Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink installation fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Mobile came out to install my homelink. Physically installed it, but couldn’t get his computer to connect to my car. He tried a hard reset and still couldn’t get it to connect. Anyone else run into this?

Exact same situation when mobile ranger arrived to install Homelink. Tried several times to get his computer to talk to the Y. Then tried a different computer - same result. Finally swapped the connection cable and established contact.

Took him most of an hour to connect, about 5 minutes to install Homelink.

$174 savings, not bad! Can you elaborate more on the process of how you found the home link, disconnect, install and what Tesla said when you told them you had your own? Thanks!
Ebay is the source. Had setup an alert when new items appear under "Tesla Homelink" query string. I saw someone activated a module from Model X, but not sure how to mount it. So I filter out only model 3/Y modules.
Quite important to get the bracket, bolt is not that big of a deal, mine didn't come with it, so used some M6(?) I had.

In Tesla app, set up an appointment under "Software"->"Driver Asistance features", a person texted asking for details. Make sure to tell that it is installed already and all you need is the activation. They asked where did I get it from, and I said I got it from friend's Model 3, who doesn't have a garage and has no use for Homelink. Tech showed up, and he didn't really care about where is it from, but his guess about junk yard was confirmed by me:)