Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink on MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And.... You can disregard my last. In true Tesla deentralized spirit... Local Service Center called me about 30 minutes after I posted the message above.

Mobile Tech came, took about 30 seconds to mount the module, using the supplied bracket and screw (it is tricky, screws in from the front but you do not/not need to remove the front fascia to make it happen), jack in his laptop to force the update and establish comms with the mothership. I then let the car sleep for about an hour, turned on, did a force reboot (foot on brake, pushing in on both steering buttons until the Black Screen of Reboot), and Home Link was on display ready for programming. Works perfect.

Good Luck and apologies for any confusion

SS

• Informative
Reactions: im4uttx and liuping
I bought mine while it was still on the Model Y page in the shop (USD 300), and it was shipped as such. From everything I have seen/been told, it is the same one as the Model 3 and the module/bracket fit perfectly onto the new, offset mounting spot on the front, left of the Y after you remove the frunk tub.

SS

ok, thanks.
seems pretty bogus to pay $300 for something so universally available for so many decades.
and it makes sense that if your order pages included the homelink system when you put your $2,500 down that tesla would have to install it in your car without charging you again for it.

Yes agreed, I was pretty pissed. Then I sucked it up, ordered Homelink had it installed and simply love how amazingly well it works.

It is well well worth the $300

Not sure if anyone heard this? I forgot where, but I heard rumor that Tesla might use wifi to control garage doors that is wifi capable to open and close it? This is why I am holding out on getting a homelink since my garage door is wifi capable.

Unfortunately the HomeLink module i was shipped is defective...luckily i got a Tesla mobile tech who knew what the heck he was doing and was able to rush me a new one. The tech even came back out a 2nd time the same day, to try to get the first one to work

Semi-related: Saw on twitter today that someone asked Elon if those of us with wifi garage doors could get a button on the screen to open/close them, and in usual Elon style he said coming soon. So that will be another possible solution down the road.

Ryan Knapp on Twitter
haha, that's where it was from. i couldn't remember where I read about it. i am holding out on ordering the Homelink because of this since my garage door is wifi capable.

Confused about Homelink. Is it just a garage door opener, or is there more to it than that?

If you have FSD, Summon can open/close the garage door and pull out/in your car.

20200414_062405.jpg

Just took delivery of my model Y and I thought I had every conceivable option. I can guarantee that the home link function is not available in any trim. I have a performance Y premium interior with full self driving. Everything seemed great until I spent an hour trying to find the home link option. I have three Tesla’s now so I’m no newbie. When I called Tesla Sales the next day I said, so my car can drive by itself from Atlanta to Tampa, but it can’t open my garage when I arrive home.” Is Elon telling me that more $75,000 full self driving car can’t open a garage.” How disappointing. I actually go into the Tesla app pull up my model 3 or X and ask them to open the door for me. It’s really ironic that my 12 year old trade in has a more advanced garage door opener. Completely frustrating that a fully optioned car can’t do a simple task. I’m a huge Tesla fan, obviously with 3 cars, but this is outrageous.

Yeah @XY-3, cheap move by Tesla. It was confirmed back in Feb that Homelink is not included in the Model Y. It can be installed by Tesla for $300. Here's another long thread about Model Y Homelink woes: Homelink
I don't have my Model Y, but I have Homelink module coming to my house in the next couple of days. It is the epitome of dumb to not simply have this listed as an option during purchase, and having the delivery center install prior to pickup.

Reactions: spsheridan
I don't have my Model Y, but I have Homelink module coming to my house in the next couple of days. It is the epitome of dumb to not simply have this listed as an option during purchase, and having the delivery center install prior to pickup.

Don't worry. You strike me as the kind of person who's going to have all kinds of things that need to be addressed, post- delivery. So, just add it to your list on the Service Appointment in your app and Mobile Service can install it, like they've done for the rest of us plebes.

As for the rest of you jamokes bitching about it not being included. Yeah, it sucks, but it wasn't, so get over it and either pay for the ability/enjoy it, or don't.

I asked about it being installed at the SC when we picked up and got nowhere, as I had mine in-hand before delivery as well. Honestly, I was happier having it done in my garage where I could watch and poke around in the hood areas without the plastic in the way. Got acquainted with the heat pump and the Octovalve as a result. Make yo Lemonade, Foo's!

Don't worry. You strike me as the kind of person who's going to have all kinds of things that need to be addressed, post- delivery. So, just add it to your list on the Service Appointment in your app and Mobile Service can install it, like they've done for the rest of us plebes.

As for the rest of you jamokes bitching about it not being included. Yeah, it sucks, but it wasn't, so get over it and either pay for the ability/enjoy it, or don't.

I asked about it being installed at the SC when we picked up and got nowhere, as I had mine in-hand before delivery as well. Honestly, I was happier having it done in my garage where I could watch and poke around in the hood areas without the plastic in the way. Got acquainted with the heat pump and the Octovalve as a result. Make yo Lemonade, Foo's!

You must have me confused with some of the malcontents. I'm just stating a fact about the logistics of getting this on a new MY/M3.

I wonder if service center can remove my homelink in my model 3, that I am trading in, and put into my model y when I go to pick it up. Has anyone tried or asked about this yet? It’s seems to be the exact same part.