Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink operation in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve also set mine to manual. But I now have a new issue. Before the last software update, when I put into reverse, the home link button use to be on the top left corner for me to close the garage door. Now that button is missing and I have to either open up the vehicle screen or close the reverse camera and open the rear camera manually to use the home link. Any advice on how to “fix” this? Did I mistakenly “unchecked” or changed an option?
weird. I have homelink menu "auto-present" on top of the backup camera view.

preview

I too am having this problem. It is annoying. Should be a software fix. Aside from this one issue, the new rear camera view is a game changer for me.
I would love to see it be a software fix (or option) but I'm afraid it will turn out to have been intentional due to the many whiners saying you shouldn't be able to do anything to cover the backup camera or make it go away unexpectedly.
weird. I have homelink menu "auto-present" on top of the backup camera view.
It will only auto-present "when GPS tells it to." (Quotes because I have no authorative knowledge that is actually the trigger) For whatever reason, this often doesn't happen when you're parked inside of a garage. I use auto-close, so this wouldn't bother me except auto-close never works. Nonetheless, the workaround for this "issue" is to tap the homelink icon before putting the vehicle in reverse. Since I seldom remember to tap the homelink icon before backing up, I pop it in neutral while I'm rolling down my driveway, hit the button, and then pop it in reverse again. Once again, Tesla programming to deal with stupidity and "dangerous" (under some circumstances where one should simply act accordingly) behavior has lead me to do something that is arguable more stupid and more dangerous. It's even more fun on occasion, because it's surfaced some bug where I apparently have to tap the brake to shift from neutral into reverse even though I'm already rolling backwards, so then I don't have the camera and am focusing on something other than the reversing task for even longer.

Don’t mean to hijack this tread but I think the GPS Homelink option can be dangerous. I think it’s better to do the opening and closing of the garage manually. This has been my experience that I would like to share. We have a 4 car garage and normally the MX lives in the 1st bay and takes up two spots. A couple of weeks ago it was raining so my wife pulled in our pick-up into the 1st bay to load some food for a neighbor that was undergoing treatment for cancer. The pickup has a long bed so it sticks out but the wheels were far enough into the garage so it doesn’t block the garage sensors. I pulled into our driveway and the GPS Homelink triggered the garage door which was open to close onto our pickup’ tonneau cover. No damage occurred as the garage door has a safety reversing mechanism but the point can be dangerous so be careful.

If you want the best of both worlds, you can install an additional set of safety sensors.

They're designed to detect kids and animals at about a foot off the ground, but you can pick up a spare set and wire them in at about door handle height. This way it'll always read there's a blockage and prevent closing if your car is halfway in.

In addition to my homelink; which I don't find the most reliable, I have all of my garages automated to close after 30 minutes of inactivity. (Motion sensors in and out of the garage) and the above is the method I use to keep the doors from closing on me.

For whatever reason, this often doesn't happen when you're parked inside of a garage
you are correct it's GPS controlled. It's a100% success for me. Also there's a way to know if it will work or not: when you get into the car and the menu is present, it'll stay present even when you switch into reverse. of course as you state you can press it when it's not present since you know you'll need it. And yes, this is more cumbersome than it needs to be, but Tesla UX designers have funny ideas about usability at times.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I’ve also set mine to manual. But I now have a new issue. Before the last software update, when I put into reverse, the home link button use to be on the top left corner for me to close the garage door. Now that button is missing and I have to either open up the vehicle screen or close the reverse camera and open the rear camera manually to use the home link. Any advice on how to “fix” this? Did I mistakenly “unchecked” or changed an option?

I'm having the same problem after the last software update. I'll check my settings again, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything. It's pretty annoying. Back out of garage, close backup cam, open homelink, smash close button repeatedly (I'm 50/50 on the signal making it to the door opener, but I digress), and then unfold mirrors so I can see behind the car since the video is gone. I feel like I'm living in the stone age! Lol

you are correct it's GPS controlled. It's a100% success for me.
That's wild. The 5% of the time that it pops up for me, it's going to auto-close anyway. The rest of the time, it doesn't pop up or auto close.
I'm having the same problem after the last software update. I'll check my settings again, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything. It's pretty annoying. Back out of garage, close backup cam, open homelink, smash close button repeatedly (I'm 50/50 on the signal making it to the door opener, but I digress), and then unfold mirrors so I can see behind the car since the video is gone. I feel like I'm living in the stone age! Lol
In case you didn't read the entire thread, you can tap the homelink icon to get the menu before shifting into reverse and it will stay in front of the camera. You can then still use the homelink icon to close the menu once you have closed the garage door and you will still have video.

I agree. Set to manual. The auto open close function is very buggy.
hmmm, I am puzzled. I had an issue with it being buggy well more than a year ago, but in the last 12-14 months I have not had a single issue with it opening and closely perfectly every day, twice a day. Not sure how my set-up is different, but I really like it.

Edit. To clarify, I have it set to open as I come home, and set to auto-close as I drive away in the morning. All other times, I manually close.

Last edited:
If you want the best of both worlds, you can install an additional set of safety sensors.

They're designed to detect kids and animals at about a foot off the ground, but you can pick up a spare set and wire them in at about door handle height. This way it'll always read there's a blockage and prevent closing if your car is halfway in.

In addition to my homelink; which I don't find the most reliable, I have all of my garages automated to close after 30 minutes of inactivity. (Motion sensors in and out of the garage) and the above is the method I use to keep the doors from closing on me.
Sounds like we are both doing exactly the same thing. Those extra sensors sure saved a few problems in the past with me or the wife manually closing the door when something valuable was sticking out.

That's wild. The 5% of the time that it pops up for me, it's going to auto-close anyway. The rest of the time, it doesn't pop up or auto close.In case you didn't read the entire thread, you can tap the homelink icon to get the menu before shifting into reverse and it will stay in front of the camera. You can then still use the homelink icon to close the menu once you have closed the garage door and you will still have video.

I found if I wait for my seat to stop moving before shifting into reverse, the homelink menu pops up on it's own sometimes. Before I got AP3 installed, it always popped up. Remembering to hit the homelink button before I shift to reverse will take some time to get used to. But, first world problems I guess.

I haven't looking into EVE for Tesla in a while. Is that still a thing to use with Chamberlain MyQ?

I found if I wait for my seat to stop moving before shifting into reverse, the homelink menu pops up on it's own sometimes. Before I got AP3 installed, it always popped up. Remembering to hit the homelink button before I shift to reverse will take some time to get used to. But, first world problems I guess.

I haven't looking into EVE for Tesla in a while. Is that still a thing to use with Chamberlain MyQ?
My seat doesn't move, but in the rare case where auto-close works for me, I've done something other than put the vehicle in Reverse for a period of time longer than it would take the seat to move to any given position anyway. I have no doubt that there is an order of operations factor here.

I have no idea what you're talking about with EVE and MyQ, might be a good topic for a separate thread.

Homelink in reverse stopped working for me since 2020.28.5. I have to close the rear camera, close garage, and then park and reopen the backup camera (or go into menu and open it). Very annoying for something that worked fine before.

Can anyone confirm if this has been fixed in 2020.28.6?

Homelink in reverse stopped working for me since 2020.28.5. I have to close the rear camera, close garage, and then park and reopen the backup camera (or go into menu and open it). Very annoying for something that worked fine before.

it works for me in both 2020.28.5 and 2020.28.6.

I am one of those owners who hasn't had a problem with homelink opening and closing my garage door, except for what I consider obvious signal strength/directional issues. It's not unlike needing to be close enough to wifi or bluetooth with your phone. If you're close enough, it works. If you're not, it won't. Homelink on the MX is directional and is mounted on the front of the car. If you are too far away from the garage door driving away from the garage, homelink will not communicate with the garage door opener, but I don't consider that a bug. It's just the physics of the way the antenna is mounted to the car. Since I drive straight into my garage, the situation described by the OP is not an issue for me. It's only an issue if I back up my driveway and want to re-open the garage or drive facing away and want to close it. The directional nature of the system makes it a pain on those rare occasions.

I would suggest to the OP to experiment with homelink using manual operation to see what works and then try to set that exact location for auto-open and auto-close. Mine will recognize the garage doors as much as 100 feet away when the car is facing the garage doors.

My green homelink button is still on the upper left of the main screen. I hope a future software update won't move it....

2020.30.2 still has the problem. I think the possible cause is the auto adjusting of the seats, mirror, steering wheel. If I turn that feature off, the homelink menu stays open all the way through my reverse out of the garage. I sent a "bug report"...:p

I'm learning to bring up the homelink menu before I shift into reverse. If I forget, I shift to neutral, open homelink, close garage, shift to reverse.

MX on 2020.36. Problem persists. Really frustrating not having the Homelink icon during reverse.

Agree. Drives me crazy. I thought they would have fixed it by now. If I recall correctly, in the past, the Homelink button was accessible when in reverse, so if it didn't automatically expand, it was no big deal. Now, the button is inaccessible when in reverse, which is incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad I read the workaround in this post at least as I hadn't figured out that trick yet of just pre-expanding it myself before reverse.

If I recall correctly, in the past, the Homelink button was accessible when in reverse, so if it didn't automatically expand, it was no big deal.
You remember correctly. The question is do they consider it broken now or did they hide the buttons on purpose to prevent distraction while reversing. Unfortunately, we can't get the answer to that question. In either case, when the change occurred, the video and radar visualization both moved up (which they should consider a break, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't), so the homelink popup covered more of the picture than it used to. In a later update, they made it so the homelink menu only shows the GPS-active buttons when it shows up automatically, but I have two garage doors, so this "enhancement" only brought my visibility back to where it was before the previous change, and it's still worse when I have to manually pop the homelink menu up before going into reverse.

I have two garage doors, so this "enhancement" only brought my visibility back to where it was before the previous change, and it's still worse when I have to manually pop the homelink menu up before going into reverse.
I also have two gates which are set to open automatically with homelink and it works well, most of the time. If I arrive too quickly then only one gate “wins” the signal race. Also, the inner garage may have been open by others so homelink effectively triggers a close. So in these situations I’m forced to manually trigger the gate (often twice: cancel the close, then open). This where this camera window change drives me nuts - I only see the state of the second gate as I’m reversing - so I have to close the camera window (argh!) and manually trigger the gate or switch the car to park then reverse again. It might be easier to dust off the old garage remote..

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02