Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink operation in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of a bump.

I'm finding that get the Homelink countdown as a drive towards the top of my drive, but when I shift into reverse the counter stops.

I then reverse down my drive and it doesn't count up or down - is this a bug?

I’m resurrecting this thread as I’m having the same exact problem. My Homelink will not work at all when I back into my driveway. Never, no matter how close. Works fine when I pull in. I’ve extended the antenna about 12 feet, all the way to the far street end of the garage. I’ve tried reprogramming it from the street. Facing backwards right at the garage door, at the end of the driveway, the middle of the driveway, etc. Nothing at all will get it to work. I feel like I paid $300 for a POS that is standard (and works) on literally every other can in America. It’s amazingly frustrating.
Wondering if anyone else has come up with additional ideas or solutions?
Thanks,
Pat

I love my X but this is my #1 frustration. I have to stop backing up just before the door, throw it in drive so the homelink kicks in and opens the door, then throw it back in reverse... and wait for the door before finally parking. It’s clunky and frankly embarrassing. I had a MCU upgrade and I swear this wasn’t a problem before the upgrade.

I love my X but this is my #1 frustration. I have to stop backing up just before the door, throw it in drive so the homelink kicks in and opens the door, then throw it back in reverse... and wait for the door before finally parking. It’s clunky and frankly embarrassing. I had a MCU upgrade and I swear this wasn’t a problem before the upgrade.
I found that I have to aim the nose of my y at the garage door, press the Homelink button, then swing around and back in. It’s super ghetto for a $60,000 car. Maddening.

I’m resurrecting this thread as I’m having the same exact problem. My Homelink will not work at all when I back into my driveway. Never, no matter how close. Works fine when I pull in. I’ve extended the antenna about 12 feet, all the way to the far street end of the garage. I’ve tried reprogramming it from the street. Facing backwards right at the garage door, at the end of the driveway, the middle of the driveway, etc. Nothing at all will get it to work. I feel like I paid $300 for a POS that is standard (and works) on literally every other can in America. It’s amazingly frustrating.
Wondering if anyone else has come up with additional ideas or solutions?
Thanks,
Pat
Homelink will not automatically trigger when reversing towards your home location. This is by design since there were too many ppl damaging their cars when they cannot visually confirm the operation. You can reverse up to your door then manually trigger it. The popup will present itself but will not count down. Simply trigger Homelink from the popup when close enough. If the manual trigger does not work, then it is a weak signal or reception problem or a combination of both.

As others have stated, I have never had a trigger unexpectedly. I have have been using it for four years without issue. The transmission of the trigger is a bit weak. And, it can take a bit to completely understand how triggers occur in reference to home location and when the home location is set and reset. Most of the complaints I read here are misinterpreting bad design and user experience with bugs.

Some of you have undoubtedly figured this out...and after owning Teslas for 6 years now kinda embarrassing to admit....BUT we had very odd issues with our Homelink randomly not automatically closing the door when leaving the house. Not long ago we FINALLY realized IF you pull into your garage and then put your car in reverse and back up to give yourself more room in the front of the car, watching the camera to get to your desired postion, the next time you go to leave the Homelink Autotrigger will not work. IF you pull in and put it in park...it will Autotrigger every time.

Posting just in case others have the same issue and haven't already figured it out.

Homelink will not automatically trigger when reversing towards your home location. This is by design since there were too many ppl damaging their cars when they cannot visually confirm the operation. You can reverse up to your door then manually trigger it. The popup will present itself but will not count down. Simply trigger Homelink from the popup when close enough. If the manual trigger does not work, then it is a weak signal or reception problem or a combination of both.

As others have stated, I have never had a trigger unexpectedly. I have have been using it for four years without issue. The transmission of the trigger is a bit weak. And, it can take a bit to completely understand how triggers occur in reference to home location and when the home location is set and reset. Most of the complaints I read here are misinterpreting bad design and user experience with bugs.
Makes it useless when most people back their Tesla's into their garage. Again, a ridiculous $300 option that doesn't work as needed. I feel that working while backing up is not too much to ask.

Don’t mean to hijack this tread but I think the GPS Homelink option can be dangerous. I think it’s better to do the opening and closing of the garage manually. This has been my experience that I would like to share. We have a 4 car garage and normally the MX lives in the 1st bay and takes up two spots. A couple of weeks ago it was raining so my wife pulled in our pick-up into the 1st bay to load some food for a neighbor that was undergoing treatment for cancer. The pickup has a long bed so it sticks out but the wheels were far enough into the garage so it doesn’t block the garage sensors. I pulled into our driveway and the GPS Homelink triggered the garage door which was open to close onto our pickup’ tonneau cover. No damage occurred as the garage door has a safety reversing mechanism but the point can be dangerous so be careful.
I've done the same thing. I open on manual and no longer from the street, I wait until i can see the door. It wasn't on auto when the accident happened - it was me :(

I find it doesn't work at all backing up, regardless of location. I will say "Auto Open" in 10 feet the entire time as I back up 50 feet. The instant I switch from reverse to drive, it triggers. Basically, the Home Link seems to be disabled when the car is in reverse.

I also have the regular problem of the door closing on the car. That is, when leaving, I often open the garage door first: sometimes to take out garbage or whatever reason. Then, as soon as I start to pull out, the door starts to close. You'd think if the car is supposed to use the cameras to have fully autonomous driving, it could use the cameras to see the door is already open and not trigger it in that case. If someone else opened the door before I get home, it also starts to close it as approaching. I expect better.

Reactions: patnshan

The problem for me is, if I manually trigger it, the camera view disappears. I'm still in Reverse, but I can no longer see what I'm backing up to. With the rear cameras, I can see the door opening or not just fine, but once I hit the OPEN button to open the door, I have no idea.

The problem for me is, if I manually trigger it, the camera view disappears. I'm still in Reverse, but I can no longer see what I'm backing up to. With the rear cameras, I can see the door opening or not just fine, but once I hit the OPEN button to open the door, I have no idea.
You can manually switch rear camera back on if lost in this way (or flick to park/reverse) - agree that it’s not ideal.
I’ve two doors that I reverse through (within a few metres of each other) but they trigger as I drive past the end of the drive. If I drive too quickly only one door gets triggered so I need to fumble with the irregularly available homelink menu when in reverse. I’ve found that the menu is typically available on screen if the camera was switched on before reversing- but can go to the full screen view in some cases where you’re forced to close the camera, activate the door and flick the camera back on. I wonder how I used to reverse without a camera hehe.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for getting the Homelink feature to open a garage door in reverse? I have to back into my garage in order to reach the charger so I have to back up my driveway which has a little curve to it. I've set the GPS location by pulling out of my garage and stopping right in front of the door and setting it. The problem is that when I reach that same spot while in reverse backing up my driveway, it doesn't trigger.

My work around is to set the location from the street right in front of my driveway right where I turn around but because of the distance, it only opens about 50% of the time.
This sounds familiar to my situation years ago. I got a piece of insulated wire about 10 feet long and attached it to the short antenna on the garage door opener. Of course you need to strip an inch or so off the end of the antenna and the extended wire to make a better connection, Worked great and hasn't failed in 4 years. Just gives it a bit longer detection range.

If you set it up to automatically open the door, at a minimum, even in reverse, the homelink popup will appear allowing you to open or close the garage without exiting the reverse camera view.