Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink setup failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that it works, I've noticed that the auto-open feature only works when the car is in drive. I have a long driveway with limited turn-around space and a rear facing garage, so I always back up the driveway. around the corner, and then front into the garage. The door auto-opens when I shift into drive.
In normal working operation, the auto open feature is specifically location based regardless of Drive or Reverse engagement. Mine has always worked for the past year through dozens of updates. I am currently on .44; latest available to me. The behavior is as you approach the location that was programmed, 1) The Homelink drops from top of display. 2) You see distance count down. 3) When hits 0, signal to open is sent. I have an audible sound turn on when command is sent. This occurs whether I am in D or R. As I leave the location, command is sent as I get specified distance away. If at anytime I override the command, it will not send open or close until I leave the location and re-approach. So, it is specifically location based. Be sure to set location exactly where you want the 0 position to be sent. If the location is off, the commands will not be sent as expected. To Reset location:
Resetting the Location of the
HomeLink Device
If you experience situations in which you
sometimes drive up to your HomeLink Device
and it doesn't open, or the HomeLink icon on
the touchscreen's status bar does not display
the dropdown when you approach the device,
you may need to reset the device's location.
To do so, park as close as possible to the
HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and
display the HomeLink settings page by
touching Controls > Settings > HomeLink.
Choose the name of the programmed device,
and touch Reset Location.

With all that said, normal working operation would assume your firmware is operating as expected. If it works on any model with the same hardware specs you have, you should assume the sent firmware from Tesla is good. That doesn't necessarily mean you vehicle received properly. I would assume there is some kind of check sum error report that is run at time of loading similar to firmware update on your PC. I would assume if it didn't work, you vehicle would present an error on load. If you can open and close manually from the display, but the approach and leave location is not working, try reseting location. If it still doesn't work, call support. They can pull logs and troubleshoot. It would work if the conditions I mention above work.

I'd buy it too, even if it were a bit more.

What I don't get is that my keypad, which is also wireless, must already "know" when the door is open, since I can just hit "enter" to shut the door w/o entering a code, but I need to put in a code to open it. I'm imagining there are 2 codes.. one to open, and one to close. The one to open is sent when you type your code, and the one to close is sent when just hitting "enter". Why can't homelink just piggyback on whatever mechanism the keypad uses?
I too have this same keypad, and it does pose an interesting question. Perhaps new garage doors have a 2nd "internal" code specifically for closing doors and they don't make it available to 3rd parties? Or alternatively, the garage door knows when the door is open and when it's closed, and only accepts this internal code when it's already open.

I wish we had an engineer on TMC who could dissect a typical garage door and tell us how it all works.

This occurs whether I am in D or R.

Are you sure about the D or R? From what others have said on the forums, auto-opening in "R" stopped working for them earlier this year. Maybe the model year (or really model week) matters? FWIW, mine is a very recent 2017 AP2.5. Yours sounds older.

In the few days that I've had homelink working, it will *always* open the door the instant I shift into D from R in an unmoving car. Eg, my foot is on the brake after reversing up my drive, and I'm not moving at all. I sit there for a while, nothing happens. I shift into drive, and the door goes up immediately without my location changing at all.

Are you sure about the D or R? From what others have said on the forums, auto-opening in "R" stopped working for them earlier this year.
Yes it works in R. I use it every day.

Maybe the model year (or really model week) matters? FWIW, mine is a very recent 2017 AP2.5. Yours sounds older.
I am sure you noticed I have AP 2.0. Not sure if the other folks were AP 2.0 as well. But, you are right that it might be a AP2.5 issue.

In the few days that I've had homelink working, it will *always* open the door the instant I shift into D from R in an unmoving car. Eg, my foot is on the brake after reversing up my drive, and I'm not moving at all. I sit there for a while, nothing happens. I shift into drive, and the door goes up immediately without my location changing at all.
That sure isn't normal or documented behavior. Even if the location is off, it still should not behave like that. If you haven't already called support, I would do so. They have done a really good job diagnosing a strange problem I was having that required a ranger calling Tesla engineering to find the problem. Which they did promptly and fixed promptly.

Yes it works in R. I use it every day.

I am sure you noticed I have AP 2.0. Not sure if the other folks were AP 2.0 as well. But, you are right that it might be a AP2.5 issue.

That sure isn't normal or documented behavior. Even if the location is off, it still should not behave like that. If you haven't already called support, I would do so. They have done a really good job diagnosing a strange problem I was having that required a ranger calling Tesla engineering to find the problem. Which they did promptly and fixed promptly.
I'm very skeptical about your claims because that behavior stopped working for me about 6 months ago. I stopped using HomeLink 3 months ago, but I'll try again to see if a recent OTA update brought back this behavior.

I'm very skeptical about your claims because that behavior stopped working for me about 6 months ago. I stopped using HomeLink 3 months ago, but I'll try again to see if a recent OTA update brought back this behavior.
I pull forward into my garage with HomeLink opening the door. When I leave, I put in reverse, and when I reach the distance away from home location, it sends the close. I haven't had any issues with it and it has been turned on for a year through all updates up to .44 which is the latest I have received. I haven't hit the .46 or .48 lottery yet.

I pull forward into my garage with HomeLink opening the door. When I leave, I put in reverse, and when I reach the distance away from home location, it sends the close. I haven't had any issues with it and it has been turned on for a year through all updates up to .44 which is the latest I have received. I haven't hit the .46 or .48 lottery yet.
I think I may see the confusion. Both @drewg123 and I have to reverse up our driveways to a rear-facing garage. As we reversing up the drive, HomeLink will not send the "open" trigger, even though we pass the saved GPS co-ordinate. It's not until we put the X into Drive that the "open" trigger is sent, but then we have to wait for the garage to fully open before parking.

In your case, you mentioned the trigger being sent when leaving home, which also works for both @drewg123 and I because we are in D (not reverse) when we leave.

• Informative
Reactions: drewg123
I think I may see the confusion. Both @drewg123 and I have to reverse up our driveways to a rear-facing garage. As we reversing up the drive, HomeLink will not send the "open" trigger, even though we pass the saved GPS co-ordinate. It's not until we put the X into Drive that the "open" trigger is sent, but then we have to wait for the garage to fully open before parking.

In your case, you mentioned the trigger being sent when leaving home, which also works for both @drewg123 and I because we are in D (not reverse) when we leave.
I get it now. Thanks for the explanation. I'll give a try to see what happens for me when I return home Sunday.

I gave it a go tonight. I reversed up my driveway approaching my garage and 0 position. The HomeLink app dropped from top of the display with a starting count of 50 ft. As I neared my garage the counter never moved off 50 ft and did not send command. Looks like it gets as far as preparing to approach the 0 position with expected behavior; HomeLink app drops down, starts count at 50 ft. Bug must be at that point. It never counted down which in turn does not send command at 0 ft. One observation, since the HomeLink dropped down from top of screen, you are able to manually send command easily by pressing the app icon. Not ideal, but easier.

I gave it a go tonight. I reversed up my driveway approaching my garage and 0 position. The HomeLink app dropped from top of the display with a starting count of 50 ft. As I neared my garage the counter never moved off 50 ft and did not send command. Looks like it gets as far as preparing to approach the 0 position with expected behavior; HomeLink app drops down, starts count at 50 ft. Bug must be at that point. It never counted down which in turn does not send command at 0 ft. One observation, since the HomeLink dropped down from top of screen, you are able to manually send command easily by pressing the app icon. Not ideal, but easier.
Thanks for verifying. But I don't think this is a bug, I think it's intentional. When in Reverse, the count-down will not occur to prevent the situation of reversing into a closing garage door. This change was made around June/July 2017.

Last edited: