Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. So the option worked fine when it was in service mode plus? They didn’t otherwise have to do anything within toolbox itself?
I don't know how he activated Service Mode Plus, he took out his laptop with an Ethernet cable, but he didn't use it (oh, maybe he connected the car with USB-C port? I'm outside of the car, so I didn't see it). He was always looking at his phone, then my Model Y went into Service Mode Plus. Then nothing special, like everyone did last year, Low Voltage -> HomeLink, activate it.

I went to a Tesla Service center today to ask about having the homelink I installed activated and they told me I had to make a mobile service appointment in the app. After schedulimg the mobile service appointment, I was quoted $56.30 for the install. I told them it was already installed and just needs to be actoivated which should take no more than 3 minutes. I mentioned I could drive to the Service Center 4 miles away to have it activated and they replied that I had to wait to have the mobile service perform the activation. $56.30 for 3 minutes, what a racket! I told them I had no issue performing this task last year myself.

• Informative
Reactions: ag21
Also note that this video demonstrates installing the Homelink module backwards from what the Tesla service manual does.
Agreed. However he does offer correction at 03:55 in description by offering another video where he has put the bracket correctly:

I did put the bracket correctly and it was a pain. There is no easy way to do it but I was able to get it installed. the right way.

Installed this today on my own with no issues. MY 2024 running 2023.44.300.
If you had read the entire thread, you'd realize that this is a software issue introduced in a more recent software update. You are extremely lucy that you are still on 2023.xxx software and that is why you were able to install it. Most of us are on 2024.xxx software that was released in first week of Feb. This issue started with 2024.xxx software. All new Teslas being delivered now are already on 2024.xxx (and beyond) software. So that is why none of us are being able to install while folks with 2023.xxx continue to post that they are successful with the install. We already know that. If you happen to be on 2023.xxx it will work, but if you are on 2024.xxx it won't work. Its as simple as that. Also, I am not aware of any way to go backwards on Tesla software version.

If you had read the entire thread, you'd realize that this is a software issue introduced in a more recent software update. You are extremely lucy that you are still on 2023.xxx software and that is why you were able to install it. Most of us are on 2024.xxx software that was released in first week of Feb. This issue started with 2024.xxx software. All new Teslas being delivered now are already on 2024.xxx (and beyond) software. So that is why none of us are being able to install while folks with 2023.xxx continue to post that they are successful with the install. We already know that. If you happen to be on 2023.xxx it will work, but if you are on 2024.xxx it won't work. Its as simple as that. Also, I am not aware of any way to go backwards on Tesla software version.
Now if someone that has Service Mode Plus can confirm that we don't run into that issue when the retrofit button is clicked while on Service Mode Plus, then I don't mind getting the 1 hour option to enable it but so far no one is able to confirm that. Even if someone tries to run it without the module installed, just to see if the error occurs with the not authorized.

Tried installing Homelink Module and followed all the steps correctly. The module is installed (That screw took forever but I installed it). But now when I go in the Service mode and click on the Homelink Retro fit, I get this authorization error:View attachment 1015635

Does anyone has any suggestions to go past this error? Looks like an authorization error so not sure if Tesla has locked something? Or maybe the module I got is bad? Not clear
I got this error yesterday while reinstalling my Homelink module that I originally bought for a 2020 MY. I scheduled a mobile service appointment and had to answer the question as to whether I had purchased the module with a "Yes". I left a message in the chat for that appointment asking whether it could be addressed remotely. I received a call from a service advisor at the local service center. He wasn't initially aware of a fix for the problem without connecting a laptop, but committed to doing some research. He learned that it was possible to address the issue remotely and did just that! I'm a happy camper now, at least as far as this is concerned. :)

• Informative
Reactions: 355rockit and ag21
I went to a service center today and they wouldn’t help me. They weren’t familiar with the situation and would only offer to sell a new homelink or charge the same in labor to activate mine. I bought mine installed by Tesla in 2020 MY and moved to 2024 MYP. Version 2024.2.7

I went to a service center today and they wouldn’t help me. They weren’t familiar with the situation and would only offer to sell a new homelink or charge the same in labor to activate mine. I bought mine installed by Tesla in 2020 MY and moved to 2024 MYP. Version 2024.2.7
Try a different SC if you have one. Alternatively, try another day and see you can talk to another agent.

Try a different SC if you have one. Alternatively, try another day and see you can talk to another agent.
I went to a different SC today and they wouldn't help at first because the advisor on service chat previously told me that they will not be able to configure my new vehicle with a used homelink. I complained a bit about them just not wanting to help even though they can and referenced this forum and then they said they would send an update to the car but if it doesn't work then I'm out of luck. Well it worked just fine so I thanked them for helping.

Reactions: ag21
I went to a different SC today and they wouldn't help at first because the advisor on service chat previously told me that they will not be able to configure my new vehicle with a used homelink. I complained a bit about them just not wanting to help even though they can and referenced this forum and then they said they would send an update to the car but if it doesn't work then I'm out of luck. Well it worked just fine so I thanked them for helping.
What update did they send? What update did you ask for? Also, what firmware are you on? Thanks!