Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it have the ability to auto close when I put the car in park in the garage? And then Auto open when car is put in drive and/or turned on again?

That would be super useful
Yes it does if you enable it, but it isn't specifically to open/close. If your garage door happens to already be open when you approach from the outside, it will start to close on you. However, you always get the little pop-up on the center console that allows you to cancel the action.

Of note, with the "auto-close" setting, make sure no one else is backing out of the garage right after you do, or the same thing will happen - it will start to close on the second vehicle backing out... Ask me how I got a new garage door. :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
I believe that Chaz is an incorrect interpretation. The Auto open is on approach to the garage and the auto close is on departure.

Honestly, the auto open when you put the car in drive would not be advantageous to me. I would not want to wait for the door to open at that point. I hit the button as I walk out of my door into the garage. By the time I'm ready to drive, it is open.

Also, you do need to be very careful with this feature. The automatic sending of the open/close signal can have unintended consequences. Recently my wife was in her car and in front of me driving home. She approached the garage fist and open it and started to pull in, as my car opened the door, which actually closed it on here.

Since then I've raised the safety sensor to the level that it now detects the car, not just the wheels.

I believe that Chaz is an incorrect interpretation. The Auto open is on approach to the garage and the auto close is on departure.

Honestly, the auto open when you put the car in drive would not be advantageous to me. I would not want to wait for the door to open at that point. I hit the button as I walk out of my door into the garage. By the time I'm ready to drive, it is open.

Also, you do need to be very careful with this feature. The automatic sending of the open/close signal can have unintended consequences. Recently my wife was in her car and in front of me driving home. She approached the garage fist and open it and started to pull in, as my car opened the door, which actually closed it on here.

Since then I've raised the safety sensor to the level that it now detects the car, not just the wheels.

luckily i have a two car garge :p

thats why i was thinking auto open when car comes on (i.e. foot on brake)

point taken though ive so far been prudent about looking around when approaching and leaving

I'm a little annoyed about how badly this stuff works.

I have a LiftMaster opener, and I have the Liftmaster keypad on the side of my garage.
The keypad will CLOSE the door if I just hit the ENTER button.
So, there ARE discrete OPEN/CLOSE commands.
But there's not way to teach the car those...