense to make it optional and they benefit from raising margins.

Additionally, this is $300 after the fact, which includes labor for install. So Tesla is charging maybe $200 or $250 for it.

It is 2019. Homelink is like power windows.

But as I said, it just "feels" like the crap the big OEM's would do. Yeah, I'm a bit cynical, because I was an engineer for one (engine development) for several years, and left for reasons that would fill a book. But this move just seems like a typical penny wise/pound foolish move.

Reactions: Wyman
It is 2019. Homelink is like power windows.

Kinda.. It does not come standard in Mini's (owned by BMW) for example... but in true BMW standard its available as an option like many other options. BMW / Merc / Porsche and to a lesser extent Audi really let you "order exactly what you want" or "nickel and dime you to death" on options, depending on your perspective.

I think it comes with most trims of Hyundai's / Kia's etc... not sure of the japanese cars.

The removal of Homelink itself is not that big of a deal, but if you need it the price of the car just went up by $300. The prices all went up by $400 last week, and that’s after a $1,500 or so price increase in April. Then FSD pricing increased from $5,000 to $6,000. So while earlier in the year everyone was complaining that Tesla prices keep dropping, now it seems they keep rising every couple of weeks...and everyone is complaining again.

Guess it's official, Tesla isn't a luxury sedan. Even my Ford focus had homelink, as well as my old Nissan truck. Hell my volt had it too. Bad though I have to carry around one opener, I certainly wouldn't want to carry around 3 or 4 of them....

Can it still be considered a luxury sedan without something so simple?

I mean you can't even order it installed...

• Disagree
Reactions: Deslah and 67King
TThen FSD pricing increased from $5,000 to $6,000. So while earlier in the year everyone was complaining that Tesla prices keep dropping, now it seems they keep rising every couple of weeks...and everyone is complaining again.

FSD didn't increase in price at all. In order to get FSD, you had to get AP.

Let's look at the configurations:

5k for EAP + 3k for FSD = 8k total to get FSD.

3k for AP + 5k for FSD = 8k total to get FSD.

And now we have:

2k for AP (priced into the car) + 6k for FSD = 8k total to get FSD.

What Tesla did is give us AP For the lowest cost so far, which is great for most people who don't need/want/care about FSD. Meanwhile anyone who wants FSD, gets it. Same price as it always has been. Or if you got lucky, you got it for less during the fire sale or between price changes (like when we had 2k AP and FSD was still 5k).

And if you think about it, FSD now costs the same pre and post purchase of the car, so it's actually more accessible than ever before.

Guess it's official, Tesla isn't a luxury sedan. Even my Ford focus had homelink, as well as my old Nissan truck. Hell my volt had it too. Bad though I have to carry around one opener, I certainly wouldn't want to carry around 3 or 4 of them....

Can it still be considered a luxury sedan without something so simple?

I mean you can't even order it installed...

You mean your Gen 1 Volt had it. Gen 2 doesn't.

It should be, I had the same thought... I ordered on Sunday, and they were trying to make me take delivery this coming Sunday but thankfully got them to move it, as letting me know today at 5 pm makes it nearly impossible to secure financing before then. I'll let you know, as I assume if you ordered in March, yours is likely built just slowly shipping across the country. It is the single worst part of Tesla ownership... waiting to take delivery.

I guess if you don't have a VIN yet, you're out of luck? it will not be included on my order (placed 1.5 weeks ago). URGH. was looking forward to that feature where you pull in close to your driveway and the door will automagically open. Pull away a certain distance when leaving, and it will close. Sad..